Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Additional Satellite

Stallion69
Tutor

RBS50 Additional Satellite

I curently have an ORBI mesh system set up in my home.  I have the RBR50 router with 2 RBS50 satellites.  Router is located in the basement and the two satellites are on the main floor.  I Hard wired the two stellites to the back of the Orbi Router (Back Haul).  I noticed that some people connect both satellites to an ethernet switch and the RBR50 connects to the ethernet switch as well.  I hope the way i connected it is good.  Anyhow, my question is I wanted to add a third satellite in my basement to the RBR50 router. Can the router handle 3 Ethernet connctions from 3 satellites?  Also, if Ichoose not to run an ethernet cable to the third satellite, will it still work, even though the other two satellites on the main floor are hard wired to the RBR50 router? I think if the third satellite is hard wired to the routher as well, speeds will be faster.  Anyhow, looking for feedback and advice before I purchase an additional RBS50 satellite.  I cancelled my RBW30 plug in satellite after reading some reviews and experiences people went through.  And the speed of the RBW30 will not be as fast of the RBS50.  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 11
Stallion69
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  So in other words, as soon as i turn on the third RBS50 satellite, it should sink with the ORBI RBR50 router, correct? Then three satellites will show up on my ORBI app, correct?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Theoretically yes the RBS should, however, technically, since NG design that requires the RBR and RBS to be on the same FW version for each other, if a new RBS is introduces, this one RBS may be using older versions of FW. Thus needs to be updated first to same version as whats currectly being used on your RBR/RBS. Then it should connect well. 

IF this is the case, try the following:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 11
Stallion69
Tutor

Okay.  Hopefully it works without all the stuff you mentioned.  Thanks for the advice.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I have a RBR50 with two RBS50's, one wired, one wireless.  I also have a wired RBS20 on the same mesh network.  All are working fine.  You shouldn't have any problem adding a third RBS50 into your system whether it is wired or wireless.  Just check the backhaul status if you are going wireless, just in case you need to move it closer because of obstructions.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 11
Stallion69
Tutor

I will hardwire it.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 9 of 11
Stallion69
Tutor

Yes i will.  Thanks for all your help and advice.

Message 10 of 11
herebedragons69
Aspirant

How did it go? I want to extend my RBR50 + RBS50 with one more RBS50 satellite as well. Do I understand correctly that you can connect a LAN cable from an RBR50 to any of the ethernet ports in the RBS50 Satellite and it will connect said satellite to the network? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7