Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 always offine

Swap
Aspirant

RBS50 always offine

My satellite RBS50 always offline, why is that? No matter you do restart or sync it again n again . It has latest firmware
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

How are the Satellites connected? Wireless or wired? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Swap wrote:
My satellite RBS50 always offline, why is that? No matter you do restart or sync it again n again . It has latest firmware

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

It is probably useful to verify that this is (a) a satellite that is being installed for the first time, or (b) the satellite has been installed and working just fine for a while but suddenly stopped working?

I assume that you have determined the satellite is "offline" by browsing to the Orbi web interface (normally 192.168.1.1, although you may have set it to a different IP).  Opening "Attached Devices" and you do not see any "Connected Satellites".  Correct?

It appears that you have done a "factory reset", by following these steps:

Unplug the satellite. Put it in the same room as the router, but do not plug it in yet.

Get your trusty unbent paperclip tool.

When you plug in the satellite, press the paperclip in the tiny "Reset" hole until the LED turns orange (yellow?) and flashes.

(holding it in too long is better than too short  I didn't wait long enough and thought I was resetting when I actually wasn't.)

Go back to the Orbi web interface and select "Add Orbi Satellite" at the bottom of the Basic tab.

Follow the steps through the Add Satellite pages.  The sync process takes longer than I expected it would.

After it finishes, and the lights behave as they are supposed to, go to "Attached Devices" and verify that the satellite appears as "Connected."

If, at this point, the satellite does not show as "Connected", this is not good.

If it does show as connected, then unplug it, put it back where it belongs, plug it in and watch the light show.

Trudge back to the router and refresh the Attached Devices page.  If it does not show as connected, now is the time to talk about how far it is from the router and what lies in the path between them.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser or app are you using to check the status of the satellite? 

Message 4 of 10
Swap
Aspirant

Modem: Motorola Arris SB6183
mode: Router
Switch: 2 Netgear (8 and 4 )
Satellite connection: wireless
House size:3500 sq ft
Distance between: around 30-35 ft
2.4 GHz: Auto
5 GHz:48
WiFi near by : 6-7
WPA2
Message 5 of 10
Swap
Aspirant

Orbi App
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the info.  Again, we assume that the Orbi is connected directly to the Arris and that the switches are connected to the Orbi (or satellite) not to the Arris and not between the Arris and Orbi.  I have no experience with smartphone apps and Orbi.  I always use the web interface from a web browser on my PC (although others use laptops, Mac's or tablets).  And, I prefer to use a PC connected with Ethernet cable directly to a port on the Orbi.

I guess we sort of neglected to ask "are things connected to the satellite and working?"  Are you concerned because the Orbi app says the satellite is not connected and not because "devices aren't working"?  My first step would be to connect a web browser to the router and check the Attached Devices page to see if it matches the Orbi app.

Message 7 of 10
randomousity
Luminary

You're able to sync it, though? And exactly what do you mean by it's always offline? It doesn't work at all? It works, but doesn't appear online on the Orbi app/configuration page? You put it as an Armor issue, so is it just that it doesn't show up as online within the Armor portal? If that's the case, and you're using the beta firmware, then you should be posting this in the beta forum. But it's also unclear what your actual problem is.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ethernet switches in the configuration.

@Swap wrote:
Modem: Motorola Arris SB6183
mode: Router
Switch: 2 Netgear (8 and 4 )
Satellite connection: wireless
House size:3500 sq ft
Distance between: around 30-35 ft
2.4 GHz: Auto
5 GHz:48
WiFi near by : 6-7
WPA2

Message 9 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Sounds to me like he hasnt properly setup/paired his satellite, but hard to tell from the description.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7