Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 keeps disconnecting

Transcendence
Aspirant

RBS50 keeps disconnecting

Hi all, so I've been looking around the internet for solutions to this (seems like MANY people have this issue). I have my RBR50 set up next to my modem (Netgear CM600) and my RBS50 set up in my bedroom about 50(?) feet away. I maintain a wired connection to my laptop via ethernet to the RBS50. Ever since buying it (November 2018), I've been experiencing periodic disconnections once every few hours. 

Fixes that I've tried:

1. updating to the most recent firmware (via web interface),
  2. lowering the 2.4ghz and 5ghz power settings (via web interface), and
  3. changing the SIDs for both channels (via telnet, web interface)

as well as factory resetting and doing all three of the above. Since failing all of those methods, I've just shut off the RBS50 and have had no issues...can someone please help?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 keeps disconnecting

@Transcendence wrote:

I have my RBR50 set up next to my modem (Netgear CM600) and my RBS50 set up in my bedroom about 50(?) feet away. I maintain a wired connection to my laptop via ethernet to the RBS50. Ever since buying it (November 2018), I've been experiencing periodic disconnections once every few hours. 

Tinkering with the 2.4G/5G power levels, SSID's, etc. may not be addressing the problem.  The satellite and router communicate over a separate 5G link.  50 ft. may be a bit much, depending on how many walls, obstacles, etc. are between the router and satellite.  It may be useful to gather some information about the backhaul link.  Please telnet into the Orbi router and type this command:

satelliteinfo wifi

On my system, I get this:

{
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-67",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "702",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
}

What do you get?

@Transcendence wrote:

Since failing all of those methods, I've just shut off the RBS50 and have had no issues...can someone please help?

I am confused about this.  Without the satellite, the laptop connects to the Orbi router just fine and never loses connection?  Does it connect at 2.4G or 5G?  (The Attached Devices page will say.)

Message 2 of 4
Transcendence
Aspirant

This is what I get:

{
"mac address" : "78:D2:94:A0:5E:AA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "78:D2:94:A0:5E:AA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-75",
"backhaul macaddress" : "7E:D2:94:A0:5E:AD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "585",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "585",
"backhaul parentmac" : "00:00:00:00:00:00"
}

Also, what I mean is that if I disable the sattelite, my wifi never drops (though it is weaker).

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance mabye too far based on buiding materials. 

Can you do this as a quick test to see if the backhaul speeds get higher? Move the RBS to with in 10 feet of the RBR. Run the same test. Speed should be over 1300Mbps...

@Transcendence wrote:

Hi all, so I've been looking around the internet for solutions to this (seems like MANY people have this issue). I have my RBR50 set up next to my modem (Netgear CM600) and my RBS50 set up in my bedroom about 50(?) feet away. I maintain a wired connection to my laptop via ethernet to the RBS50. Ever since buying it (November 2018), I've been experiencing periodic disconnections once every few hours. 

Fixes that I've tried:

1. updating to the most recent firmware (via web interface),
  2. lowering the 2.4ghz and 5ghz power settings (via web interface), and
  3. changing the SIDs for both channels (via telnet, web interface)

as well as factory resetting and doing all three of the above. Since failing all of those methods, I've just shut off the RBS50 and have had no issues...can someone please help?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7