Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 disconnecting (or crashing/rebooting) on large transfers

Mooose
Luminary

RBS50 disconnecting (or crashing/rebooting) on large transfers

(reposted with links redacted to see if that keeps the post from being deleted)

After my backhaul issues (forum link removed) were solved by a firmware update about a year ago my RBR50/RBS50 has been working fine, until a few weeks ago.

Recently I've had the satellite lose connection, crash or reboot (first notice lack of connectivity, then blue light comes on) several times during intense transfers, for example, streaming low-compression 4K from the Drobo to the Apple TV (Ethernet-wired the entire route) or transferring large files to the Drobo from a laptop over wifi.

It is of course possible that this happens even when transfers are not taking place, but I think I would have noticed the blue light if it would have happened frequently.

This is what my network looks like:
(forum link removed, pictures can be found on my profile page)

I have updated firmware after monitoring the forums for a few weeks after each release, but have not tried V2.5.1.8 yet (which now seems to have been pulled again anyhow) so both RBR50 and RBS50 are still on V2.3.5.30. I haven't changed anything in the configuration or firmware for months.

I can't find anything useful in the logs. Is there anywhere else I can check?

I really do not have time to go down any rabbit holes right now, or risk losing my network which is critical now while working from home, so I'm not going to do a factory reset or reconfigure anything without specific motivation for it. However, if this sounds familiar and there is a solution for this particular issue I would like to try it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you connect both laptops to the back of the RBR wired. 

What is Drobo? 

Last resort would be a factory reset or update FW to v16, factory reset and setup from scratch then test again. 

@Mooose wrote:

After my backhaul issues (forum link removed) were solved by a firmware update about a year ago my RBR50/RBS50 has been working fine, until a few weeks ago.

Recently I've had the satellite lose connection, crash or reboot (first notice lack of connectivity, then blue light comes on) several times during intense transfers, for example, streaming low-compression 4K from the Drobo to the Apple TV (Ethernet-wired the entire route) or transferring large files to the Drobo from a laptop over wifi.

It is of course possible that this happens even when transfers are not taking place, but I think I would have noticed the blue light if it would have happened frequently.

I have updated firmware after monitoring the forums for a few weeks after each release, but have not tried V2.5.1.8 yet (which now seems to have been pulled again anyhow) so both RBR50 and RBS50 are still on V2.3.5.30. I haven't changed anything in the configuration or firmware for months.

I can't find anything useful in the logs. Is there anywhere else I can check?

I really do not have time to go down any rabbit holes right now, or risk losing my network which is critical now while working from home, so I'm not going to do a factory reset or reconfigure anything without specific motivation for it. However, if this sounds familiar and there is a solution for this particular issue I would like to try it.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mooose wrote:

I include links in posts all the time by using the "Link" icon (between the smiley face and the Photos icon.  Took me forever to figure out that it is supposed to be a picture of "links in a piece of chain").

Clever idea to put pictures on the profile page.  I had not thought of that.

Both times the satellite reboots, the transmission is over the backhaul link, correct?

Message 3 of 4
Mooose
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

Both times the satellite reboots, the transmission is over the backhaul link, correct?

Correct, every time I've noticed the blue light on the satellite there have been large data transfers in progress over the backhaul.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you connect both laptops to the back of the RBR wired. 

I don't know, and I can't test it since it only happens sporadically. I really don't have time for an extensive test set up right now considering this is an annoyance rather than a showstopper. I was just curious if anyone had seen this previously and had found a solution.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is Drobo? 

Drobo is a NAS wired to the RBR through a switch.

How did you guys find this thread? I still can't see it in the list of topics. (And I can no longer edit it to remove the slashes in title.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7