Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 as an extender for Altice Gateway modem.

soupbones
Tutor

RBS50 as an extender for Altice Gateway modem.

Optimum has just ran fiber to my house and with it came their Altice Gateway modem. I have been getting "BRS_wanlan_conflict.html" errors on most sites I visit, and the Orbi app says I have no internet connection (even though I do). 

So I called Optimum assuming the issue is their modem is conflciting with my RBS50 modem.

Optimum said if I want to continue to use my Orbi mesh network, I need to use them as extenders. They are are unable (or unwilling) to set up the Altice modem in a mode that would make it work with my Orbi. 

Can the RBS50 be used as an extender? If so, how do I do that?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50 as an extender for Altice Gateway modem.

The RBS50 units don't have an extender mode. but you can put the primary orbi router (RBR50) in access point mode and then be able to use the router/satellites. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The RBS50 units don't have an extender mode. but you can put the primary orbi router (RBR50) in access point mode and then be able to use the router/satellites. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 2 of 16
alokeprasad
Mentor

What if he is unable to disable the WiFi on his cable modem?

Don't know if the Altice cable modem supplied by Optimim has WiFi features .. but if they do, disable it when using the Orbi (in access point mode).

Message 3 of 16
soupbones
Tutor

Optimum told me that disabling the wifi on their modem is currently "not supported".

I'll give the AP mode a try - thanks!

Message 4 of 16
plemans
Guru

Even if you can't disable the wifi on the altice, you can still make sure to seperate out the channels the altice uses from the orbi to prevent interference. 

Message 5 of 16
soupbones
Tutor

How do I do that? Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

You can either look in the altice's wireless settings to find out what channels it is set on and then using different ones for the orbi. 

Or you could download a wireless scan program (like acrylic, winfi, or inssider) and use those to determine which channels the altice is using. 

Message 7 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@soupbones wrote:

Optimum has just ran fiber to my house and with it came their Altice Gateway modem.

Is there a product label on this Altice Gateway modem?  Google searches turn up scads of material about "Can I do (this or that) with Optimum?"  Would like to find the correct User Manual on line.

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
soupbones
Tutor

Message 9 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@soupbones wrote:

Optimum told me that disabling the wifi on their modem is currently "not supported".

Page 44 of the manual says that holding the WPS button for 5 seconds turns the WiFi on or off. Two LED's on the front show the current status. (page 46).  Should be easy to verify.

Message 10 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

The "User Manual" contains nothing about how to configure the software.  i.e. things like DHCP range, assigning IP's, setting the SSID, etc.

Have a suspicion that their "login" instructions will not work, but did find this:

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/router/altice-labs/FiberGateway%20GR240BG/3029/ 

Message 11 of 16
alokeprasad
Mentor

See if they'll (Optimim) give you a plain-vanilla cable modem.

Of find their list of compatible modems on their tech support site and buy one.  I have bought mine to avoid paying a monthly fee to my ISP.

Message 12 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

See if they'll (Optimim) give you a plain-vanilla cable modem.

Of find their list of compatible modems on their tech support site and buy one.  I have bought mine to avoid paying a monthly fee to my ISP.

Alas, this specific part is a combination fiber ONT/router/WiFi box.  Has a fiber connector on the back. (not a cable modem).

With fiber, customers are back in the "have to use the provider's box" situation.

Message 13 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

This site says the default login is "admin" and "admin". (If it is not printed on the label)

https://knowmyrouter.com/altice-labs/fibergateway-gr240bg/ 

Seems strange (to me) that an ISP would deploy home WiFi systems and not give the customer any method to customize the WiFi SSID. (They expect customers to manually change every device to their choice of SSID rather than make one change on the router?)

Message 14 of 16
parbo
Aspirant

I've been questioning Altice for past 2 years now. Their answer is it's in the works where can change everything but not now. Wish I can turn off my WIFI signal and change my SSID and channels but can't.

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

So leave the altice gateway as is and just change the ssid/channels on the netgear. 

Its a PITA this time but next time you change routers, you can just use the same ssid. 

Unfortunate but might be nicer to have your own ssid

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7