Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 plug

NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

RBS50 plug

I have an RBR50 with 3 orbi satellites - one of which is now sensitive to any motion near the power plug in the back? Seems like it shorts right at where the DC plug adapter is.  Thing is barely a year old - and they want 49.99 to call them???  Am I missing something on the support site anywhere?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@NeedOrbiHelp wrote:

Thing is barely a year old - and they want 49.99 to call them???  Am I missing something on the support site anywhere?

Unless you purchased an extended warranty within 90 days of the initial purchase, the Orbi hardware warranty is 1 year.  If "barely" means 1 year and 1 day, you may be stuck.  I would be tempted to open the case and get out my soldering iron (but that's just me.  If it's "toast" anyway, what do I have to lose.)  Or, maybe pour some glue around the plug on the inside?

Message 2 of 7
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

Thanks. thats what I'm afraid of. Thats my backup plan if Netgear doesnt have better options!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try swapping power adapters from one of the RBS to see the problem remains? If so, then the RBR needs to be fixed or replaced. 

Hopefully NG support will get help for you soon. Don't waste time waiting. FIle a support ticket and have them check RMA options. 

@NeedOrbiHelp wrote:

Thanks. thats what I'm afraid of. Thats my backup plan if Netgear doesnt have better options!

Message 4 of 7
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

Tried power adapter from other satelite - same issue. Its the plug.

Unfortunately talking to support - zero options. "buy a new satlite" - I get that its past the warranty, but frustrating that there isnt even a repair option.

Anyone know how to crack these things open? under hte serial number sticker on the bottom theres a hole, but not clear if its just brute force pry open, or what to get these things. I dont see any screws.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe there snapped shut with the outter casing. Im sure brute force woud open the case however would probably break the snaps. YOu could if you wanted to, if the case is salvageable, you could just tape the case back to gether if you can get teh power plug re-soldered. 

Maybe a dremel tool to make small cuts...

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@NeedOrbiHelp wrote:

Anyone know how to crack these things open? under hte serial number sticker on the bottom theres a hole, but not clear if its just brute force pry open, or what to get these things. I dont see any screws.

The FCC filing shows the internals:

https://fccid.io/PY316200341/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-RBR50-RBS50-rev-3926901 

It looks like the rubber feet are glued on, and once they are removed, and the label cut across the seam, the case can be pried apart.  I see no obvious screw locations.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7