Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Connection Type 2.4Ghz

desktopdoug
Aspirant

RBS50 Connection Type 2.4Ghz

Hi,

Looking for some guidance. Had an RBR50 Router and RBS50 Satellite for approximately a year working without any issue, other than needing an occasional reboot, however, in the past month or so I'm getting really poor performance on devices connected via the Satellite.

Devices connected to the Satellite will loose internet connectivity momentarily, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes longer. Device to Satellite works OK, and device to device connected to Satellite works I think, but anything back over the backhaul to the router stops.

While starting to look into this, I've now noticed that the Satellite is reporting a connection type as 2.4Ghz, rather than 5Ghz, which also matches up with the slower internet speeds I'm getting on those devices.

I have not moved anything within the property, nor introduced any new structures, objects or anything that I can guess could be impacting signal, however I appreciate other external factors can have an impact. 

I think the connectivity pauses / lose is when the satellite is switching from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz. Its happened just now, lost internet on my device and noticed in the Admin web page is was now on 2.4 when it previously reported 5Ghz.

- Is there any way to force the device only to use 5Ghz for backhaul?

- Is there another way to see connection health, as it just always says 'Good'.

- Is there another channel it can be set to try for 5Ghz backhaul to see if there is a conflict at play?

- Any other suggestions?

Firmware is v2.7.3.22. I'm in the process of upgrading this to 2.7.4.24 but there aren't any fixes listed which suggest my issue will be addressed.

Thanks

Doug

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Connection Type 2.4Ghz

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You can turn down the power output on the RBR for each radio. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@desktopdoug wrote:

- Is there any way to force the device only to use 5Ghz for backhaul?

No. The user has only one option: install an Ethernet cable connecting the satellite to the router. For most of us, this is simply impractical because of the physical layout of the building.

@desktopdoug wrote:

- Is there another way to see connection health, as it just always says 'Good'.

Yes, but it is not trivial. The steps are:

• Enable telnet on the router by downloading and running this Python script:
    https://github.com/bkerler/netgear_telnet
  • Use a telnet program such as PuTTY or the telnet program buried in the Windows "Turn Windows Features On or Off" to connect to the router using its IP address (usually 192.168.1.1)
  • Log into the router using the web credentials ("admin" plus your router password)
    Type the command satelliteinfo wifi
    This will output information about the link between each satellite and the router. Here is what mine showed recently:
root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
[
  {
    "mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "A0:04:xx:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-68",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
  },
  {
    "mac address" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-59",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "866",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "650",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
  }
Message 3 of 12
desktopdoug
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I will do as you suggested to pull out the statistics of the backhaul connection. 

Is there any further data however on seeing why the satellite has switched from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, assuming that's what is meant when I look on the router 'connected devices' page and see 2.4 listed as the connection type.

Assuming its switched because 5ghz was poor and 2.4ghz was better but I was looking to understand which channels its tried, and, how it operates in terms of trying to switch back to 5ghz. Mine does seem to be going back and forth between the two.

As you mentioned, an ethernet cable between the two isn't suitable sadly. My Router is downstairs, and the satellite upstairs, I don't have a huge house however, its a modern build so no think stone walls etc. This has worked fine for months and only recently had any issues but trying to understand the cause is proving troublesome.

Thanks

Doug

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, changing to 2.4G backhaul is a response to the 5G signal not being adequate.  I often swear "nothing has changed" and later discover that something did change.  I was tearing my hair because an alarm sensor refused to respond (after being in the same location for over two years).  Changed the battery. Deleted/reinstalled.  FINALLY realized that I had moved the base station 3ft to move a piece of furniture to get into the wall behind it. (plumbing problem... UGH) and had neglected to move it back.  THREE FEET!!!  Sensor immediately back on line.

Could the router or satellite be in a different orientation than it was? (turned?)

Sometimes a difference of only a few feet can make a difference.  Since they are not connected with a cable, it is easy to move satellites around to test for a better location.

Message 5 of 12
desktopdoug
Aspirant

Did you have any issues with the python script download being flagged as having a Trojan Virus in? It’s blocked by defender on my machine
Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe Windows Defender automatically deletes the Trojan and then annoys the user about it.

I actually use the Python script rather than the exe file.

Message 7 of 12
desktopdoug
Aspirant

Hi,

I've noticed something just now which doesn't seem correct, can anyone else confirm if this is normal?

I've taken 3 screenshots to example my findings. Link to shared OneDrive link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuOVa6-YCOPSn-g8MwXmqYTEezdNdQ?e=f97opg

- Powered off Satellite temporally. Connected a device via Wi-Fi and did a Wifi Scan. You can see in the results for this a single channel in the higher range labeled as hidden - channel 124.

File name: satellite off.png

- Restarted Satellite, after sync this connected via 5Ghz Backhaul and worked at this connection type for around 45 mins. You can see in the Wifi Scan results two devices broadcasting on the same channel now, 124.

File Name: backhaul on 5ghz.png

- Connection dropped, checked web portal to confirm satellite now connecting at 2.4Ghz instead. Wifi Scan results now show two different hidden channels in use at the higher range: 108 and 124. 

File Name: backhaul on 2.4ghz.png

Question, would would the satellite (and I'm assuming its the satellite due to the signal strength being stronger, and I'm sat next to Satellite) have changed the channel from 124 to 108? Surely it should match whatever the Router is using?!

Thanks

Doug

@harryballzanya 

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

This system is in which geographical region?

According to the RBR50 user manual, the frequencies used for backhaul (page 136) are:

CrimpOn_0-1656886166565.png

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Those frequencies correspond to:

5.16 - 5.25 is channels 36-48  (Orbi user facing 5G channels in US)

5.745-5-825 is channels 149-165  (Orbi 5G backhaul channels in US)

5.18 - 5.24 is channels 36-48 (Orbi user facing 5G in Europe & Japan)

5.5 - 5.7 is channels 100-140 (Orbi backhaul 5G in Europe & Japan)

5.26-5.32 is channels channels 52-64 (future frequencies in Europe & Japan)

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

Channels 124 and 108 are among those affected by radar (weather & military)

Message 9 of 12
desktopdoug
Aspirant

Hey. 

I'm based in the UK, so Europe is the region set within the configuration.

According to that document you provided the link for, for the EU, the 5GHZ backhaul channel should be 108.

Mine is starting out both being on 124, and then the satellite switches to using 108 while the router remains on 124.

This shouldn't be happening should it?

Thanks

Doug

Message 10 of 12

@desktopdoug came here per your post on my thread. I can't see the screen shots...I think they still need to be approved by a moderator. Are you able to upload them as attachments?

I'll reply to your questions in my thread (which is here for those coming to this forum with similar issues: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS50-only-connecting-at-2-4ghz-backhaul/td-p/2237083).

Message 11 of 12

Any updates?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7