Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS20 Satellites - momentary magenta

fmalloy
Luminary

RBS20 Satellites - momentary magenta

Brand new RBR20 with 2 RBS20 satellites. Installed yesterday, worked fine. Both satellites have Good backhaul status. Things looked stable so this afternoon updated firmware to V2.5.1.16 using manual update via wired computer to router. Updated satellites first, then router. All went well. About three hours later, music stops streaming and multiple devices lose Wi-Fi connection. I see the nearest satellite turn magenta, about 20 seconds later magenta goes out and Wi-Fi reconnects. 

I have no idea why this happened or if this will happen again, but not happy. I just came from a Nighthawk R7000 that dropped Wi-Fi randomly all the time.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

@fmalloy wrote:

Brand new RBR20 with 2 RBS20 satellites. Installed yesterday, worked fine. Both satellites have Good backhaul status. Things looked stable so this afternoon updated firmware to V2.5.1.16 using manual update via wired computer to router. Updated satellites first, then router. All went well. About three hours later, music stops streaming and multiple devices lose Wi-Fi connection. I see the nearest satellite turn magenta, about 20 seconds later magenta goes out and Wi-Fi reconnects. 

I have no idea why this happened or if this will happen again, but not happy. I just came from a Nighthawk R7000 that dropped Wi-Fi randomly all the time.

Well, it's happened again. Woke up and saw both satellites had a blue light, which means they must have just gotten reconnected. It seems to be a momentary loss of connection as they do come back and the clients are reconnected.

Since I saw both satellites disconnect/reconnect does it imply a problem with the router? If the router loses internet connections do the satellites go magenta or is that a separate connection?

Trying to figure out what is wrong. It's highly intermittent. Looks like it's happened about 3 times in the past 3 days.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

To try to answer the questions (admittedly they are generic):

About factory reset - wouldn't that put the firmware back to the shipped version, undoing the latest firmware install?

I have no idea what the make/model of the modem is. It resides in the attic connected to the dish antenna on my roof. It has been very solid. Would the modem impact router-to-satellite communication?

House is 2400 sq. ft. Distance is about 30 ft between the router and sats. It's a triangle pattern.I get a blue light when i connect the sats.

I am using Auto channel and default 5GHz. Would that impact communcation to the sats?

Yes, I have multiple neighbors nearby. I can see sometimes >10 other Wi-Fi APs from my neighbors. 

I had Fast Roaming on but turned it off. Still lost connection. Would the others really matter for a router-to-satellite connection drop?

It is very solid, but the connection infrequently and randomly drops momentarily, then reconnects.

Message 4 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

It appears the cause of the satellite disconnections is the router rebooting itself. I noticed the satellites reconnecting at about 8AM, and I checked the SHOW STATISTICS at 4pm and the System Up Time is about 8 hours, which would make it restarted at 8AM.

The question is - why is the router rebooting itself?

I dumped my R7000 for rebooting itself. This seems like a big coincidence - could a modem problem cause the router to reboot itself? My modem is in my attic, connected to a dish antenna that beams internet to a repeater (microwave) so I don't have easy access to the modem.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@fmalloy wrote:

To try to answer the questions (admittedly they are generic):

About factory reset - wouldn't that put the firmware back to the shipped version, undoing the latest firmware install?

NO! 

I have no idea what the make/model of the modem is. It resides in the attic connected to the dish antenna on my roof. It has been very solid. Would the modem impact router-to-satellite communication?

House is 2400 sq. ft. Distance is about 30 ft between the router and sats. It's a triangle pattern.I get a blue light when i connect the sats. RBS top ring LED should turn fully OFF after a short period of time being on BLUE. 

I am using Auto channel and default 5GHz. Would that impact communcation to the sats?

Yes, I have multiple neighbors nearby. I can see sometimes >10 other Wi-Fi APs from my neighbors. 

Can you see what channels they are using? This maybe a factor why you maybe seeing odd issues with RBS. 

I had Fast Roaming on but turned it off. Still lost connection. Would the others really matter for a router-to-satellite connection drop? To test this, disconnect the LAN cable from the RBRs WAN port. Then look at the RBS. RBS I believe should not show PINK. 

It is very solid, but the connection infrequently and randomly drops momentarily, then reconnects.

Message 6 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

RBS top ring LED should turn fully OFF after a short period of time being on BLUE. 

When the RBS spontaneously reboots, it turns white, then pulses white for a while, then goes out when it's done rebooting. It doesn't turn blue, the satellites do that.

Can you see what channels they are using? This maybe a factor why you maybe seeing odd issues with RBS. 

Unfortunately i cannot. With my R7000, I changed the channels to avoid interference. When I had interference, I would have Wi-Fi issues but it would not reboot. I will try to play with the channels.

To test this, disconnect the LAN cable from the RBRs WAN port. Then look at the RBS. RBS I believe should not show PINK. 

Not sure I understand this - when I disconnect the cable from the WAN port, it turns pink because there is no internet connection; I think it's supposed to do that, right?

I have to believe I have a bad unit. Sometimes it reboots after 24 hours, sometimes after a few hours. It's random. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do the RBS turn PINK when you disconnected the WAN cable? Just checking this. They shouldn't. 

Something to contact NG support about and see about additional help and information. 

IF you've updated FW, factory reset everything and you still see this issue, i'd check with NG support. 

Message 8 of 10
Iknowbetter
Aspirant

Zero help

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@fmalloy wrote:

RBS top ring LED should turn fully OFF after a short period of time being on BLUE. 

When the RBS spontaneously reboots, it turns white, then pulses white for a while, then goes out when it's done rebooting. It doesn't turn blue, the satellites do that.

Unfortunately i cannot. With my R7000, I changed the channels to avoid interference. When I had interference, I would have Wi-Fi issues but it would not reboot. I will try to play with the channels.

To test this, disconnect the LAN cable from the RBRs WAN port. Then look at the RBS. RBS I believe should not show PINK. 

Not sure I understand this - when I disconnect the cable from the WAN port, it turns pink because there is no internet connection; I think it's supposed to do that, right?

I have to believe I have a bad unit. Sometimes it reboots after 24 hours, sometimes after a few hours. It's random. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7