Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 backhaul in config sync

starnz
Aspirant

RBS50 backhaul in config sync

Hello,

I have had my Orbi system for over 2 years and it has mostly been a realiable system for me. I bought the RBK50 to cover a 5k sqft space and recently decided to increase my coverage by adding an additional satelite. After purchasing a new RBS50, I have incorprated it into my system and now have one RBR50 and two RBS50s working as a system.The original equipment still works well and the new satelite seems to works fine as well. There is one ios devise hardwired to it and it is performing great. 

The problem is the backhaul for the new satelite shows as "Config Sync" on the web interface. I don't really know what backhaul is nor what it affects but the original satelite shows the status as "Good" on the same screen. I've done some checking on the forums and the main thing that I have potentially wrong is the original RBK equipment is on the same FW while the new RBS is on a different FW. I've updated the original RBR and the new RBS but am not able to update the original RBS. When I try to update, the FW Update tab on the web interface just says "checking" under the RBS FW version and never shows if an update is available.

Not sure if the FW version has anything to do the backhaul issue or if it even is an issue that it says config sync. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: karjrz@hotmail.com

You might want try this for RBS thats on v4:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then update the RBR. Once the original RBS and RBR are updated the new RBS should show GOOD and no more Config Sync.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 backhaul in config sync

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Has a full power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON been performed? Turning ON The RBS one at a time? Try doing this with the RBS near or in the same room as the RBR to get it setup and into a GOOD state, then place back in its remote location. 

Config sync is a status saying that the RBS is getting it's configuration information from the RBR and should change from config sync to GOOD after 5 minutes. Anything longer than this, then something isn't working right. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? If it is, disable this.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 15
starnz
Aspirant

karjrz@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply....

I will try your suggested power cycle steps when I get home and report back this evening. If there are still issues, I will follow up with answers to your other troubleshooting questions.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 15
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The OP needs to set daisychain feature as a function of the topology of his or her configuration.
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Depends on if they have a Daisy Chain placement on the RBS or not...

Message 6 of 15
starnz
Aspirant

karjrz@hotmail.com

Ok....

When I got home yesterday evening, I first tried the power cycle sequence outlined in the post from FURRYe38. When everything came back up, both satellites were in a "Good" backhaul state temporarily. The new RBS50 reverted back to config sync after about 15 mintes and has been in that state since.

The router is in the basement and the first satellite is on the next level, about 20 ft away. These are the two original peices of equipment that have been working fine and the backhaul status is "Good". The new satellite is one floor above the 1st satellite, maybe 25 ft away. This is the one that has config sync status.

The firmware version for the original router and satellite are both v2.5.2.4. The FW for the new satellite is v2.7.1.60.The original set is the first version with the USB port on the back but the new satellite is the V2 without the USB port.

The Daisey Chain is and has been set to "Off". I have done a factory reset. The modem is an ATT provided device, Arris model BGW210-700. 

Hope this helps

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

"The firmware version for the original router and satellite are both v2.5.2.4. The FW for the new satellite is v2.7.1.60." Ah ah...You need to update the original RBR and RBS to same version as seen on the new RBS. FW needs to be the same version through out the Orbi units.

Message 8 of 15
starnz
Aspirant

karjrz@hotmail.com

That's what I thought it may be. However, the original RBR and RBS are showing no FW updates available. and the new RBS just keeps showing as though it is checking for available updates. When I try to manually update, I have to log in to the satellite but it wont accept my password. I have tried both my unique password and the default, "admin/password" combo. See attached.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want try this for RBS thats on v4:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then update the RBR. Once the original RBS and RBR are updated the new RBS should show GOOD and no more Config Sync.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops, linked to the wrong version your new RBS is using. 

Download files from here for the RBS and RBR:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

Message 11 of 15
starnz
Aspirant

karjrz@hotmail.com

Thank you, I will try this and report back.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 15
starnz
Aspirant

karjrz@hotmail.com

I followed your latest set of instructions and now have all three devices on the same FW version. So far so good, everything is working and in "Good" backhaul state.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread as solves so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7