Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Signal through window

cdrood
Follower

RBS50 Signal through window

The main reason I got this system several years ago was due to a Ring floodlight camera not being able to connect to my wifi.  This week, it stopped working.  I have the satellite positioned inside that house on the window sill about 20 ft from the camera and it's not working.  The camera shows up on the list of connected devices, but doesn't seem to have internet access.

I tested with my phone right outside the window, with mobile data off, and I have no WiFi connection.  Inside, it seems to work as normal and my phone shows up connected to the satellite.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
poker1234
Aspirant

Re: RBS50 Signal through window

If you have access to an android cellphone - the Orbi app that runs on andriod has a wifi signal meter.   (Not in the Apple version.)  

Lots of folks struggle getting wifi outside.  Windows generaly let signals thru, but not always.

Try to move your router / Sat - higher in the room.  That helps a ton.  If no shelf handy, there is acriclic wall mounts for sale (amazon.)  

Having the signal meter helps.  Also rebooting/reseting the ring light may help.   I've also seen 'false' describstions of being connected from the orbi control panel.   Perhaps also do a reboot of orbi all around before rebooting the ring.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 Signal through window

@cdrood wrote:

The main reason I got this system several years ago was due to a Ring floodlight camera not being able to connect to my wifi.  This week, it stopped working.  I have the satellite positioned inside that house on the window sill about 20 ft from the camera and it's not working.  The camera shows up on the list of connected devices, but doesn't seem to have internet access.

I tested with my phone right outside the window, with mobile data off, and I have no WiFi connection.  Inside, it seems to work as normal and my phone shows up connected to the satellite.

Can you please clarify one point: The Ring floodlight camera worked for several years and this week it stopped working, correct?

Nothing changed?  Same window glass? Same Ring floodlight camera? Same Orbi RBS50?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7