Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 brings down network when plugged into Gigabit switch

RBS50 brings down network when plugged into Gigabit switch

My Orbi network was working fine until two weeks ago then it inexplicably started going haywire.

I'm running V2.1.4.16 and using an ethernet backhaul between the RBR50 and the RBS50 via a Trendnet TEG-S16Dg. When the satellite is plugged into the switch I pretty much lose the network and the network clients all report my internet connection is down. If I plug the RBS50 directly into the RBR50 then everything seems to run ok. I would leave it this way except that the network cable isn't really long enough to make the connection without making my partner unhappy (she doesn't think it's aesthetically pleasing).

Is there another fix for this and/or is there an unmanaged 16 port Gigabit switch that works with this system?

Thanks

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 15
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

Your Trendnet switch appears to be an unmanaged switch, so it should be working with the Orbi without a problem (although your model is now discontinued). Also, it sounds like your wired backhaul was working until 2 weeks ago, so maybe your switch is starting to fail.

I have 2 TP-Link unmanaged switches in my setup (an 8 port and a 5 port), but they also make a 16 port (TL-SG116) that you might want to try.

Message 2 of 15
Pacspud
Aspirant

I started having a similar situation two days ago. 

My satellite is connected via ethernet, but when it was plugged in and running my clients wouldn't connect and report the network was down. Unplugging the satellite left the main router up and clients would reconnect. 

I generated a new security code on the main router (not sure if its even really used when connecting via ethernet/switch) and then resynced the satellite. 14 hours in and the network has stayed up so far. . . .

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the mfr and model# of the ethernet switch?

@Pacspud wrote:

I started having a similar situation two days ago. 

My satellite is connected via ethernet, but when it was plugged in and running my clients wouldn't connect and report the network was down. Unplugging the satellite left the main router up and clients would reconnect. 

I generated a new security code on the main router (not sure if its even really used when connecting via ethernet/switch) and then resynced the satellite. 14 hours in and the network has stayed up so far. . . .

Message 4 of 15

I like to say corelation is not causation but in the last two weeks I did the following:

1. updated the iOS client - if I recall, this forced the mesh system to restart and I remember having to check if it had brought a firmware update along with the client update (it didn't). The issues may have started from there

2. I configured a Dynamic DNS entry on the RBR50.

I haven't yet reset the whole thing to start from scratch but I'm now wondering if I should

Message 5 of 15

In case you were asking me for that info - it's a Trendnet TEG-S16Dg

Message 6 of 15

Everything else that is connected to the switch seems ok, the satellite is the only thing complaining.  I have moved it through all the ports to eliminate a port problem.  Not that I mind spending the money but don't really want to buy a switch if I don't need to.  It may probably be a better spend getting a longer network cable to plug directly into the RBR50 so it doesn't look as unsightly to the girlfriend 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, it's not a managed switch however I have seen a few others with this switch or with this "GREENnet technology reduces power consumption by up to 70%*" on there switches. I can't confirm however by responces I got after this switch was removed from the mix, there systems worked better.

So one way to test, is to take a satellite and directly connect it to the router, by passing the switch. Give 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. I would set up a IP address for the satellite ON the router as well before you turn off the satellite and do the same thing with any additional satellites. Once you get them set up directly with the router, then place remotely.

I would also try testing with a standard non managed switch something like NGs GS501 series or D-Links DGS series, I have to DGS105s in between my base and satellite. These are just simple as you can get standard non managed switches with out any additional features. I also have tested the NG GS501 or is the 105? Can't remember right now. NGs simple non managed switch. Works.

Also make sure that all the LAN cables in the home are of good qualilty as well. I use CAT6.

Message 8 of 15

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya, it's not a managed switch however I have seen a few others with this switch or with this "GREENnet technology reduces power consumption by up to 70%*" on there switches. I can't confirm however by responces I got after this switch was removed from the mix, there systems worked better.

So one way to test, is to take a satellite and directly connect it to the router, by passing the switch. Give 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. I would set up a IP address for the satellite ON the router as well before you turn off the satellite and do the same thing with any additional satellites. Once you get them set up directly with the router, then place remotely.

I would also try testing with a standard non managed switch something like NGs GS501 series or D-Links DGS series, I have to DGS105s in between my base and satellite. These are just simple as you can get standard non managed switches with out any additional features. I also have tested the NG GS501 or is the 105? Can't remember right now. NGs simple non managed switch. Works.

Also make sure that all the LAN cables in the home are of good qualilty as well. I use CAT6.

Thanks FURRYe38 I had already done everything you suggested in paragraph 2, so it's nice to get confirmation that I'm on the right track with troubleshooting. I'll order a new Netgear or TPLink 16 port Gb switch today and also a longer network cable for the heck of it.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Let us know how it turns out. Ethernet backhaul works once you get it running with the right NON managed switch. LOL.

Something I wish NG would make the Orbi not so picky about. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 15

Well a new wrinkle in this whole thing - I just bypassed the Gbit switch and plugged the RBS50 into the RBR50 and the problem happened again. I changed cables (quality Cat 6) and repeated and experienced the same thing so I can safely rule out the cable and the switch.

Resetting it to factory and taking it back to Costco for a replacement.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, when you setting up wired back haul, disconnect ALL other wired devices from the router. Just leave 1 wired PC connected.

Message 12 of 15
AC641
Luminary

Try the following that has resolved this issue for me post short power outages.

Go into the ROUTER's GUI and look at the attached devices.  Ensure that the satellite is shown.

Unplug the wired backhaul Ethernet cable from the SATELLITE.

Power cycle the SATELLITE and whilst it's rebooting look in the ROUTER'S GUI - you'll see that the SATELLITE is shown as disconnected and you have the option to remove it; do so i.e. select 'Remove.'**

Within the ROUTER'S GUI select Add Satellite and follow the prompts to add it wirelessly initially.

Once connected wirelessly wait a few minutes and then reconnect the backhaul  Ethernet cable.

This has worked three times in the last week as a result of power cuts and got the system up and running.  It shouldn't be necessary but there it is.

Message 13 of 15

Thanks for the suggestion AC641, I had already tried that, as well as going back to factory setting for the whole system.

My home is rigged with UPS protection so I could rule out power events as a factor.

Long story short, I returned the system to Costco and took another one. Went through the setup again and configured eveything as it was before (manual firmware update to the RBS50 then RBR50, input all values myself, not restoring settings from the previous install, using the web, not the mobile app). Ethernet backhaul is back up and running as it should, through the Gbit switch and all is right again with the world. I can only conclude that one of the devices was faulty.

The only thing I didn't try was setting up the second RBS50 which I probably should have done to further isolate the problem.

Case closed

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation