Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Incorrect Firmware Uploaded (v2.7.3.22)

RBS50 Incorrect Firmware Uploaded (v2.7.3.22)

I am trying to upgrade my satellite to the new firmware version V2.7.3.22 (article ID 000063811,  https://kb.netgear.com/000063811/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22) .  However, I'm getting an error saying that the firmware version is incorrect.  When I open the zip file, the .img file is "RBR50-V2.7.3.22.img".  Is the file name wrong or was the wrong file uploaded by Netgear?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has now corrected the file. Verified corrected. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656#M122...

@Roadrunner505 wrote:

I am trying to upgrade my satellite to the new firmware version V2.7.3.22 (article ID 000063811,  https://kb.netgear.com/000063811/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22) .  However, I'm getting an error saying that the firmware version is incorrect.  When I open the zip file, the .img file is "RBR50-V2.7.3.22.img".  Is the file name wrong or was the wrong file uploaded by Netgear?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No, NG has been notified and will fixe hopefully soon. 

Message 2 of 27
alstsmith
Apprentice

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

This file is broke still. Please wait on NG to fix this file before posting about it. 

Message 4 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has now corrected the file. Verified corrected. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656#M122...

@Roadrunner505 wrote:

Message 5 of 27
thatkid2diesel
Initiate

I tried to upload the new file that you linked to, I still get the error the firmware file is incorrect. Trying to upload to the Satellite first. File name inside the RBS50-V2.7.3.22 is still RBR50-v2.7.3.22.img. Release note file is RBS50-V2.7.3.22

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep checking back on the download links. Possible that various NG sites are not getting updated at the same time or the caches are not being updated for your area. You might power OFF your ISP modem/ONT and wifi router for 1 minute then back ON. Ensure you clear your browser caches as well. NG seems to be aware of whats going on. 

Do NOT attempt to update the RBS with the RBRs FW file!!!. 

Keep checking...you'll get the correct one eventually. 

@thatkid2diesel wrote:

I tried to upload the new file that you linked to, I still get the error the firmware file is incorrect. Trying to upload to the Satellite first. File name inside the RBS50-V2.7.3.22 is still RBR50-v2.7.3.22.img. Release note file is RBS50-V2.7.3.22

Message 7 of 27

Thank you @FURRYe38 ! The file you linked to worked for me. Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.12.27 PM.png

Message 8 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 27
daboss54
Aspirant

not working here either no correction from Netgear

Message 10 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

This isn't working for you at all?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656/high...

Might try powering OFF your ISP modem/ONT and router for 30 seconds then back ON. Clear out all browser caches as well. 

Is odd that some are getting the file and some don't. I was able to get this after getting home from work today. 

@daboss54 wrote:

not working here either no correction from Netgear

Message 11 of 27
daboss54
Aspirant

can you send the corrected file for rbs50 thanks

Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm using Opera GX. I just noticed that while on my Mac Laptop, the browser downloaded the wrong sized file. I selected the file again from the same link and it then downloaded the right sized file. Can you try this as well? Try Opera GX using the link from here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656/high...

Just select the RBS50 file a couple of times and see if it will download the right size file. The file should be 23MB, Not 44MB.

Message 13 of 27
thatkid2diesel
Initiate

That link took care of it for me. File was 22,592k. Previous file was 45,127k. I was able to use Chrome, the browser I tried opening with before. All is good now. Thank you for your help.

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 27
daboss54
Aspirant

It works Thank you!!

Message 16 of 27
svetaketu
Luminary

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 27
arbyjones
Aspirant

After Netgear corrected the file in the RBS.zip, i was able to upgrade the firmware on the satellites.  Unfortunately, when I went to upgrade the router, I was stupid and used the original file contained in the BAD rbs50.zip, which of course, appeared to be the RBR50 2.7.3 firmware image.

Upon upload, i immediately received an "internal server error" message from the router, and that was all she wrote.

No amount of holding down the reset button, or anything else, does anything to this BRICK now.

From on, power led is steady green, and never changes.  None of the LAN or WAN ports have any connection, and there is no SSID broadcast from it either.  It's a complete brick.

I've called netgear multiple times now, performing the same steps over and over again.  The first two agents said they would send me a replacement, even while i was out of my 1-week warrantly period they give us.  The last two agents, not so helpful.

They won't do crap for me, even though it was their bad firmware file that caused the problem.

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.  

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

@arbyjones wrote:

After Netgear corrected the file in the RBS.zip, i was able to upgrade the firmware on the satellites.  Unfortunately, when I went to upgrade the router, I was stupid and used the original file contained in the BAD rbs50.zip, which of course, appeared to be the RBR50 2.7.3 firmware image.

Upon upload, i immediately received an "internal server error" message from the router, and that was all she wrote.

No amount of holding down the reset button, or anything else, does anything to this BRICK now.

From on, power led is steady green, and never changes.  None of the LAN or WAN ports have any connection, and there is no SSID broadcast from it either.  It's a complete brick.

I've called netgear multiple times now, performing the same steps over and over again.  The first two agents said they would send me a replacement, even while i was out of my 1-week warrantly period they give us.  The last two agents, not so helpful.

They won't do crap for me, even though it was their bad firmware file that caused the problem.

Message 20 of 27
arbyjones
Aspirant

Thanks for that.  I tried recovering via tftp before even calling netgear support.  But, as i said, none of the ethernet ports ever even have "media" signal from the router.  And when i hold down the reset button for ANY amount of time, NOTHING ever happens.  Power light is the ONLY light i ever get, and it stays steady green, no matter what.  Lights on top haven't illuminated since the issue happened.

I will take a look at the other method you mentioned, nmrpflash, and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, keep us posted...

Message 22 of 27
arbyjones
Aspirant

I haven't tried the nmrpflash yet, but i doubt it will work since no matter what ethernet port i plug into on the RBR50, the laptop shows "Network Cable Unplugged".   😞

Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask what your options are. I would let them know what happended and see if they can help you out any.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

@arbyjones wrote:

I haven't tried the nmrpflash yet, but i doubt it will work since no matter what ethernet port i plug into on the RBR50, the laptop shows "Network Cable Unplugged".   😞

Message 24 of 27
arbyjones
Aspirant

Yeah, i have contacted NG support on the phone, 5 times so far.  Not here on the forums though, yet.  First person was helpful, walked me through the hold down reset 90 seconds in various stages of plugginedness, which didn't have any effect on the router.  Right at the end of the 90-second thing, I had a power outage that lasted hours at my house.  The rep said to call back when the power came back on, complete the 90sec thing, and if it still wasn't responding, they would send me out a replacement.

Next NG support rep tried to help, but basically, didn't read the earlier case notes, and wanted me to do the same thing.  Also, he disregarded the complete lack of lights (other than the steady green power), and wanted me to plug it back into my cable modem to see if it would magically have internet.  This call ended with him needing to check with his management team to see if he could send me a replacement, and said he would call me back later that afternoon.  He never called back.. Then i've called 2 more times in the next couple days.  Spoke with the same rep both times who won't comment on "what the status of my call back is".  But, he won't do anything because i'm out of the hardware warranty.  He discounts that the cause of the problem was created by using a bad firmware file downloaded from the netgear website.

I haven't called  back in a few days.. and in case anyone from NG is looking at these forums, my case# is 44823167 .

Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 

-Ryan

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7