Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 blinking white - cannot connect

treadpool
Tutor

RBS50 blinking white - cannot connect

My Orbi satellite is flashing white and I'm not sure why. I've been having sporadic network problems since I upgraded the firmware on the router. Unfortunately I upgraded the firmware on the router before the satellite which I now know is opposite of what you're supposed to do. Unfortunately it didn't say anywhere during the process that I should start at the satellite first, so I fear that it's bricked. The satellite doesn't show up as a device on the router I've tried syncing it normally I've tried a full reset of the router and doing a reset on the satellite with a pin. I've connected a Windows laptop directly to the satellite via ethernet and ran arp -a to see what IP it gives, but it's just 169 type addresses so I can't even use TFTP to load a firmware.

What are my options? This setup is only 1.5 months old.
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try another factory reset on the RBS with a wired PC connected to it. Wait about 4-5 minutes. IF the RBS is still working, the PC will get a IP address. You can access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250 with a web browser. If you can get here, load the FW file to the RBS. Factory reset the RBS and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

Thanks. To be clear, what are the steps for a factory reset for the satellite? I've read various versions of the steps to take. What I have tried is:

1. Insert paperclip and hold for 30 sec
  2. While still inserted, unplug the power
  3. While still inserted, plug in power and keep it there another 30 sec

That seem right?

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

While plugged in to the power, press the back button for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 4 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@treadpool wrote:
 I've connected a Windows laptop directly to the satellite via ethernet and ran arp -a to see what IP it gives, but it's just 169 type addresses so I can't even use TFTP to load a firmware.

When a product is unable to get an IP address, it is common for them to create their own "169.x.x.x" address.  In order to tftp firmware in that situation, the laptop has to be given an IP that is in the same subnet.  i.e. Go into the Network and Sharing Center and change the ethernet port from DHCP to "Static IP" and give it a "169.x.x.x" address with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.  Then connect directly from laptop to satellite.  When the process is over, the laptop has to be reconfigured to DHCP for it to work on your network again. 

The whole tftp process is a chore, what with messing with the network settings.  I have actually done this with a RBS50 satellite, so I know it is possible.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully a reset and connection with the wired PC to the RBS will be all they need. Hopefully. 

Message 6 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

Ok so the simple reset didn't work. Resorted to TFTP which was successful and the img file was transferred. What am I supposed to do next? There's no ring light pulsing anymore and the green power led is solid. There's no response when I press the Sync button.
Message 7 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you press the sync button on both the satellite and the router?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ 

Message 8 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

Yes. No pulsing at all on the satellite. Both sync buttons pressed.
Message 9 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, gee.  Does the satellite go through the color sequence as described on this web page?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

And, the satellite does not appear on the list of Attached Devices (at all)?

Message 10 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

No lights at all. 😞 Not on list of devices
Message 11 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

If there are no ring lights at all when the satellite is powered up, it sounds "dead" to me.

Let me guess, you have had it more than 90 days, correct?

Message 12 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

I did another factory reset and the top ring light is blinking white again. Back to square one it seems. I've only had it for about a month. On with support going through the steps. Hopefully an RMA is coming.

Before this I had a TPLink router that didn't hiccup for 4 years. This Netgear Orbi is really of questionable quality for $300.
Message 13 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

You get 90 days of telephone support. Go to the registration page and there is a link. If they can't fix it, they may replace it.
Message 14 of 19
treadpool
Tutor

Yeah they can't fix so a replacement is authorized. No stock though currently so I have to call back in a day to check again.
Message 15 of 19
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@treadpool wrote:
I did another factory reset and the top ring light is blinking white again. Back to square one it seems. I've only had it for about a month. On with support going through the steps. Hopefully an RMA is coming.

Before this I had a TPLink router that didn't hiccup for 4 years. This Netgear Orbi is really of questionable quality for $300.

Might want to be patient and wait until it stops pulsing white, which could take a while.  You're not alone with this issue it seems.  Check out this thread on a similar issue. 

@SW_ wrote:

@MTS99 wrote:

The power light is on and the ring light is pulsing white.  The satellite units are pulsing red.  When I reboot the unit goes to the pulsating white light. The first thing I tried was to just reboot,  and then I reset the unit to factory settings.  I haven’t tried hardwiring to the router.  I give it a try.

Satellite and router ring LEDs

• Pulsing white. Your Orbi router and satellite are applying a configuration or updating their firmware.
  • OFF. Your Orbi router and satellite are working normally.

Be patient...(?)

Good Luck!

Message 16 of 19
chuckblues
Aspirant

Oh, oh.  😞  

Does it say somewhere that pulsing white means "doing firmware upgrade" ?

If so; that may mean when it started pulsing white after midnight in our sleep-dark bedroom where my wife was battling a migraine and she unplugged the annoying blinking light, she may have killed it in the middle of a firmware upgrade.   And that is one way to convert expensive high-tech devices into nearly worthless scrap.   😞       Please tell me it isn't so.

I'll try the hardwired PC connection with internet browser access to 192.168.1.250 but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pressing the reset buttin in back for 15 seconds then let go. Have a wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. See if the top LED starts to blink WHITE the slow plusate WHITE. Can you connect a web browser to 192.168.1.1? 

If this is in a room where people sleep, you may want to move it to a different room or place some sort of black fabric in front of the unit to hid the light coming from the top of the RBR. 

Review this if you can access the RBR to see if you can recover it:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

@chuckblues wrote:

Oh, oh.  😞  

If so; that may mean when it started pulsing white after midnight in our sleep-dark bedroom where my wife was battling a migraine and she unplugged the annoying blinking light, she may have killed it in the middle of a firmware upgrade.   And that is one way to convert expensive high-tech devices into nearly worthless scrap.   😞       Please tell me it isn't so.

I'll try the hardwired PC connection with internet browser access to 192.168.1.250 but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Message 18 of 19
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@chuckblues wrote:

Oh, oh.  😞  

If so; that may mean when it started pulsing white after midnight in our sleep-dark bedroom where my wife was battling a migraine and she unplugged the annoying blinking light, she may have killed it in the middle of a firmware upgrade...

Yes, cilck the bellow LEDs link under my sig. for more details.  As @FURRYe38 said, just do a hard factory reset and wait it out until it stops blinking.  You will know it's done when you can access the router via default WiFi SSID.  There's a reason the FW upgrade happens in the middle of the night.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7