Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Dropping Internet connectivity

maxhdrm22
Aspirant

RBS50 Dropping Internet connectivity

I have had a RBR50 with two RBS50 Satellites for several years without any issues, lately one of the RBS50 units seems to be intermittently dropping internet connectivity for wired/wireless devices connected to it.  I have seen  threads describing a similar problem that were "solved" by setting the wan_lease=1200 in the RBR50/RBS50, this required dropping back to a "old" firmware version (my firmware version is v2.7.3.22 the "old" version is V2.5.2.4 )  so that you could set an option to allow  telneting into the RBR50/RBS50 to set the wan_lease=1200.  I see the older version of the firmware is not available in the downloads area.  Is there a new solution to this issue?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50 Dropping Internet connectivity

Is it just the one satellite? Or is it a location thing? 

Have you tried switching the 2 satellites around to see if it is just related to the one satellite? 

And after trying that and testing for a bit, try swapping the power supplies. I've seen a sketchy power supply cause instabilities. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@maxhdrm22 wrote:

I see the older version of the firmware is not available in the downloads area. 

Every prior version of firmware is available on the Download page by clicking on the "+" (Plus sign) next to "View Previous Versions".

Some things to consider:

• If the system is manually loaded with previous firmware, Netgear will automatically update it to the current release unless you take steps to prevent that.  There is a draft of instructions on how to do that here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/29o00bhatat9vm2/FAQ%20How%20to%20Block%20Router%20Firmware%20Updates.pdf?d... 
  • The WAN lease time is set by the ISP when the Orbi requests an IP address.  The user can change the internal value, but my impression is that the next time the Orbi renews its lease, the value will get overwritten by whatever the ISP stipulates.
  • It seems hard to believe that the WAN IP lease time would affect only one satellite, and not the other.  None of the satellites have a direct connection to the ISP.

Message 3 of 5
maxhdrm22
Aspirant

It is just one satellite.   I tried switching the two satellites (location) and turned off what I thought was the "bad" satellite, the problem went away for the devices connected (both wired and wireless) to the moved satellite.  I turned  the "bad" satellite back on and I started having problems with internet connectivity on a iPad which I found was connected to the "bad" satellite. I did not move the wall warts (power supplies)  when I moved the satellites so that might eliminate that as the issue. 

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. 

Oh - my foopa, on my first look I did not see the arrow on the downloads page that showed more previous firmware versions, so I guess I could roll back to the older firmware version and try setting the wan_lease=1200 suggested fix.

Message 4 of 5
maxhdrm22
Aspirant

Thanks for the food for thought and sorry about missing the additional previous downloads.  I will have to try playing with it some more, right now I have the one satellite (the one I think is bad) off and everything seems to working.  I will turn it back on and connect some devices to it to see if I continue to see the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7