Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS40 solid blue light stays on permanently

sir_percival
Tutor

RBS40 solid blue light stays on permanently

Has anyone found the fix to the solid blue light that stays on?

My RBS40 satellite has this problem ever since I bought it.

Can tech support put in a fix to disable the light so I can place it in my bedroom?

I seen a few posts in the past year but no one has ever addressed a proper fix.

One suggestion was to unplug and replug it from the outlet. 

I also tried as a test moving it closer to the same floor as the main router.

Unfortunately, both ways did not work for me.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 11
budy
Luminary

Betreff: RBS40 solid blue light stays on permanently

This is really strange, as the LED ring should only show blue for some limited time, after the backhaul connection has been established and indicate a good signal strengh/good connection.

If the satellite is working fine, you could just login via the telnet interface and shut off the LED ring and see, if the blue LED ring returns. To do that, login to the satellites web UI and access the debug.htm page, where you can enable the telnet port. Afterwards use telnet to log in to the satellite's OS and simply issue tha follwing command on the terminal:

/sbin/ledcontrol -n all -s off

This will shut down the LED ring until it gets again activated by some other process.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 11
sir_percival
Tutor

Unfortunately, after following the steps outlined, My satellite still is showing solid blue.

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 3 of 11
budy
Luminary

You issued ledcontrol on the satellite and the LED went out… and it then came online again? Did the satellite restart - or the router for that matter? As I said, the LED ring would only light up again, of triggered by the Orbi OS.

Message 4 of 11
sir_percival
Tutor

I issued the command but the blue light from the sattelite did not change, it remained solid blue.  Both the satelite or the router did not restart.  For what its worth, I was able to login via telnet and copied and pasted your command and did not receive any confirmation returned.

Message 5 of 11
budy
Luminary

yeah - there is actually no output from ledcontrol… NG seems to think, that it's unlikely - even close to improbable, that ony human will ever issue this command manually, so why bother with some output?

Anyway, if the LED ring stays on, then there's maybe something wrong with your satellite. In this case, I'd actually suggest to power-cycle it and see, if this goes away.

Message 6 of 11
LWGma2016
Aspirant

How do I power cycle the satellite (to get the blue light to turn off)???
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe a power button in back of the satellite. Or unplug the satelllite from the wall out let.

@LWGma2016 wrote:

Message 8 of 11
sir_percival
Tutor

Unfortunately, after an hour and a half with tech support of them troubleshooting some of the steps I already did, they reluctantly sent me a replacement unit under warranty.  This new unit has worked without a hitch.  I recommmend you contact tech support if the steps outlined here does not work  instead of in my case wasting hours on end trying to figure it out as it was definitely a hardware issue in my case.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting and letting us know. Glad the new unit works. Seems like a HW failure for sure. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@sir_percival wrote:

Unfortunately, after an hour and a half with tech support of them troubleshooting some of the steps I already did, they reluctantly sent me a replacement unit under warranty.  This new unit has worked without a hitch.  I recommmend you contact tech support if the steps outlined here does not work  instead of in my case wasting hours on end trying to figure it out as it was definitely a hardware issue in my case.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Your unit might be to be replaced as per @sir_percival

@LWGma2016 wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7