Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 no WiFi clients/connections

Jmthorp
Tutor

RBS50 no WiFi clients/connections

I have an RBR50, RBS50 and later added a RBW30. I’m not sure my RBS ever allowed wireless client access (thus why I bought the RBW30). Firmware V2.2.1.210 now. I have had continuous wireless connection drops only in the area closest to the RBS. All other areas are relatively normal.

The router status/admin page will never show anything connected to the RBS “wireless”. It will however report if clients are wirelessly connected to the router RBR50 or RBW30 correctly. There are a couple wired connections on the RBS50 and those report as expected. If I click on the RBS it will also say no connection 2.4ghz and no connection 5ghz, but shows backhaul as good. The wired devices connected to the RBS are accessible and usable on the network so there is a form of connection. I know there have been multiple issues with connection reporting defaulting to the router for reporting only during multiple firmware updates but read on please . . .

So I ran a detailed WiFi mapping of my site using NetSpot marking about 24 locations in my house. On the heat map it never see’s the RBS50 as an AP even while mapping a location within 2’ and another within 8’ of the satellite. In fact in locations one would expect it to grab the satellite as a wireless point, it locks on to the router or wall30 plug much further away. In my scan/map if standing next to the router or RBW30 the heat map goes red, but next to the RBS50 it does not register.

My RBS’s are 2-3 years old, so I realize there is no warranty, etc. I just hoping someone can help me trouble shoot and possibly correct the RBS so it works properly. I have some IOT devices in that area (Nest thermo and Nest protect, nest cam) that drop off the network too often. I have other thermostats, cams and another protect (all from nest) in other areas that are rock solid because they are connected “wireless” to the RBR50 or RBW30.

Other details:

- Power up/Power down using multiple techniques over time = results the same

- I have 34 connected devices only the wireless devices near the RBS are affected, so cable modem connected to COX is not the issue.

- ORBI RBR50 is the router as my cable modem has no wireless built-in

- Home is roughly 3,000 sq ft, 2 story

- I’ve scanned neighbors networks and channels and have adjusted to the most clear zone.

- RBS50 is about 30’ to 35’ from the RBR and has been moved multiple times to see if that is the problem.

- RBW30 is 50’ from RBR and has no issues.

- Building materials, obstructions, etc all considered. The RBS has the most clear path to the router (and backhaul works fine), the RBW30 is in a more challenging area and works fine.

Help please or suggest if you can. I just hate to scrap the investment I made in this system.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

I would try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and set up from scratch. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Jmthorp wrote:

So I ran a detailed WiFi mapping of my site using NetSpot marking about 24 locations in my house. On the heat map it never see’s the RBS50 as an AP even while mapping a location within 2’ and another within 8’ of the satellite. In fact in locations one would expect it to grab the satellite as a wireless point, it locks on to the router or wall30 plug much further away. In my scan/map if standing next to the router or RBW30 the heat map goes red, but next to the RBS50 it does not register.

When doing a wifi scan, do you see the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks from the router, RBS, and RBW? you should see 2 networks from the RBS (with the MAC addresses belonging to the RBS) one for the 5 GHz band and one for the 2.4 band. If you don't see those networks then there is something wrong with your antennas.

Please have a look at this post with information about the Orbi Radio: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Understanding-Orbi-Radio-Fronthaul-Backhaul/m-p/1671092

Message 3 of 9
Jmthorp
Tutor

Thank you for your input:

Modem is Arris Surfboard S6183.

It's been a while since I've done a factory reset but symptoms existed prior to my last reset. I'll resort to that at some point soon when I can alot the time for getting everything back online :(.

In the mean time it's easy to test the other settings. Thank you.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's been a while and you haven't done a reset, may be time for one. Other report having good operation after a reset and setup from scratch.

You should be able to get it running soon after. 

Let us know how it goes. 

@Jmthorp wrote:

Thank you for your input:

Modem is Arris Surfboard S6183.

It's been a while since I've done a factory reset but symptoms existed prior to my last reset. I'll resort to that at some point soon when I can alot the time for getting everything back online :(.

In the mean time it's easy to test the other settings. Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
Jmthorp
Tutor

Thanks for the reading link on radios. By tracking the MAC addresses using my scan the RBS50 is question appears invisible. It's not completely because I know the wired connections are working so let's say it appears wirelessly invisible to any client wanting to connect.

I'm attaching the map results and marking where each MAC is visible. NOTE I show the RSB50 location in relation to the map but it's MAC address never shows up even when I was standing right next to it and again less than 7 feet away.

Floor 1 MapFloor 1 MapFloor 2 MapFloor 2 Map

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Jmthorp wrote:

Thanks for the reading link on radios. By tracking the MAC addresses using my scan the RBS50 is question appears invisible. It's not completely because I know the wired connections are working so let's say it appears wirelessly invisible to any client wanting to connect.

I'm attaching the map results and marking where each MAC is visible. NOTE I show the RSB50 location in relation to the map but it's MAC address never shows up even when I was standing right next to it and again less than 7 feet away.

From this analysis I can assure that there is something wrong in the RBS50 radio:

- If it's a software fault, it should be fixed with a factory rest of this satellite

- If factory rest of the satellite does not fix this then it has to be something wrong in the radio unit in this satellite, it can be a loose connection to the side antennas responsible for the Fronthaul network or a bad hardware.

Message 7 of 9
Jmthorp
Tutor

I did a full factory reset on both the RBR50 and the RBS50. No luck, same status. I left the RBW30 off the network after reset and scanned placing the RBS50 in several locations. Each time the backhaul was fine, but never any visible radio for the fronthaul. I agree that it's likely bad hardware or loose wire(s).

Thanks to everyone who gave input and advice. The real bummer is a standalone RBS50 is pricey :(. Almost as much as buying a new google wifi set.

Message 8 of 9
Jmthorp
Tutor

I wanted to post an update, you never know who might be searching with a similar problem in the future. I decided to order and new RBS50 as my faulty unit was out of warranty. Once installed everything is working as expected. The old unit fronthaul hardware failed at some point.

I'm attaching a new scan (1st level only). In this scan you will only see the new RBS50 and the RBW30 AP's. The scan did not pickup the RBR router (even when I'm close). I believe the satellite is a little too close to the router. The satellite is positioned a floor higher and thus I think clients are giving it preference due to the open loft layout of that room. I'm not worried as the RBR router shows wireless clients attached in the GUI. I'll tweak router and satellite placement in the future but for now I'm just thrilled everthing is operating with low signal to noise and fast speeds.

Level 1 scan after RBS updateLevel 1 scan after RBS update

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7