Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 config sync with Internet access

WireDawg
Aspirant

RBS50 config sync with Internet access

Two issues:  1 - satellite 2 stuck in config sync but it was providing verified Internet access to a device connected by Ethernet cable and also apparently wirelessly to two iOS devices.  2 - Another interesting item is the two wirelessly connected iOS devices showed on the Orbi App and also the router login web page as connected to the 5G guest network but my main network name was shown as their wireless network connection.  I did not and still don’t have my guest network enabled. 

Is this even possible or have I been hacked?

i tried without success to sync satellite 2. Finally synced it by using an Ethernet cable to the RBR50 router. Then returned it to it’s location and had good network for about 10 minutes, then problem returned. Router and satellites are firmware v2.3.1.60. Access control enabled.   Suggestions?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 config sync with Internet access

Do you administer the Orbi using the web interface or a smartphone app?

There have been several questions raised about Access Control and the smartphone app, e.g. Orbi is not doing what it is supposed to.

One quick check is to disable Access Control (turn it off), then reboot: router first, satellite 1, then satellite 2.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
WireDawg
Aspirant

I forgot to add that originally I had access control set to allow all new devices. After the issues described above, I changed access control to block all new devices. Now my iOS devices do not have Internet access via satellite 2 and show Internet access as blocked by access control. After de-powering (unplugged it) satellite 2 my iOS devices have Internet access via either the router or satellite 1. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you administer the Orbi using the web interface or a smartphone app?

There have been several questions raised about Access Control and the smartphone app, e.g. Orbi is not doing what it is supposed to.

One quick check is to disable Access Control (turn it off), then reboot: router first, satellite 1, then satellite 2.

Message 3 of 7
WireDawg
Aspirant

I administer with the web interface but observe frequently with iPad app - no actual changes are made to configuration with the app.

i was ready to attempt your suggestion and powered up the satellite (sat 2) for the first time today and voila, it almost immediately achieved a blue ring and the web app showed direct connection to the router, problem magically corrected itself. I hope it lasts. By the way, this is the first problem I’ve had with my Orbi system in over 17 months since purchase.  

Thanks for for the assistance!  Also, do you know to force the RBR50 router to only accept manual firmware updates? I can’t find that option anywhere in the web interface pages.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

My understanding that as of the current firmware, Orbi does like other Netgear routers:  when a firmware update is available, a notice pops up and the user can opt to update (or not).  This has the obvious "downside" that thousands of systems will not get security patches because the owners never look at them.  If my understanding is incorrect, someone will surely point out my error.

Message 5 of 7
WireDawg
Aspirant

The connection did not last but a minute. I’m trying your suggestion of rebooting the router, sat 1and sat 2 in order.  Sat 1 connected before I could reboot it, sat 2 connected with a poor status after I de-powered it, waited 30 seconds and then powered it on. That was the only way I found to reboot them as the web interface page does not have a reboot button for either satellite. 

Message 6 of 7
WireDawg
Aspirant

CrimpOn - your “quick check” suggestion in your first reply turned out to be the solution. Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7