Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Re: RBS50 Connectivity problems and Issues

A good, cheap router has been purchased for the moment (waiting for delivery) , to see if it works at least the most necessary devices at home.

In the meantime I am analyzing alternatives and seeing reviews in irder to define the next system .

A couple of tests that I had not done that I mention only as additional information (they are not very professional, please excuse me)

50 - RBK50 router without internet connection (wifi connection drops every 40/50 seconds)
51 - The power adapters from the satellite to the router were exchanged (the Wi-Fi connection drops every 40/50 seconds)
52 - The router was taken to another location and home to test (the wifi connection drops every 40/50 seconds)

To be continue

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

New cheap router doesn't arrive yet , so in the meantime more tests were done .

With the help of an incredible and very knowledge person , I've installed Voxel's last firmware available for the RBR50 router(only) in order to verify if it can help to solve the problem , but it remains , seems to be more stable but WiFi drops from time to time .(router only mode , no satellite is turn on)  

Seems there are no more chances to recover RBK50 hardware and it is unsable .

No decision taken about the next generation mesh (or solely router) to be installed at home . It will be posted as soon as I have news in order to help others 

Thanks a lot for all contributions @FURRYe38 @vajim 

Message 52 of 73
vajim
Master

@AFD wrote:

Seems there are no more chances to recover RBK50 hardware and it is unsable .

Thanks a lot for all contributions @FURRYe38 @vajim 

you could simply perform a factory reset on ALL

Message 53 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Updates

Unexpensive Dual Band Router arrives and 75 % percent of the House are up & running . Almost amazing performance for a low price router.Firmware upgrade done in less than a minute and ok . 

More than 20 devices connected (including IoT , smart TV's and Mobiles Phones and Tablet)

From the Orbi point of view I Believe I'm fighting with a damage Hardware (Or Software????) 

Last Test done , but in the meantime I'm preparing the wishlist candidates for a New Mesh System

Test steps follows (no satellites involved in the test) 

I moved the Router to another House

53 - Orbi Router running alone with Voxel Firmware

54 - Turn Off WiFi in the third party house

55 - Connect a wired notebook to the Orbi Router

56- Turn on Orbi router (wait until Magenta ring showed up)

57 - Connect the Internet plug RJ45 to the WAN in the Orbi Router (magenta ring disappears)

58 - Turn on Wifi in two Smartphones and connect to the Orbi Wifi

59 - Internet available in the wired notebook and in the smartphones

After 5 minutes Orbi Wifi connection shutdown the two smartphones (at the same time) lose the connection and the Notebook continue working on internet without any problem

60 - Disconnect everything from the Orbi (notebook , Internet) and turn off the Orbi Router

61 - Power adapter switched to the Satellite ones

62 - Turn on the Orbi Router and wait for 5 minutes until Magenta ring showed up

63 - Perform the connection of the two smartphones to the Orbi Wifi without problem but without Internet connection just to avoid connection to the ISP and isolate the Wifi . Notebook also was connected via Wireless

64 - After 2/3 minutes the WiFi goes down and drops the connection

This is the reason why I said that if I was a Netgear engineer, I would require the equipment to perform some tests and proofs of concept to find out clarify the fault.

For sure it won't happen for many reasons  (out of warranty , Location , wish to know the origin of the fault, etc.)

Any other ideas (from your side) are very welcome (also some considerations for the new Mesh System) -

I've found on Internet a lot of cases with Netgear equipment with same symptons  to my RBK50  , and the most strange is that other NG models are involved , this is my hope that the problem could be solved via Software and not from the Hardware point of view . 

Anyway , I'm out of time and need to fix the issue asap (for the moment the new router is helping a lot but is not enough) .

In case of news I'm going to post . 

Message 54 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Still seems like the RBR needs to be RMAd. 

@AFD wrote:

40 - New test - Reinstalling and Upgrading to new Firmware 2.7.2.104 

41 - Factory reset router and no perform satellite connection - Just the router alone 

42 - Customize the Router from Zero from Orbi APP under Android - Just WiFi name and password only 

43 - Just connect one WQired PC and Smartphoen for checking purposes 

Results : WiFi from RBR50 still dropping down every 40/50 secs - Problem still continue - (RBS50 continue turn off until router problem can be solved)

Let's see how to continue   

Message 55 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Still seems like the RBR needs to be RMAd.

I do not believe RMAd could be possible , since I am totally out of warranty and additionally in another country, so considering that and besides  NG Technical Support also charges after 90 days after the purchase , it would really be a miracle that something about it could be done.

As mentioned I have a liittle bit more time and perhaps some others tests could be done and let's see. In the meantime preparing definitions of possible HW for WiFi Services at home .  

Thanks a lot for collaboration , support and help . 

Message 56 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 57 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

This has become a hobby - (no longer a problem, but it is a matter of self-love , pride , never surrender , to know what it's happening) 

Did you think that the history of the RBK50 was over from my side?

The network, it is decided, will be changed by another Mesh system, meanwhile I decide the brand and model I am working with a low-cost router that covers the needs of 75% of the home (impressive performance)

Before archiving the Orbi, I told myself, why not leave everything to the latest firmware level (both Satellite and Router) ? , so the following actions were performed

65 - Factory reset was performed on the Router and the Satellite
66 - Firmware 2.7.2.104 was reinstalled on both
67 - Router and Satellite were connected by cable from a LAN port of the router to a Lan port of the Satellite - After several minutes the Blue Halo appeared on the satellite and both teams were left without any active LED -
68 - Surprise - The Wifi network was operating for more than 48 hours without problems or drops - few connected equipment to test and they do not drop.
69 - I decided again then to try to synchronize the satellite wirelessly to use it in wireless backhaul mode and the satellite does not synchronize (Magenta led) and the Wifi network begins to fall again.
70 - I turn off everything and connect everything by cable again and the Wifi network works perfectly - it is isolated without connected devices and the Satellite appears as a wired device not as a backhaul in the attached devices.

The incredible thing is that in this way the WiFi network remains stable and does not have drops, but as soon as the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the Satellite the WiFi network start to drops.

Any aditional ideas , comments , ? (as a comment from my side , I can't wire in my house and everything must be wireless) 

Message 58 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the RBS from the RBRs web page. Power cycle the RBS and RBR, then try to sync them both in the same room as the RBR. 10 feet or so away from the RBR. Let the RBS stand for 5-10 minutes after the sync to see if anything happens on the RBS...

@AFD wrote:

This has become a hobby - (no longer a problem, but it is a matter of self-love , pride , never surrender , to know what it's happening) 

Did you think that the history of the RBK50 was over from my side?

The network, it is decided, will be changed by another Mesh system, meanwhile I decide the brand and model I am working with a low-cost router that covers the needs of 75% of the home (impressive performance)

Before archiving the Orbi, I told myself, why not leave everything to the latest firmware level (both Satellite and Router) ? , so the following actions were performed

65 - Factory reset was performed on the Router and the Satellite
66 - Firmware 2.7.2.104 was reinstalled on both
67 - Router and Satellite were connected by cable from a LAN port of the router to a Lan port of the Satellite - After several minutes the Blue Halo appeared on the satellite and both teams were left without any active LED -
68 - Surprise - The Wifi network was operating for more than 48 hours without problems or drops - few connected equipment to test and they do not drop.
69 - I decided again then to try to synchronize the satellite wirelessly to use it in wireless backhaul mode and the satellite does not synchronize (Magenta led) and the Wifi network begins to fall again.
70 - I turn off everything and connect everything by cable again and the Wifi network works perfectly - it is isolated without connected devices and the Satellite appears as a wired device not as a backhaul in the attached devices.

The incredible thing is that in this way the WiFi network remains stable and does not have drops, but as soon as the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the Satellite the WiFi network start to drops.

Any aditional ideas , comments , ? (as a comment from my side , I can't wire in my house and everything must be wireless) 

Message 59 of 73
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 is actually trying to tell you your firmware is faulty 

Message 60 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 is actually trying to tell you your firmware is faulty 

Could Be , but sincerely I'm lost because if you consider that failure started (without any change in the environment)  with a very old fimware 2.3.5.30 (with the same issues like I have today with the 2.7.2.104) , sincerely for me is a SciFi . 

So , gonna try what @FURRYe38 proposed and let's see. Expectations are null . 

Message 61 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Remove the RBS from the RBRs web page. Power cycle the RBS and RBR, then try to sync them both in the same room as the RBR. 10 feet or so away from the RBR. Let the RBS stand for 5-10 minutes after the sync to see if anything happens on the RBS...

Tested as requested ending with Magenta Led in RBS and continuous White Blink Led in Router .(no sync possible) . 

2021-03-18 23_34_16-Clipboard.png

See Picture above , this is the Only configuration where the WiFi is stable and not dropping .

I believe the action of syncing is failing because of the problem in the wifi . 

Message 62 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try and downgrade the FW on the RBR and RBS and see if that does anything. Possible there maybe a hardware fault as well. 

Message 63 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can try and downgrade the FW on the RBR and RBS and see if that does anything. Possible there maybe a hardware fault as well. 

71 - Done !! This is just a hobby for me to upgrade and downgrade de Orbi System . 

Sorry to say but it doesn't work . Downgrading firmware to 2.7.2.102 - Behaviour is the same - Wired OK - Satellite connected to router and Wifi Stable , as soon as you unplug the ethernet - Wifi drops - Satllite refused to sync wirelessly . 😞

New equipment already bought today in USA - Waiting for delivery and shipping time to my country .

Despite of the decision made , I'm going to continue testing (depending on availability) your ideas and proposals for testing are always very welcome . May be if someone can share this information with Netgear Technical Support L2 could be useful , but sincerely I don't have any positive expectations about it .  

Many thanks all the comunity  , for helping and supporting (In case I have some news regarding testing activities I will let you know , just to help others with similar issues) .  

Message 64 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like a hardware failure since this has been happening for a while across different versions. Sorry we couldn't get it working for you. 

Message 65 of 73
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems like a hardware failure since this has been happening for a while across different versions. Sorry we couldn't get it working for you. 

Hardware?

across different versions?

Message 66 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please , no apologies needed . Apologies should be come from Netgear , I didn't claim anything to them , no reimbursement , no RMA , no new products , just a simple explanation of what is happening , but nothing .

It's not a surprise , if you search in this and other forums like reddit , or social networks , they are plenty of users claiming with no answering and much worst than me , because they bought one or two monthes ago and in my case I could enjoy Orbi for almost 3 years. 

I've tested also Voxel Firmware with the same results Wifi Drops , so is very difficult to accept but perhaps it is a Hardware problem . (as always said HW should never failed , but SW can't never , if you've tested it in the proper way and with the right metodology) .

And the most important topic in the decision making process is the user experience , as you can imagine I can't talk this as a  satisfactory with the exception of this community support  . 

Stupid me , I didn't realize , when I bought , the expiration date for technical support in 90 days , because decision in this moment could be different .

Now Technical Support was the number one topic in the decision making process . Also because I tested it with another equipment and it is almost closer to perfect . (perhaps harware won't be the best , but I least you have someone listening and helping you on the other side of the planet , with no extra costs)

This community is one of the best I can see , but it's not an excuse for the NG Company to refuse support to end users and rest in the community to give us solutions . 

This is my opinion -  Sorry for the bla bla bla ,,, but I'm very angry with the NG Technical support behavior . Anyway , there are much more important things than a Mesh system that you can replace . 

Message 67 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hardware?

HI @vajim 

If you another test to be done I will be ready to perform it - 

But if I tested a lot of firmwares , and considering also Voxel ones , and if the problem started without any change in the environment , I believe we have two alternatives .

1 - Hardware failure

2 - Hardware expiration date (many articles talk about it , I don't believe it , but ....) which could be software . 

Anyway as mentioned above , many thanks for supporting and helping . 

Message 68 of 73
vajim
Master

@AFD wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hardware?

HI @vajim 

But if I tested a lot of firmwares , and considering also Voxel ones , and if the problem started without any change in the environment , I believe we have two alternatives .

1 - Hardware failure

2 - Hardware expiration date (many articles talk about it , I don't believe it , but ....) which could be software . 

what are you asking?

Message 69 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

@AFD wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hardware?

HI @vajim 

1 - Hardware failure

what are you asking?

Nothing . Just post the last activity and as fars as I know you posted a question . (Anyway , I don't have any answer yet and perhaps I never know) .  

Message 70 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

72 - Is too Funny , in the meantime I'm playing wiith the Orbi adding more and more devices with no wifi disconnection (running ok with the wired satellite)  but (you always  have a but with Netgear Orbi) I'm experimenting the famous DNS problems -

Some of the devices refuse to connect (specially a Notebook) and voilaa ,

I don't have DST enabled , I don't have the traffic metter enabled , and the only way to solve the problem was to change the DNS assignment on the client side ... (it's beatiful , isn't it) . 

This is not a question , this is a fact about the past and actual state of the art of Orbi firmware . 

Message 71 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

End of story .
Orbi system repacked and archived .
New mesh system up & running without problems until now since last week .
Hope to continue in this way .
Too sad how to finished without a single NG explanation .
Anyway there are more important things than a WiFi system which can always be replaced .
Good luck and thanks for helping to all the community .
Message 72 of 73
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Surprise : Amazon / Fakespot (at least for me) 

https://www.fakespot.com/product/netgear-orbi-high-performance-ac3000-tri-band-wifi-system-rbk50

Give a look to reviews , analysis and comments . 

Message 73 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 72 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7