Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Synced via WiFi Then Wired - Still Shows 5G Backhaul

cfryer
Tutor

RBS50 Synced via WiFi Then Wired - Still Shows 5G Backhaul

I have a wired home network extend through an Orbi RBR50 and two RBS50s.  I synced the RBS50s to the RBR50 wirelessly and then plugged them into my wired network.  The RBR50 is in AP mode and I use a different Internet firewall/router to connect to my ISP.  This configuation works but the Orbi admin page shows that they are still connected via 5G backhaul.  This seems improbable as I am getting fast wireless when fairly far from the RBR50 and close to the furthest RBS50 (prior to adding this RBS50, I barley got any signal in the same location.  Oddly, devices that are wired to the new RBS50 show as connected to the RBR50.  In fact, no devices show as connected to either satellite on the admin page.  Other tests suggest a wired backhaul too.  Pinging the IP address of the furthest satellite from a wired Windows PC gives consistent sub one millesecond response times (<1ms).

Is the admin software just incorrect that I am using 5G backhaul?

Firmware 2.5.1.16 on all devices.

Thanks! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cfryer
Tutor

Re: RBS50 Synced via WiFi Then Wired - Still Shows 5G Backhaul

The networking change fixed the reporting issue.  I was plugged into the WAN port on the RBR50 but the RBS50s were on the same network.  Used a Netgear 5 port gig switch for the two RBS50s and plugged into one of the LAN ports on the RBR50.  Admin console now correctly reports the configuration.

Oddly, everything worked before too.  It was just the console no reporting correctly.

Thank you for being persistent.  I had read the doc and assumed that my RBR50 was using only LAN ports as that's the way I had setup all my previous Netgear WAPs as I always use my own firewall/router.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Be sure your RBS is connected behind the RBR and not in parallel with the RBR. 

Message 2 of 6
cfryer
Tutor

Firmware on all devices is 2.5.1.16

As the RBR50 is in AP mode, all Orbi units are technically on the same network behid the firewall.  The RBR50 is not cabled to the WAN port at all.  The switch is a Cisco 2960G.  I may have a dumb Netgear switch kicking around that I can use to isolate the RBS50s directly to the RBR50 but as they are really all on the same wired network, it doesnt seem necessary.

I do believe the RBS50s are using wired even though the admin webpage doesnt show it.  I just did a speedtest from a wireless PC in a location that could not reach the RBR50 before I installed the new RBS50.  I get 315Mbs download.

Any others think the admin webpage is simply incorrect and they truly do have a wired backhaul?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your RBS is connected behind the RBR and not in parallel with the RBR. For Orbi systems, this is nesessary to get correct status of the RBS on the RBRs web page. They can't be parallel. Also you need to use the WAN port for the RBRs conenction to the main host router, router mode or AP mode. 

Be sure the RBS is wired behind the RBR as seen in the link provided. 

Your Cisco switch is managed switch, you can use this up stream from the RBR. The RBS still needs to be connected behind the RBR using a non manged switch is preferred. You can use a managed switch in between the RBR and RBS however ALL IGMP and green ethernet protocols needs to be disabled on this switch. Easier if you have a non managed, non green ethernet switch. 

Message 4 of 6
cfryer
Tutor

The networking change fixed the reporting issue.  I was plugged into the WAN port on the RBR50 but the RBS50s were on the same network.  Used a Netgear 5 port gig switch for the two RBS50s and plugged into one of the LAN ports on the RBR50.  Admin console now correctly reports the configuration.

Oddly, everything worked before too.  It was just the console no reporting correctly.

Thank you for being persistent.  I had read the doc and assumed that my RBR50 was using only LAN ports as that's the way I had setup all my previous Netgear WAPs as I always use my own firewall/router.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the configuration fix worked. As it should. When it comes to Orbi, things are done a bit differently. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7