Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 2.2.1.210 Can't Obtain IP Address

vardelda
Aspirant

RBS50 2.2.1.210 Can't Obtain IP Address

RBR50 with two RBS50 and one RBS40 -- all were working fine then Comcast went down last night.   Router came back up but would not supply IP addresses.  After a few resets, it started selectively supplying IP addresses (2 or 3 devices out of 30).  The Satellites sit in solid magenta state.  

This morning reset everything a couple more times and now RBR50 is supplying IP Addresses to a few more devices (phones, the computer I'm typing this on, etc.) but not to Satellites and not to some other devices.  

When logged into Orbi router, Satellites show connected with 'Good' backhaul status.  All 3 satellites still show solid magenta ring.  Oddly, the IP address listed is the same for all 3 devices (192.168.1.250)?  Any ideas how to troubleshoot IP Address assignment?  

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 2.2.1.210 Can't Obtain IP Address

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
I would power OFF the ISP Modem, Orbi router and satellites for 1 minute, then power ON the ISP modem,let it sync. Power ON the Orbi router and let it come to ready. Use 1 wired or wireless PC to check internet access and services. If you good here, power ON 1 satellite and wait for it to come to ready. Top led turn turn on BLUE. If so, turn on the next satellite and wait for BLUE. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Suggestions to try:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
I would power OFF the ISP Modem, Orbi router and satellites for 1 minute, then power ON the ISP modem,let it sync. Power ON the Orbi router and let it come to ready. Use 1 wired or wireless PC to check internet access and services. If you good here, power ON 1 satellite and wait for it to come to ready. Top led turn turn on BLUE. If so, turn on the next satellite and wait for BLUE. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Suggestions to try:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 12
vardelda
Aspirant

It appears to be a faulty PoE adapter.  I'd already cycled modems/routers/satellites in sequence multiple times.  So this time, I disconnected everything (ethernet, Alexa, Sonos, IPCams, etc.) and started adding back in one at a time.  When I connected the router to my ethernet switch, I start having IP issues.  Its either the switch or the PoE adapter powering it, but the PoE adapter is cracked so starting there.  The RBS50/40 can connect to the RBR50 when ethernet is disconnected.

I notice you suggested disabling IPv6 -- any particular reason?  Should this be enabled under normal operation?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Orbi sees issues with manages switches vs NON Managed switches. Having to do with IGMP protocols on managed switches. 

If your ISP doesn't nativaly support IPv6, it can be disabled. 

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@vardelda wrote:

.......  So this time, I disconnected everything (ethernet, Alexa, Sonos, IPCams, etc.) and started adding back in one at a time.  When I connected the router to my ethernet switch, I start having IP issues. 

Do you have the Sonos speakers wired to Orbi?

I had too many strange issues when I had my mesh audio system wired to my Orbi Satellite. All issues were gone when I disconnected those wired speakers and connected them wirelessly instead.

These devices cause loops in the base stations .in current Orbi SW- that affect the system performance and cause many strange issues that can'r be -logically- explained. 

Please test to disconnect your wired speakers and see if you get any improvement...

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Not all problems stem from Sonos. "When I connected the router to my ethernet switch, I start having IP issues.  Its either the switch or the PoE adapter powering it, but the PoE adapter is cracked so starting there."

Message 6 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not all problems stem from Sonos. "....

Correct, but wired Sonos will always cause different unexplainable issues when connected to the LAN ports of Orbi, especially when you wire more than one speaker.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well he did mention he already disconnected everything. Also he mentioned that the problem started when re-connecting to the switch and PoE adapter so I presume this problem is there. We also need to find out if he's using a managed switch or not. 

Message 8 of 12
vardelda
Aspirant

To be clear:  My Orbi mesh is working as normal now.  I have reconnected everything except the ethernet.  I will test later by reconnecting the ethernet switch and see if its a direct failure or something less logical.

As for other points:

- I've learned lots of people - particularly Comcast technicians -- believe evil of Sonos.  I'll never claim to be a sonos expert, but I've got a Bridge wired to Orbi Router, an old Connect hanging off the far end of the network, and 5 speakers.  I've rarely had issues and the only significant one was resolved with a firmware upgrade.  So, make of that what you will.  Personally, I'd have 20 Sonos hanging off my network if they weren't so darn expensive.

- The switch is PPC Evo9-1-U/U -- its a powered coaxial non-managed switch.  Never had any issues and the PoE adapter appears to be working properly.  But I cracked it yesterday (doing other maintenance) and now the wiring seems to be the problem, so I'm blaming the PoE/Switch until I can isolate something else. 

- I had IPv6 off until recently.  Don't think that's the issue, but I'll toggle it when testing.  Currently its active.

- I do have Daisy Chain active because I have a rather large distance to cover and a couple stone walls to cross to get there.  As with IPv6, its been operating that way for awhile with no issues and is active as we speak.

- I do not have, never have had, Mimo or Fast Roaming.

- I was not aware of the 20/40mhz flag but intend to play with it.  I noticed during this testing that when I force RBR50 to open channels (2.4ghz is on 1 at the moment), it makes a new complaint (part of firmware 210?):  'If there is a conflict, you will be defaulted to 20mhz and it will reduce throughput'.  Definitely don't want that, so interested in any wisdom you guys have on configuring that aspect.  

- Finally, I keep forcing 5ghz to 36 and it keeps moving itself back to 48 -- what's up with that?  36 is almost wide open while 48 has a bunch of squatters.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

I wanted to check with your switch for what it was. Sound like the POE adapter could be the culprit if you did something to it. 

Disable IPv6 if you don't have native IPv6 from your ISP.

If your satellites are not wire connected then Daisy chain can be enabled. 

Keep the 20/40Mhz enabled. 

Manual channel 36 should remain persistent if selected. 

@vardelda wrote:

To be clear:  My Orbi mesh is working as normal now.  I have reconnected everything except the ethernet.  I will test later by reconnecting the ethernet switch and see if its a direct failure or something less logical.

As for other points:

- I've learned lots of people - particularly Comcast technicians -- believe evil of Sonos.  I'll never claim to be a sonos expert, but I've got a Bridge wired to Orbi Router, an old Connect hanging off the far end of the network, and 5 speakers.  I've rarely had issues and the only significant one was resolved with a firmware upgrade.  So, make of that what you will.  Personally, I'd have 20 Sonos hanging off my network if they weren't so darn expensive.

- The switch is PPC Evo9-1-U/U -- its a powered coaxial non-managed switch.  Never had any issues and the PoE adapter appears to be working properly.  But I cracked it yesterday (doing other maintenance) and now the wiring seems to be the problem, so I'm blaming the PoE/Switch until I can isolate something else. 

- I had IPv6 off until recently.  Don't think that's the issue, but I'll toggle it when testing.  Currently its active.

- I do have Daisy Chain active because I have a rather large distance to cover and a couple stone walls to cross to get there.  As with IPv6, its been operating that way for awhile with no issues and is active as we speak.

- I do not have, never have had, Mimo or Fast Roaming.

- I was not aware of the 20/40mhz flag but intend to play with it.  I noticed during this testing that when I force RBR50 to open channels (2.4ghz is on 1 at the moment), it makes a new complaint (part of firmware 210?):  'If there is a conflict, you will be defaulted to 20mhz and it will reduce throughput'.  Definitely don't want that, so interested in any wisdom you guys have on configuring that aspect.  

- Finally, I keep forcing 5ghz to 36 and it keeps moving itself back to 48 -- what's up with that?  36 is almost wide open while 48 has a bunch of squatters.

Message 10 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@vardelda wrote:

..... I've learned lots of people - particularly Comcast technicians -- believe evil of Sonos.  I'll never claim to be a sonos expert, but I've got a Bridge wired to Orbi Router, an old Connect hanging off the far end of the network, and 5 speakers.  I've rarely had issues and the only significant one was resolved with a firmware upgrade.  So, make of that what you will.  Personally, I'd have 20 Sonos hanging off my network if they weren't so darn expensive.

@vardelda, I agree with you, Sonos -and mesh speakers in general- are great devices and smart idea that makes enjoying music simpler with richer user experience. I personally have 10 such speakers of different types, and planning to have more! 🙂

I started to have issues in my wifi when I had Apple Airport wifi network consisting of a number of Airport routers, but the issues were not frequent and I could live with resetting my wifi network once every couple of days or a week.

When I got the Orbi, I started having all types of issues almost continously, that's when I started troubleshooting and found after couple of weeks of troubleshooting that the issue are caused just by my wired speakers. I had issues with devices not getting IP addresses, random loss of internet connectivity for my devices, wireless devices showing as wired in the Orbi "attached devices", Satellites loosing connectivity and turning magenta,..... etc

All these issues, all of them, disappeared when I just disconnected my wired speakers.

I have now all my speakers connected wirelessly to Orbi and working just fine, so I'm now enjoying both the greatness of Orbi and the bueaty of my Mesh Audio system (without the mesh functionality). 😉

Good luck

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem and all should be working well now. 

@vardelda wrote:

It appears to be a faulty PoE adapter.  I'd already cycled modems/routers/satellites in sequence multiple times.  So this time, I disconnected everything (ethernet, Alexa, Sonos, IPCams, etc.) and started adding back in one at a time.  When I connected the router to my ethernet switch, I start having IP issues.  Its either the switch or the PoE adapter powering it, but the PoE adapter is cracked so starting there.  The RBS50/40 can connect to the RBR50 when ethernet is disconnected.

I notice you suggested disabling IPv6 -- any particular reason?  Should this be enabled under normal operation?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7