Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Needs Firmware Update according to the App

brecc1784
Guide

RBS50 Needs Firmware Update according to the App

I have the RBR50 and the RBS50.  Recently I noticed my devices were not connecting to the RBS50.  When I open the Orbi app on my phone, it connects to the router and then shows my satellite needs an update.  I then click on the orange Update, and the app shows Check for New Firmware (wait about 5 minutes while your orbi checks for new firmware).  I've let is sit like that for 20+ minutes and nothing ever happens.  Any suggestions?  Sorry, I am not the most technically savy person. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

When I checked the firmware version on orbilogin.com, the status says "No new firmware vesrion available" for both the router and satellite.  My current version for both is v1.4.0.34.  Is that the most current version?  If not, do I have to do it manually?  Will that fix the issue of devices not connecting to the satellite and having poor speeds near it?

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Install the 2.2.1.212 version. 

From there you can try to auto-update. It was needed to expand the partition size. 

Message 4 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

Thank you for your help.  Does the router need a firmware update as well, or just the satellite?  Also, where will I find that firmware version?  The netgear download center shows to download 2.7.3.22.

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

They both need it. But update the satellites first, then the router. 

In the spot you're on, click on "+view previous versions"

Message 6 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

Sorry, but I downloaded 2.2.1.212 version for the RBS50, followed all the steps, and when I clicked Upload, it returned with "The firmware file is incorrect!  Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

did you extract the file? 
Try the .210 version first, then the .212

Message 8 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

Yes, RBS50-V2.2.1.212.img
Message 9 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

And it just provided the same error on .210 file.
Message 10 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

It allowed .74, and once that completed, it's now allowing .212
Message 11 of 13
brecc1784
Guide

Hopefully my last question. I updated my satellite and then my router to .212 after loading .74. Now, if I log in, it says my satellite is on 2.7.3.22. I'm guessing that was automatically done? Should I up date my router to the same since it's still at .212?
Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

It should Auto update as well but you can always manually do it
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements