Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 - We just added an additional satellite to our Mesh system it keeps disconnecting

apolci01
Aspirant

RBS50 - We just added an additional satellite to our Mesh system it keeps disconnecting

We just added another Satellite to our Mesh system.   Therefore I have my router and 2 satellites now.   Our house is 4160 (2 stories)   our router is on the 1st floor.   We have always had a Satellite on the 2nd floor and never had a problem.   We recently moved that satellite to the garage 50 feet from the house to the garage.  It had full single (blue light ) so we ordered an additional satellite for our 2nd floor to replace the one we moved to the the garage.   When we received it we added it and it worked fine for the first month.   Now it is consistently going offline.   We will have to reboot it.  It will show a blue light but you will sit next to it and right after it shows it is online.......there will be NO internet on the 2nd floor...... It is so frustrating.   I looked up if there was a firmware update and there is not.   What am I doing wrong? 

Message 1 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBS50 - We just added an additional satellite to our Mesh system it keeps disconnecting

Hello apolci01,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having network issues with your RBS50 on the second floor. 

What is the firmware version of your RBR50 and your RBS50?

Best,

Kevin 

Community Team

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 - We just added an additional satellite to our Mesh system it keeps disconnecting

It might be worth taking a few minutes to swap the two satellites (upstairs and garage) to see if the problem follows the newer satellite when it moves to the garage and the original satellite performs well when back in the original position.

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Also, it would be helpful to know how the two satellites are connecting:

• Are they both connecting directly to the router? or
  • Is one satellite connecting to the other satellite?

This will be revealed in the Orbi 'app' Network Map or the web browser interface Attached Devices page.

Message 4 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

V1.4.0.18

Message 5 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

V2.7.3.22 for the Satellite

V1.4.0.18 for the Router

Message 6 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

Ok you are alot better at this than I.  I thought they had to connect to the router... I will take a look at the network map you speak of and take a look.   I just notice from another user that the firmware on the router and the first satellite is older than the new satellite so maybe that is why also.   Looks like I have to manually update that then I will check how they are mapped.  thank you so much... I will update after I do all of the above

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

If the router firmware is actually V1.4.0.18, then firmware has to be updated in two steps:

This step is required because when Netgear first deployed the Orbi, no one expected that the firmware would eventually grow past a specific size (I forget what that size was), and so the firmware update router would reject any firmware image greater than that size.

Netgear released this specific version (212) to modify that specific feature so that larger firmware images could be loaded successfully.

Message 8 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

Ok I am updating thank you

Message 9 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

Message 10 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

I could not get that Firmware to upload the latest version that would upload was V1.12.0.18

on the router and satellite anything with V2 would not load

Message 11 of 15
apolci01
Aspirant

I also checked and the 2 satellites are connecting directly to the router...

Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@apolci01 wrote:

I also checked and the 2 satellites are connecting directly to the router...

That is understandable because the first firmware to support "Daisy Chain" was V2.0.0.74.

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@apolci01 wrote:

I could not get that Firmware to upload the latest version that would upload was V1.12.0.18

on the router and satellite anything with V2 would not load

The satellite is not particularly relevant as it is only one firmware release "behind" (and will probably get updated automatically once the router get to the current firmware).

My guess is that there is little chance that the configuration will remain intact over such a huge jump in firmware.

It might be necessary to do a Factory Reset on the router before doing the "two step" firmware update.

(and not set the WiFi SSID/password to the desired value until the process is complete).

There are also ways to "flash" the firmware directly to the router, which may be a "last resort" sort of tactic.

Message 14 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello apolci01,

Thank you for your reply!

Since your firmware is that low you will have to do incremental updates to get the firmware for your router up to date. Update your satellites starting with firmware version 2.0.0.74 then proceed with incremental updates until your firmware is updated to firmware 2.7.4.24. 

Please visit the page below for firmware supported by your RBS50:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50.aspx#download

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements