Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40v Keeps disconnecting Alexa?

Bodack
Guide

RBS40v Keeps disconnecting Alexa?

Hey all,

My Orbi voice keeps randomly disconnecting from alexa in general. As I reset up it works for a little bit but then a day later it randomly says to check alexa / orbi app settings. For whatever reason everything is connected fine upon checking, but it always gives me that type of error. Anyone know a fix?
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS40v Keeps disconnecting Alexa?

Does it 'speak' this message, or does it appear on the app?

Message 2 of 13
Bodack
Guide

It will specifically speak this message indefinitely after a few days after resetting it. Like example I reset via the app now and it listens to me, but probably 3 days from now will start doing it again which is annoying. Is there a previous firmware that runs better that I should downgrade to maybe?
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Beats me. Do not recall ever hearing a message like that. Hope another Orbi voice owner sees your post.
Message 4 of 13
Bodack
Guide

The message is as is:

"Sorry. I'm having trouble understanding right now. For help go to the Netgear Orbi App."

It repeatedly goes from working and not working. The app doesn't give any help options either.

Message 5 of 13
MarkRamos
Aspirant

I currently have an Alexa Echo speaker right in the middle of the house, on the first floor in a center location. I have also have a wired Gigabit ethernet connection available in this central location.

I wanted to potentially disable the Wifi on the router, but still keep it as a router, and install an RBS40V in the center location using wired backhaul to the router(essentially as an access point).

Message 6 of 13
DanInGA
Tutor

Same exact problem here for months, same model, RBS40v.  I can reset it in the Alexa app and it works for a bit, but it happens again sometimes within 30 min to 1 hr..  I have searched all over the internet and have found no solution as of yet.  

I did find this one article, but tried it and the problem continues.  Hope it works for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Alexa-App-shows-Orbi-Voice-satellite-as-Disconnected-but/td-p/... 

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 7 of 13
Bodack
Guide

Honestly never found a solution and netgear kept sending tech support calls when I was at work. Barely could work with on my schedule. I have a paperweight I guess
Message 8 of 13
Sfuriya
Aspirant

Did you ever find a solution? I get this all the time. When I can be bothered I reinstall Alexa and then she works for a few minutes and then it’s back to “I’m sorry - I’m having a hard time understanding right now” and then I give up.
The satellite is working fine just not the Voice part.
Message 9 of 13
culpeperlefty
Aspirant

Same exact problem wondering if any solutions. If I turn off the Orbi Voice Alexa works for a short time but then defaults to "Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding right now. For help go to the Orbi app"

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@culpeperlefty wrote:

Same exact problem wondering if any solutions. If I turn off the Orbi Voice Alexa works for a short time but then defaults to "Sorry I'm having a hard time understanding right now. For help go to the Orbi app"

Is this a typing error? ("off")

Message 11 of 13
Bodack
Guide

I never had a solution and netgear repeatedly picked inconvenient times for me to troubleshoot to help fix. I wonder if they would ever offer me a device that just.. worked.

He is right thought power on and off the device it might work for an hour then it resumes to not know anything
Message 12 of 13
culpeperlefty
Aspirant

Not sure how but it seems to be working correctly now.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7