Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40V latest firmware update fails, even manually!

SnoBoyBB
Aspirant

RBS40V latest firmware update fails, even manually!

RBS40V latest firmware 2.6.2.8 fails automatic update and the downloaded file when trying a manual update doesn't contain a .img file. When I get the .ZIP file, there are only the two files RBS40V-V2.6.2.8_1.0.1.chk and RBS40V-V2.6.2.8_1.0.1_Release_Notes.html.inside the ZIP file. Updating requires an .img file.Even the previous firmware file has no .img file in it.

Any way to get NETGEAR to fix the downloading issue?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS40V latest firmware update fails, even manually!

@SnoBoyBB wrote:

RBS40V latest firmware 2.6.2.8 fails automatic update and the downloaded file when trying a manual update doesn't contain a .img file. When I get the .ZIP file, there are only the two files RBS40V-V2.6.2.8_1.0.1.chk and RBS40V-V2.6.2.8_1.0.1_Release_Notes.html.inside the ZIP file. Updating requires an .img file.Even the previous firmware file has no .img file in it.

Unfortunately, Netgear engineers chose to use different file extensions for firmware images.  The original Orbi products used *.img for their firmware file names.  Other products, such as the RBS40V (and many, many others) use *.chk

When I update the RBS40V, I connect directly to the satellite using its IP address, then select the menu item Firmware Update.  When told to Browse to find the file, select that *.chk file.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded currently on the RBS40v? 

What browser are you using to send the FW file to the RBSs web page? 

Try changing the .chk to a .img and then see if the RBS will accept the file using the web browser...

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@SnoBoyBB wrote:

Unfortunately, Netgear engineers chose to use different file extensions for firmware images.  The original Orbi products used *.img for their firmware file names.  Other products, such as the RBS40V (and many, many others) use *.chk

When I update the RBS40V, I connect directly to the satellite using its IP address, then select the menu item Firmware Update.  When told to Browse to find the file, select that *.chk file.

Message 3 of 5
SnoBoyBB
Aspirant

I solved it by connecting the RBS40V with an Ethernet cable to the router, then logged into the IP address of the RBS40V. I was then able to update it with the .CHK file. Then I read your response, which is essentially what I did to get the update done! So you are correct, so I gave you kudos.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

It should not have been necessary to physically move the RBS40V to make a manual firmware update by connecting to the IP address.  I update mine when connected over WiFi.  If that fails in the future, I'll try the Ethernet backhaul cable approach. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7