Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 issues with Firware V2.7.3.22 - Firmware incorrect

kagler
Aspirant

RBS50 issues with Firware V2.7.3.22 - Firmware incorrect

I have had an RBR50 +1 RBS50 satelite that had been working nearly flawlessly for some time,,,,until Firware V2.7.2.104.  Devices being blocked from the internet when connected to the satelite, like everyone else.  I've been having to (at least) daily fix devices for people with the workarounds, but with 10 people in the house, and 2-4 devices per person, this has been a real headache.

I was delighted to see a new firmware V2.7.3.22, and tried to install.  It installed fine on my RBR50 with no issues, but when I open the zip for RBS50-V2.7.3.22.zip, I find RBR50-V2.7.3.22.img, and it will not update the RBS50 saying "Firmware version is incorrect".

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 66

Accepted Solutions
alstsmith
Apprentice

Message 5 of 66

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has been notified and will fixe hopefully soon. 

Message 2 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

@kagler wrote:

t when I open the zip for RBS50-V2.7.3.22.zip, I find RBR50-V2.7.3.22.img, and it will not update the RBS50 saying "Firmware version is incorrect".

Were it no so typical, this would be a comic "oops".  Seems like a pretty big jump in version numbers when the only fix is the DNS/Traffic Meter/Daylight Saving Time fiasco from last March.

Message 3 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

The beta we got was just a couple above v104. I see there is some security stuff too. Will have to see how it works though. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 66
alstsmith
Apprentice

Message 5 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

This file is broke still. Please wait on NG to fix this file before posting about it. 

Message 6 of 66
alstsmith
Apprentice

No. Its not. The RBS50 img is in there now. 

Message 7 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

The Release notes are:

image_2021-07-06_144812.png

Message 8 of 66
kagler
Aspirant

Hey @FURRYe38, the file now downloads as "RBS50-V2.7.3.22.img", but I am still holding out for final NG "Okey-Dokey".

Message 9 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

I just this minute downloaded the satellite zip again. There are two files, and the one that counts remains RBR50, not RBS50

(see attached image)

Message 10 of 66
kagler
Aspirant

The link posted by @alstsmith is giving the correct file now.  Satelite updates.

Message 11 of 66
alstsmith
Apprentice

You must be hitting a cached file via CDN or ISP. Might just need to wait until cache refreshes

Message 12 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

Once again, I get a zip file with two files inside it.

An *.img file that clearly begins with RBR and an HTML file that begins with RBS

It is the *.img file that gets uploaded to the Orbi.

Message 13 of 66
alstsmith
Apprentice

Message 14 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, NG Fixed the .zip file. The RBS50.img file is there now. 

Message 15 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

While that is interesting, how does it explain that I went to a different computer and opened support.netgear.com. Downloaded the satellite zip file and once again got a zip with two files in it, one *.img file that begins with RBR and one *.html file that begins with RBS ?

I then went to a third computer (a Linux machine), downloaded the zip file and got the same thing.

It would seem to be difficult for three different web browsers on three different computer to all some cache a file.

Message 16 of 66
alstsmith
Apprentice

In which case your ISP must have cached
Message 17 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

Not only my ISP, but TWO ISP's.  I disconnected phone from WiFi and used the LTE connection to download the satellite zip file.

Same two files (again).

Oh, well. Definitely going to wait several weeks to see how this improvement shakes out.

Message 18 of 66
svetaketu
Luminary

Having the same issue as @CrimpOn 

Message 19 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

I found the same when I was at work. When I got home, I found the RBS50 had updated and was correct. Be sure you clear caches and maybe check tomorrow. You might restart your ISP Modem and router as well. IT's there now. Honest. Smiley Wink I wouldn't have posted about it. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

Not only my ISP, but TWO ISP's.  I disconnected phone from WiFi and used the LTE connection to download the satellite zip file.

Same two files (again).

Oh, well. Definitely going to wait several weeks to see how this improvement shakes out.

Message 20 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

One hypothesis might be that Netgear has the support web site spread over more than one physical web server (redundancy, capacity, load sharing, etc.) and not all instances of the zip file can be changed at the same instant.

Message 21 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

That too. 

Notice the file size is half the size of the RBRs file size as well. 

Untitled.png

Message 22 of 66
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community, 

We appreciate all your feedback and effort on this matter. 

This has been brought up to the product team and awaiting for there update as to why others can and some cannot see the correct file. 

We'll keep you posted! 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 23 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I found the same when I was at work. When I got home, I found the RBS50 had updated and was correct. Be sure you clear caches and maybe check tomorrow. You might restart your ISP Modem and router as well. IT's there now. Honest. Smiley Wink I wouldn't have posted about it. 

You  are correct.  The same computer and same web browser that kept getting the wrong file now downloaded the correct file. No changes to cache, browser, cache, computer, ISP.

Now.... all we need are some brave volunteers to take the plunge and report.

Message 24 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll be posting my experiences soon. Smiley Wink Since I "live on the edge". Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7