Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Disconnecting

Shirosen
Guide

RBS50 Disconnecting

My Orbi RBS50 (satellites) has been disconnecting consistently, it would disconnect and a few seconds later turn blue. Thinking that the issue would resolve itself, I've let it continue for about two weeks now. Then I took to the forums and tried everything: 

1. I've updated both the RBR50 and RBS50 to the current firmware (V2.1.3.4)
  2. I've factory reset the system - when option one failed
  3. I'm now about to toss it and find something else

I don't know what might have caused these disconnections between the router and the satellites. The positions of the satellites have been the same for almost a year now. I've let the router and satellites auto-update - until now. 

Orbi.png

Please help! I am a student and I'm taking a couple of online courses; on 4/4/2018 I've disconnected during one of my online exams, my heart sank to the deepest depths possible.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

How big is the home your using the Orbi in? Sqft? 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many? 

Message 2 of 11
Bizneo38
Initiate

Same problem, started a few days ago with one disconnect everyday till today. I've had 5 so far today.

V2.1.3.4
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
Shirosen
Guide

There are about 4 other wireless networks around me; however, it has never been an issue before. As to how many square feet, I am not sure. I live in a one-story house, but the satellites are about 25ft away from the router.

Message 4 of 11
eljarviso
Luminary

I would suggest downgrading to a previous version to see if that fixes your issue.
Message 5 of 11
Shirosen
Guide

Which firmware version would you suggest?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

25 ft is a bit too short for having a stallite. There best in the range of 40-50 feet. 

You might try moving the Satellite out farther. If you can't, try running the router only with out the Satllite. The range of the routers wifi will be more than adequet for 25 ft. 

Also try setting a manual channel on 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 or 11, and any unused channel on 5ghz. 

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. Test with Beamforming enabled then disabled. 

If you upgraded to v2.1.3.4, besure you factory reset both router and satellite, then set up from scratch. You can downgrade FW as well. 

Message 7 of 11
Shirosen
Guide

Nothing seem's be working, disconnections are worse, I've done everything out there. Factory reset the thing over two times, made sure I had the current firmware, tried going back to the old firmware, and nothing. One month of constant disconnection between the satellite and the main router; even my brother got sick and tired of it and just ran an ethernet cable to his room - a freaking eyesore. I'm going to just toss this doorstopper and get something else, guess that would be the best solution here. Any recommendations as to what to get?

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using just the router itself?

Message 9 of 11
Shirosen
Guide

The Orbi router itself is working fine, it is the connection between the router and satellite that is the problem. The reason why I bought the Orbi, is not to be tied down by my router since it is in a difficult location to reach.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using just the router by itself?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements