Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Behaving Weirdly with Wired Backhaul

gb2bg
Aspirant

RBS50 Behaving Weirdly with Wired Backhaul

My satellite's been acting up. At first I was not able to connect to the satellite upstairs in the office (wired Backhaul) thought it was something with the firmware so updated that to 2.7, and everything shows fine. The router status page shows everything as connected but the app now doesn't show the satellite as online at all. Both iOS and android apps.
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Behaving Weirdly with Wired Backhaul

With v70 loaded on my RBK50 system, I am seeing a ARP storm when the RBS is connected with two or more LAN switches in between teh RBR and RBS. I see a short ARP storm with just 1 switch in between then stops. My network has 3 switches in between the RBR and RBS. I've reported this alredy to NG support. This wasn't a problem with v16 loaded or prior versions of FW back to v2.3.0.32 when I first recieved a RBR50. So my one RBS is now wirelessly connected to the RBR in AP Mode. RBS is in the basement and the RBR is on 2nd level. 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 26

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@gb2bg wrote:
My satellite's been acting up. At first I was not able to connect to the satellite upstairs in the office (wired Backhaul) thought it was something with the firmware so updated that to 2.7, and everything shows fine. The router status page shows everything as connected but the app now doesn't show the satellite as online at all. Both iOS and android apps.

I contacted support about this and they said it is a known bug. Try reooting the orbi system and see if it helps. I had it real bad on both app and WEB GUI. After a couple of reboots and reconfiguring a few devices, it all looks good now.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

Has a power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON to see if this changes anything?

Has a factory reset been performed then setup from scratch? 

@gb2bg wrote:

Message 3 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Wired backhaul is done through MoCA. It was working fine until this week. I will give the reboot a shot and if it doesn't work, go to reset next and then whatever's next. 

Web GUI shows wired backhaul to the satellite (attached) but all devices are shown to be connected to the RBR and the app doesn't connect. 

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is a Orbi app thats not connecting, maybe a Orbi app issue and not actual orbi hardware. 

Something to post about if you feel this is a Orbi app issue in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Message 5 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

That's the thing, I think am able to connect to the orbi app (both OS) when I am connected to the RBR (that is when I am downstairs) whereas when I am on the 2nd floor (where the sat is) I am unable to connect though the app.

All my wired and wireless devices are showing as connected to the RBR and any wireless device on the 2nd floor shows weak signals (when I am connected to the app courtesy of being on the 1st floor). 

The picture here shows no connection between the router and the satellite? is this only for wireless? or does it show for wired too? 

Message 6 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Is there any way to diagnose the wifi functionality of the satellite? 

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats only when the RBS is wired. I wish they would better reflect the wired connection. So grayed out signal there means it's wired. 

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you can bring the RBS closer or near the RBR and ethernet connect the RBS while ethernet. I would turn down the power output of the RBS to 25%. Then as far as you can, place the RBS away from the RBR while ethernet connected. Then connect up a PAD or phone and run a speed test thru it. Check the RBS web page to see the connected devices at the RBS web page as well. If you have a LAN switch that you can put in between the RBR and RBS, then while the speed test is running, you can see the activity LEDs blink during the speed test. 

Message 9 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

I tried a little experiment of my own. Turned off the satellite which forced devices with said orbi app to connect to the rbr. Which of course perfectly worked. The apps were able to connect to the network. Once I turned the satellite back on, poof. 

Now with satellite on, the apps don't even show a satellite on the network map, whereas web GUI does and with full wired backhaul status. 

I will try your steps next in addition to probably disconnecting the wired backhaul and testing with wireless backhaul.

wish me luck! Haha

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Haven't had a chance to test that, but I can say with 90% confidence that the wireless radios on the satellite are shot. Is that possible? 

Message 12 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Another update: I think I need to add some clarification on my network setup.

AT&T ONT --> Edgerouter X --> LAN (1.RBR50 (AP mode), 2.PiHole, 3. GoCoax MoCa) 

3. GoCoax MoCA bridge --> RBS50

I changed my wired config as per this diagram; earlier the ErX was connected to the WAN port of the RBR50 (It worked since July)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/answer_media/Orbi-3.png

Per the link above, now I moved the cable from the WAN port to an empty LAN port. Everything else kept the same. 

Now, after couple of false starts and reboots, the RBS50 seems to regain it's wifi functionality that devices connected to the satellite's wifi get internet and I can now see the Satellite in the Orbi app (when connected to RBR50).

The only hiccup seems to be that I still cannot connect to the Orbi app when device is on Satellite wifi (not a deal breaker) but I suppose sooner or later this compromise is going to break down. That and the RBR50 is in a perpetual state of magenta while the internet seems to be chugging along.

This leaves me to question whether there is some network interference due to the ErX-RBR50 and ErX-RBS50 connections. 

Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. You need to use the WAN port on the RBR for your connection to the host router. AP or Router mode. 

Something at the Pi or moca maybe causing abnormal RBS operation. If you 

AT&T ONT --> Edgerouter X --> LAN (1.RBR50 (AP mode),--> 3. GoCoax MoCa) 

3. GoCoax MoCA bridge --> RBS50

Or 

AT&T ONT --> Edgerouter X --> LAN (1.RBR50 (AP mode), --> RBS50

Do any of these work? 

I found a problem with Orbi RBK50 with V70 FW and ethernet connected RBS when the RBS is connected behind two or more daisy chained switches, it causes a ARP storm to happen on the entire home network. Once disconnected the storm stops. Been reported to NG. 

Message 14 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

This is from 2017 and it describes my problem https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-causing-broadcast-storm/td-p/1457967

Specifically this from

Tutor
Re: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul causing broadcast storm

I just wasted another 2 hours on with Tech Support.  After reflashing the firmware my Orbi Router will no longer show either devices or satellites connected (both are 0).  This is a problem if you need to reserve DHCP leases for specific MACs (yes, I can enter it in by hand, but that's not why I paid $500).  The satellites show they're connected, but none of my wireless devices want to connect to them, only the router...which shows no connections.

Message 15 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

I had a working setup prior to the current one with RBR50 --MocaBridge-- RBS50. I reconfigured it to move some of the networking components out of sight into a networking closet. The edgerouterX has a switch defined on 3 of its ports which is like the image I posted above, but looking at the other posts, that seems to cause a **bleep**storm on the network.

When I connect to the non-WAN port of RBR50, it stays magenta, but network's working, okay-ish. The satellite shows up on the app (when connected to RBR50 wifi) and router GUI proper. Apart from some weirdness while connecting to wifi (slow or sometimes dead wifi) it seems to hold.

But when I connect to the WAN port, RBR50 goes back to regular no LED, satellite disappears from the app, and web GUI shows RBS50 as wired backhaul, good, working as a switch but not as a WiFi access point.

At this time, my options seem to be to

1. move back the Moca bridge between the two Orbis

or

2. leave the satellite on wireless backhaul.

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

With v70 loaded on my RBK50 system, I am seeing a ARP storm when the RBS is connected with two or more LAN switches in between teh RBR and RBS. I see a short ARP storm with just 1 switch in between then stops. My network has 3 switches in between the RBR and RBS. I've reported this alredy to NG support. This wasn't a problem with v16 loaded or prior versions of FW back to v2.3.0.32 when I first recieved a RBR50. So my one RBS is now wirelessly connected to the RBR in AP Mode. RBS is in the basement and the RBR is on 2nd level. 

Message 17 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

If I am reading my network right (LOL), I have only one switch between the RBR and RBS, which is the switch part of ErX. MoCA is pretty much transparent here.

I might have to do what you did, take my RBS50 wireless, which is fine because it only serves wireless devices on the 2nd floor (lighter load). I tried to replace my netgear switch with the RBS50 hoping to minimize the devices but looks like I have no choice now.

Given this, I might start looking into other ubiquity stuff for wireless AP as the Orbi is almost obselete for my use case.

@FURRYe38I greatly appreciate your help here. One last question, how do you detect an ARP storm? My router logs show nothing.

Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

The router switch isn't counted. External switches is where they are counted. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Been using this for years now. 

https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeteros

Since MS stopped showing network activity on there network icon after XP, this has come in handy. 

Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

This is web brower based. Do a search on the web for the installer app version. 

Message 21 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Weird, I found Bitmeter2 (the installer version) but it wouldn't install on Win10 because of the .net framework versioning (it's asking for 4.7.2) and when I download 4.7.2, Windows says higher verison already installed. 

Ugh..

Message 22 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I remember seeing that on Server 2016. I don't remember seeing that on Windows 10. Thought I can't remeber if I ran in to that problems or not. Been too long. 

Yan can try dumeter as see:

https://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

Been a while since I've used this. 

Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe Windows 8-10 introduced built in monitoring tools:

Windows10TaskManager.png

And Resource Manager has been around since NT/XP I think:

Windows10ResourceManager.png

Message 24 of 26
gb2bg
Aspirant

Thanks for that! I was looking at Network Monitoring Tool 3.x too. Any tips on what specifically to monitor?

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7