Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 is loosing connectivity on certain protocols.

erz
Aspirant
Aspirant

RBS50 is loosing connectivity on certain protocols.

Hello community,

I was super satisfied of the orbi solution since February, quite no issue at all but for 2 or 3 days I'm getting the only strange issue I have quite everyday. 

RBR50 and RBS50 are 5GHz linked, quite always displayed as a good link.
On this RBS50 there is a machine connected with RJ45 to RBS50. 
This machine host various services for local home and outside (running the webserver and more). 

Everything was fine, and nothing has changed in terms of hardware on the machine, I've made the latest udpdates for Orbi. For some days, I'm realizing during the day I'm not able to access services as usual, i'm not able to ping the machine from another local machine. The first time I thought the machine was faulty. I've rebooted the machine and orbi and everything ran fine again. The next day (today), I got the same issue during the day, all services are down. But this time I investigate furthermore and I tried not to reboot the machine (because I got IPMI access this time) and only Orbi. Then, all services went back online like if the link between RBR50 and RBS50 has been restored.

I was thinking my machine was faulty but I can't find anything in logs, with today experience, I'm like and if it was Orbi (which would have been the last thing to come to my mind). 

Orbi is running is AP mode and the DHCP is hold by the ISP modem. 
IPMI and Services applicance are static ips into the dhcp server. 

Any thoughts about it or a way to try to understand what is happening ? 

Thank you 🙂 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 is loosing connectivity on certain protocols.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

I really don't know of anything on the Orbi router or satellites that could cause this, if you've made no changes. If the PC server issue is the only device having a problem, I'd be looking more at that. Depending on what OS the PC is running, it could be firewall settings on the PC. Temporarily turn off the firewall and see if it corrects the issue.

Message 3 of 8
erz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the configuration suggestion, i've just lost the entire message I wrote 😞 so sorry for being so quick to reply. But you pointed it my channel are autos and some configuration you suggest differ a bit from mine 20/40 by example. So i'll try your settings suggestion and keep posting if anything get better in the following days.

I don't think the machine iis the cause because every services are running fiine once orbi has reboot. Most are docker containers that never been faulty for years and the hypervisor seems fine for at least this time. 

Thank you again for the quick help and suggestion with really comprehensive answer. 

Message 4 of 8
erz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you @FURRYe38 , i've followed most of your recommendations and after quite a week I've never expericienced the "loosing connectivity" issue I've mentioned.

On the other hand, I gain more sensible wifi trafic with more packet loss. This certainly means the power/ranger is not ideal. RBS and RBR are 30 feet close but not really closer (I'm thinking of a backbone ethernet cable as i've some flooring job to do and adding some satellite upstairs). The appartment is quite 2500 sqft on 4 levels which is difficult to cover as the building is a L-shaped building. 

I'll certainly refine my settings but it appears having more satellite could solve that issue. I'm wondering also if it was possible to mix satelites like if I use an ehternet backhaul (like an RBS20 with a lan port at every level) for endpoint but keep the 1,7Gbps wifi backhaul between several RBS50 in the entire network (rbs20 only acting as ethernet endpoint). Or shoud I just pust 1 or 2 more RBS50 and thats is. 

By the way thank you for the help! KUDOS!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
Thw0rted
Aspirant

I'm new here but they definitely claim that all the various Orbis are compatible, except mixing WiFi5 with WiFi 6, which is not what you're talking about.  You are supposed to be able to use an RBS20 with your RBR50.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between the RBS20 and RBS50 is a) number of LAN ports, and b) dedicated antennas for the backhaul 5GHz band.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can mix RBS connections, wireless and wired. I would disable Diaisy Chain if you do this on the RBR. 

1733 is a good speed however at most times the RBS and RBR may not see this connection rate due to building materials and placement. With ethernet you can be sure you'll always see 1000Mpbs on the wire. 

@erz wrote:

Thank you @FURRYe38 , i've followed most of your recommendations and after quite a week I've never expericienced the "loosing connectivity" issue I've mentioned.

On the other hand, I gain more sensible wifi trafic with more packet loss. This certainly means the power/ranger is not ideal. RBS and RBR are 30 feet close but not really closer (I'm thinking of a backbone ethernet cable as i've some flooring job to do and adding some satellite upstairs). The appartment is quite 2500 sqft on 4 levels which is difficult to cover as the building is a L-shaped building. 

I'll certainly refine my settings but it appears having more satellite could solve that issue. I'm wondering also if it was possible to mix satelites like if I use an ehternet backhaul (like an RBS20 with a lan port at every level) for endpoint but keep the 1,7Gbps wifi backhaul between several RBS50 in the entire network (rbs20 only acting as ethernet endpoint). Or shoud I just pust 1 or 2 more RBS50 and thats is. 

By the way thank you for the help! KUDOS!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

@Thw0rted wrote:

I'm new here but they definitely claim that all the various Orbis are compatible, except mixing WiFi5 with WiFi 6, which is not what you're talking about.  You are supposed to be able to use an RBS20 with your RBR50.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between the RBS20 and RBS50 is a) number of LAN ports, and b) dedicated antennas for the backhaul 5GHz band.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7