Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Until now , more than 30 hous of work dedicated to this (........ adjetive will be filled when I finish) amazing and unpredictable piece of hardware . 

After a lot of work a finally conect the satellite but , (It seems with Netgear you always have a but) no devices attached to it and also it figures in the administration app shows the satellite with the old firmware . 

So I decided to start the process again with the satellite , but now is not possible to address 192.168.1.250 (???) - (I performed a factory reset again) . 

Anyway , I decided to continue working with the main router and trying to work finally (Im going to dedicate and perform last efforts all weekend) . 

Im in a moment of my life of not to losing time in small things (so searching for easy , no too much expensive pieces of hardware and working fine as Orbi used to be in the past)

If someone has some ideas about Drop connections issues are very welcome .   

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks a lot to @FURRYe38 for supporting , helping and giving his expetrise for trying to solve the problem 

You are a Genious independently of the results . 

Hoping solve the issue in the next days to continue belong  to this community . 

My compromise is to post all the testings done (like until today) and the final decision also . (it seems , that according other posts , Netgear's engineers and  technical support are not too much worried about it)  

Message 27 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

I'm persistent , so continue with all the tests performed (if you don't want to read the boring results , the conclusion is that we are in the same status) - Not Working 

So this a complete list of testings done : (to be continue all weekend) - Again , if someone has something (doesn't matter the crazy idea you have) please post .  

Testing Activities
Orbi Running in router Mode and ISP Modem with all WiFi and radios are off (from the very begining)
Firmware status today is = V2.7.2.104 starting from V2.3.5.30 and going to intermediate state 2.5.1.16
Not Working = means Drops Connections and very unstable Internet Service

1 - ISP Modem is On bridge Mode (Orbi Satellite - Not working)
2 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 1 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Poor)
3 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 6 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Green in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
4 - Channel 2.4 GHz set to 11 (Orbi Satellite - Not working - Reported Red in Orbi App and backhaul Good)
5 - Channel 2.4 GHz remains in 11 - Channel 5 Ghz set to 48 (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
6 - Keeping the same setting in Point 5 - Set Preamble Mode to Short-preamble (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
7 - Were not enabled in my system but checked that Armor , Circle , Fast Roaming are disabled
8 - Enable Coexistence to 40 Mhz Only set to disable (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
9 - Enable beanforming and Mu-Mimo (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
10 - Disable Daisy Chain Topology - reboot (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
11 - IPV6 was always disabled
12 - Same as 6 - Set preamble mode to Short-preamble , but for the 5 ghz (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
13 - Set 2.4 ghz Transmit Power to 50 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
14 - Set 5 ghz Transmit Power to 75 % (Orbi Satellite - Not Working)
15 - Steps 13 & 14 return to normal settings 100 %

Now the Orbit Router start failing with same issue as the satellite
16 - Reinstall from scratch Firmware 2.5.1.16 (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
17 - Reinstall from scratch Firmware 2.7.2.104 (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
18 - Change ISP DNS Servers to Google DNS in Orbi (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
19 - Change Google DNS Servers to Cloudfare DNS in Orbi (Orbi router and Satellite are failing)
20 - Trying to Sync Satellite with right procedure more than 20 times . Something happens that suddenly , with no changes in the satellite , it was connected to Router with Blue Light and after 5 minutes of connection turn to Magenta . It seems that Drop connections issue is also afecting the satellite connection to the router (see point 21)
21 - Orbi App in PC shows in the Main Screen 0 Satellites connected , but in the attached devices screen is showed up as Satellite conection status Good (??) and after some minutes is disconnected .
22 - Disable option enable SSID broadcast for 2.4 (Orbi router Drops connections)
23 - Disable option enable SSID Brodcast for 5 (Orbi router Drops connections)

Now all the efforts wil be center in the Router - It's enough for the satellite .

24 - According the thread -
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1913938#M92325

On my cable modem:
I put off all the wifi signal sending. (OK)
I put a static ipadres in it for the orbi modem. (OK)
I put the dmz mode with the ip adress of the orbi. (Not Done)
I connected the Orbi direct to the cable modem. (OK)
I put the Modem on Bridge mode (OK)

On the Orbi:
I put the orbi in AP mode.(Not Done)
Turned on 20/40 mhz (already done from previous tests)
Turned on WMM(2.4 and 5Ghz) (OK)
Preample automatic on both with 100% signal strength (already done from previous tests)
Turned off Backhaul (OK)
Turned on beamforming (OK)
Turned on MU-MIMO (OK)
Turned off Fast Roaming (OK)
2.4 Ghz channel: automatic (already done from previous tests)
5 Ghz channel is on 40(I did some tests on every channel and for me this was the fastest) (already done from previous tests)
Guest network is off (already done from previous tests)
No dynamic DNS (already done from previous tests)

@DsxUndertakerThis Parameters doesn't work for me . It means WiFi disconnection still happens from the router itself (satellite are not still connected) .

25 - ISP Lease time that was introduced few months ago in Orbi.(??) I dont how because I didnt perform any firmware upgrade since 2019 , but anyway lets go
Reducing the ISP Lease time should solve this issue.
Reducing the ISP Lease time can be done using the following telnet commands:
>> config get wan_lease
>> config set wan_lease=1200
>> config commit
@meisert, @ekhalil , Thanks a lot for your contributions but didn't work for me so they was returned to the original ones set_wan_lease=86400 - Remember I'm in the last firmware available .

Drop Connections still happen almost 2 per minute - See the enclosed video taken from the Orbi App in the Smartphone . (video was cutted because is a 40 seconds long  which is the WiFi availability until it drops 

If a miracle doesn't happen , seems I will follow the same way as @BigRune

Patience and persistence are some of my attributes but at this point in my life and specially in this special moment , are something decreasing  day by day .

To be continue 

Message 28 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have a faulty RBS that needs to be replaced. 

Message 29 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry is not a faulty RBS (is tuning off right now) , so I'm working right now with only the router, and having constantly Drops . 

Sincerely I didnt see any hope for this hardware . But still working all weekend trying to solve  . 

Just a question from my side in order to have your opinion .

Whiy there is not a way to contact customer or technical support from netgear? , why they don't pay atention to this users claims ? . Have they can acces to this community? 

I don't have a single email in ordeer to send all this background to them . The contact thta you kindly provided me @idnt answer until now .

Your feedback will  be very appreciated considering is not only the RBS also the RBR .

Just an aditional comment - I've installed yesterday for testing purposes and old router (with limited scope) and all  the devices that can be connected (because a cover scope limitation) running perfectly well . 

Thanks again 

Message 30 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Last status for Saturday night - Conclusion : Still not working dropping Wifi Connections (2 x minute) only working with the Router RBR50 , satellite is turn off . 

Remenber that I've connected an old router (yesterday) to the same ISP in my house with no issues (exception is coverage and processing power , reason for the Orbi System) 

26 - All the rules in the Orbi regarding port Forwarding were deleted (Orbi router Drops connections)
27 - Block all 2.4 devices (from access control screen via PC wired) (Orbi router Drops connections)
28 - Block all 5 ghz devices & 2.4 also (from access control screen via PC wired) just the wired connection to PC remains (Orbi router Drops connections) 
29 - Reload again Firmware on Router V2.7.2.104 (not from  scratch) and dedicated Static IP Address for router (Orbi router Drops connections)
30 - Installed yesterday for testing purposes and old router (with limited scope) and all the devices that can be connected (because a cover scope limitation) running perfectly well.
31 - Disconnect the last 2 devices connected to Orbi wifi network since 30 days ago (Orbi router Drops connections)

Tomorrow will be another day - Let's see 

Message 31 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try going back to v16 on the RBR and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

If anything, the RBR maybe bad then, 

Message 32 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Good Morning gor everyone hopes everybody is going to have a nice week (me too) 

Status .

32 - Downgrade the Orbi Satellite to version 2.5.1.16
33 - Downgrade the Orbii Router to version 2.5.1.16

@FURRYe38 

Soorty to distuurb you but just a simple question , after de upgrade (because I did it offline with no internet connection) which is the best way to conotinue 

1 - Satellite and router are not synced

2 - Satellite has the address 192.168.1.250 and the Router 192.168.1.1

3 - Because my ISP has a 192.168.1.1 the previous upgrades change the Orbi Router to 10 .0.0.1

Wich is the best way to perform all the previous activities to perform the final conections and syn (I need the Orbi Router with 10.0.0.1 running) Let me know , please your thoughts about it to conitnue al the testing procedure 

Thanks in advance    

Message 33 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your ISP allow you to change the Modems IP address by chance? If they do you could change the ISP modems IP from 192.168.1.1 to say 192.168.2.1 or .0.1, then you can leave the RBR and RBS at 192.168.1.1.

If not, then setup the RBR by allowing it to change to 10.0.0.1 and use that to set up the RBR first. Once you have the RBR setup, I would then press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR and let the RBS sync to the RBR. Do this with the RBS in the same room as the RBR. 

Message 34 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Thanks a lot for supporting - Done !!

Satellite not synced yet - testing with router mode only - 

5 minutes running with almost all the devices (exception devices that are too far and suppose need to be connected to the satellite) and the dropping connections started again . (1/2 per minute)   

Let's see how to continue but I believe I've  invested a lot of time (and money) trying to solve this issue . 

@netgear didn't pay attention to this issue , @netgear_help (on twitter) also - Nobody answer PM's , so it is time for definitions on my side .

Because of the Pandemy status , family is going to kill me before the Virus , so If nobody have any other ideas (very very welcome)  , hardware will be replaced . 

Im going to post the next steps .  

Message 35 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact NG support with a tickect if you can and see what your options are. 

I'd send a forum moderator a PM as well.

@Blanca_O 

Message 36 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for your efforts . 

As I said you are a Genious and all the community needs to recognized you as a person always ready to help and support . 

So I'm going to wait some comments from this side (NG) but I need an urgent (Sofware) solution because (Other like hardware is impossible because of location) .

NetGear has no support in my country , so lets see if I have the lucky boy or not and someone contact me .

Fingers crossed  

Message 37 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Hoping that some charitable soul of Netgear has mercy and can observe the content of this post , I attach to feed your intellect , the last tests carried out which seem to me to be irrefutable prove regarding the issue presented.

New tests
34 - Wifi Name in router (satellite still not synced) was changed - Wait some minutes in order to complete all the transfer from one wifi network (orbi) to the new one (old router)
35 - All possible hardware , connected to the old router , PC wired is connected to Orbi

I know is not the ideal scenario to have two WiFi networks on the same site - just to see what happen

36 - Start connecting some of the devices from WIFI old router to Orbi Wifi Router (the easiest ones , fi. Notebook , Tablets , Smartphones) (Not Working - Dropping Wifi Conections every 30/40 seconds)
37 - Testing with only one device conneced (smartphone) (Not Working - Dropping Wifi Conections every 30/40 seconds)
38 - The last test performed where you have only one device connected (just the wired PC) to the Orbi Router.

The Wireless network goes down (after 2 minutes) without any device connected. Of course the Internet connection via the Orbi through the wired device works perfect . 

Something happen in the Forum that I cannot post pictures , but anyway believe me is the real scenario I am facing . 

Message 38 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Same Status - 

39 - Reset router again and configure from scracth fron the Orbii APP via Smartphone (Not Working - Dropping Wifi Conections every 30/40 seconds)

The solution must come from Netgear - I wonder if someone is from the Company Netgear is paying attention , not only to this incident , but also to all the similar ones podeted in this forum?

Message 39 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support directly and also contact a forum moderator at well. NG doesn't really keep tabs on this forums.

Best is to contact them and make contact. 

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 40 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Sincerely I don't even have an idea how to conect someone of NG Support - 

Email is not available , Twitter is not available (I've posted a tweet in @netgear_help no news until now) , PM to @Blanca_O  with no answer until now so my question is if you have another way to contact NG Support please send me a PM , because I didn't find the way  , 

According information in My Netgear for my product buyed in 2017-06

1 - Ask the Community 

2 - Search in Knowledge Base

3 - It seems if I accept to Pay for supporting is not an Option for me .(???) 

So , in conclusion , if you have any contact , please send me PM  -

Thanks for helping and your efforts , as always . 

Message 41 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Surprise today ! Received communication from NG technical Support . Send all the information to the team . 

Again , thanks a lot for helping and supporting and all your efforts , Let's see which will be the future because I need an urgent solution inmediately - Is an emergency for me . 

Thinking to buy an inexpensive router (good evaluations) to see if it caln help in the emergency and in the meantime define the next hardware to be bought .

I'll keep you informed about the next steps and whole story . 

Message 42 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope something works out for you. 

Message 43 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

40 - New test - Reinstalling and Upgrading to new Firmware 2.7.2.104 

41 - Factory reset router and no perform satellite connection - Just the router alone 

42 - Customize the Router from Zero from Orbi APP under Android - Just WiFi name and password only 

43 - Just connect one WQired PC and Smartphoen for checking purposes 

Results : WiFi from RBR50 still dropping down every 40/50 secs - Problem still continue - (RBS50 continue turn off until router problem can be solved)

Let's see how to continue   

Message 44 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Still seems like the RBR needs to be RMAd. 

@AFD wrote:

41 - Factory reset router and no perform satellite connection - Just the router alone 

42 - Customize the Router from Zero from Orbi APP under Android - Just WiFi name and password only 

43 - Just connect one WQired PC and Smartphoen for checking purposes 

Results : WiFi from RBR50 still dropping down every 40/50 secs - Problem still continue - (RBS50 continue turn off until router problem can be solved)

Let's see how to continue   

Message 45 of 73
vajim
Master

@AFD wrote:

There's your problem

Message 46 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@AFD wrote:

@FURRYe38 

There's your problem 

-----------------> 

I don't know action was recommended NG Technical Support . I know it was done in the previous post . Only difference was a factory reset more than 30 second pushing reset button . 

It's a shame but it doesn't work . 

If a miracle does not happen, I think the hardware is unusable and broken, maybe the satellite will still work, since the problem manifested itself on the satellite, but actually from my point of view, the problem would be in the router.
This is a week of definitions because I can not in any way continue in this way and the current router (old and without reach) does not reach to cover the basic needs of the home.

I'm going to start the analysis on reliable technical alternatives , with good references and to technical support in the market, while I wait for NG to give his ultimatum to the hardware.

I still do not understand how something like the router, I have had several for years, it can be damaged in this way - (the only explanation I can find is that some component on communications board has been damaged) - The other element in the analysis that can't understand yet , is why many users different models and with different firmwares , have or manifest , the same symptoms and problems even with different purchase times of the mesh systems.

To be continue - again thanks as always for supporting

Message 47 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

After the last tests requested by NG Support, to who I want thanks them for attending me , but unfortunately nothing has been solved as it was expected (because almost all the tests was previoulsy done according mentioned above in this post) .

Let's see if someone of the Engineer team contact me in the future to give some feedback , but we are done , because case was already closed .

I can't believe there is no technical background on the problem presented consider there are hundreds of user claims (me is not the only one) for the same issues and additionally with different models at this point in time .

As I said before, the Hardware, while it worked, was perfect , in coverage and speed, I have only tried one from another brand, but the price I paid at the time for this Hardware was really worth , but equipment exceeded expectations.

Now with the experience lived and by what has been read in the comments of many users (I believe I am one of the privileged few to have been contacted by NG, where at least they offered an escalation to the engineers, without a solution, but at least there was contact). , I have my doubts of having made the right decision at that time.

Anyway , As I said , I've started the research for a new similar hardware and of course with good and proved global technical support. (WIFI6 is not an essential condition since very new implementation and some problems arise in many firmwares and different hardwares).

New equipment tests will be posted - New Equipment decision also be posted (only way will be the users rating in many sites , I don't have any other tool to perform the evaluation . 

Thanks for everybody who collaborates in the testing period .

Message 48 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Last test from my side . I believe is enough for RBK50 . 

41 - After installation 2.7.2.104 from scratch  (sincerely I do not  why I need to perform all the installation from the APP according the orbilogin.com , armor faclity was activated  , then I need to enter again via app to disabled it (it cost me about 20 minutes in order to use the timelapse where the Orbi wifi is available- origin of this problem -  in order to disable it ) Anyway Wifi is not working as expected

Some comments about things to do in the Orbi (collected from Internets sites and entering in Scy-Fi arena)

42 - Disabled day light saving (not working)
43 - Split bands and SSID's with Telnet doesn't work in this firmware (not work) , so I've decided to downgrade  accordoing step 45 .
44 - Reduce DHCP range to 64 devices (10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.64) (Still Dropping WiFi)
45 - Downgrade and reinstall from Scratch Firmware 2.2.1.212 (Still Dropping WiFi)
46 - Telnet to Split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands (Still Not working)
47 - Rejoin both bands to a unique SSID (stil not working) 
48 - Upgrade from Version 2.2.1.212 to 2.7.2.104 (5 upgrades and factory reset without any customization testings with negative results)

49 - Enough for me , 

R&I - research and Investigation about new hardware for replacing Orbi System  

Message 49 of 73
vajim
Master

Wow

sorry about all of this

i vote for number 49

Message 50 of 73
Top Contributors