Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS20 firmware downloads V2.7.3.22 say corrupted when try to unzip.

deandec
Aspirant

RBS20 firmware downloads V2.7.3.22 say corrupted when try to unzip.

Firmware for RBS20 Satellite downloaded several times from Orbilogin says it is Corrupted when I try to extract the version V2.7.3.22 .

The Router RBR20 updated fine with the new Firmware.

Now the RBS 20 power LED flashes Red which indicates the installed firmware is Corrupted.

I have not been able to Reset the Satellite with the reset button.

Orbilognin Administrative does not find the Satellite so that it can be rebooted.

Any have ideas for my next steps?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sometimes the reset button has to be held longer than one would expect (15 seconds).

Otherwise, you could try using TFTP to load the satellite firmware:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

TFTP is a bit tricky to use because it has to be timed "just right". There is a brief window when the device turns on when it looks for a TFTP connection.  Too early is no good.  And, too late means "I'm not looking any more."  It has taken my 5-6 attempts to get firmware to load.

That pre-supposes that you can download a good image file for the RBS20.  If Windows says the file is corrupted when you go to un-zip it, there's no point in trying TFTP.

Message 2 of 6
deandec
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply CrimpOn.

Those solutions do not seem to address my problem.

The Satellite is the issue, not the router, and Orbilogon app does not find the RBS20 Satellite either through set up, reboot or update functions.  So I cannot correct the Satellite firmware issue.

Also, I cannot reboot the Satellite using the Reset button.

I have held the button with the power on for 60 seconds several times with no reboot.

Also have tried the 30=30=30 recommendation and no reboot occurred.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

TFTP works on satellites as well as routers. (I have used it to load firmware on an RBS50 that came 'out of the box' not working.)

Also check this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-corrupt-firmware/td-p/1636597 

Using TFTP is not trivial:

• Both the computer running TFTP and the Satellite have to connected directly to each other with an ethernet cable.
    (Most ethernet interfaces are now 'autosensing' so a crossover cable is no longer required as it was in the 'old days')
  • The computer has to have a static IP address.
  • It can take several tries (once took me 6) to get the timing 'just right'.
  • After TFTP says the firmware actually got sent to the Satellite, everything has to be 'undone'. Undo the static IP. Remove the cable. etc.
Message 4 of 6
deandec
Aspirant

I have tried downloading the Firmware update using both Microsoft Edge and Chrome browsers.  Also downloaded the second most recent firmware version for the RBS20.

All return the answer, "the file is corrupted" when I try to extract them from the Zip file.

I was hoping that there was a means to restore the Satellite to "factory" status but that feature seems to be deactivated also.

If Netgear does this to customers, I do not need them. 

I did have two years of great success with the Orbi system and do have the opportunity to return it to the seller.  So will do so.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@deandec wrote:

I was hoping that there was a means to restore the Satellite to "factory" status but that feature seems to be deactivated also.

Reset to Factory is msleading. It should read, "Remove all user changes and restore the factory parameters".  My guess is that most consumer electronics does this as well.  i.e. I have updated my Wyze Cam firmware three times in the past two years.  If I stick a paperclip in that tiny Reset hole, I doubt that the firmware that it came with will magically reappear.  All  that will happen is that it will forget all of my user settings and return to "ready to set up" condition.

Was the zip file deleted each time before downloading a new copy?  The Chrome browser often tells me it cannot unpack an update, but when I just do it again, it works.  Other browsers never seem to have a problem.

An amazing return policy.  Hope you find a system that works for you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7