Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 satellite Connected Devices - Device names - Unknown in web browser

Fastrac
Aspirant

RBS50 satellite Connected Devices - Device names - Unknown in web browser

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem.

I've had an RBK50 system for several years which has updated the firmware successfully up to and including version 2.3.5.30.

After each update the satellite connected devices list correctly displays each device name when viewed in a web browser window.

Any version of firmware from 2.5.1.8 or newer the satellite connected devices list shows Unknown where the name should be

when viewed in a browser window. The currently installed version is 2.7.2.104 and the problem still persists.

I have factory reset the satellite 4 times, the router 3 times and after the last factory reset I did a full new setup configuration

manually (not by loading a backup configuration). The system has also been powered off for >1 minute several times.
After the last reset I changed the router to AP mode (as I have always use it), and entered all the device names again; these show

up correctly in the router list and in the satellite list in the app but not in the satellite list in any web browser window which still

shows Unknown. A partial screen shot from a web browser is attached to show the problem.

If I flash the firmware back to 2.3.5.30 the device names in the satellite work correctly again when in a web browser.

The router is a TalkTalk Sagem Fast Wifi 5364-3.T8 and some but not all devices have fixed IP addresses set by this router.

Does anyone know how to fix this so the satellite device names work in a browser window or is the only fix to flash back to 2.3.5.30?
I flashing back to the older version is the only way to fix it, how serious are any security issues?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
vajim
Master

I've seen the problem you describe for several weeks.  I tried rebooting and the problem remained.  

The list in the PC login was wrong for all of my devices were fine as well as my sats.

Last week without any further action by me, the list now appears to be correct.  I don't look at all that much but it certainly shows the sats connected.

My FW is about as old as your (6 months +) so I don't think it's related to FW.

Message 2 of 19
Fastrac
Aspirant

@Fastrac wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem.

I've had an RBK50 system for several years which has updated the firmware successfully up to and including version 2.3.5.30.

After each update the satellite connected devices list correctly displays each device name when viewed in a web browser window.

Any version of firmware from 2.5.1.8 or newer the satellite connected devices list shows Unknown where the name should be

when viewed in a browser window. The currently installed version is 2.7.2.104 and the problem still persists.

I have factory reset the satellite 4 times, the router 3 times and after the last factory reset I did a full new setup configuration

manually (not by loading a backup configuration). The system has also been powered off for >1 minute several times.
After the last reset I changed the router to AP mode (as I have always use it), and entered all the device names again; these show

up correctly in the router list and in the satellite list in the app but not in the satellite list in any web browser window which still

shows Unknown. A partial screen shot from a web browser is attached to show the problem.

If I flash the firmware back to 2.3.5.30 the device names in the satellite work correctly again when in a web browser.

The router is a TalkTalk Sagem Fast Wifi 5364-3.T8 and some but not all devices have fixed IP addresses set by this router.

Does anyone know how to fix this so the satellite device names work in a browser window or is the only fix to flash back to 2.3.5.30?
I flashing back to the older version is the only way to fix it, how serious are any security issues?

Thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions what else I can try to fix the issue of Device Names showing as Unknown in the satellite connected devices list ?

Is the only option to roll back the firmware to 2.3.5.30 which is the last version where the names were correctly displayed ?

If I have to roll back the firmware, how can I stop it updating to a later version ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 19
vajim
Master

@Fastrac wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions what else I can try to fix the issue of Device Names showing as Unknown in the satellite connected devices list ?

Is the only option to roll back the firmware to 2.3.5.30 which is the last version where the names were correctly displayed ?

If I have to roll back the firmware, how can I stop it updating to a later version ?

Thanks

Not sure of the cause for as I said I see the same thing,  Sometimes I check the device list and it's whacked up and other times its fine.  I try not to look at it anymore.

Netgear susposedly only pushes firmware updates that contain critical security feature.  I'm not even sure that is happening.  All other updates are caused by you clicking something.

Message 4 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fastrac wrote:

I observe the same thing:

• Attached Devices on the Orbi router correctly displays the name, model, "type", and cute picture.
  • Connected Devices (not "Attached") on the RBS50 and RBS40V display "unknown", with the exception of two entries on the RBS40V that do not match the router.

This definitely is related to firmware, since version 2.3.5.0 works correctly and more recent versions do not. The choice appears to be (a) stay on 2.3.5.0, or (b) stop looking at Connected Devices on the satellite.

The user has no mechanism to stop firmware from updating.

Have you actually experienced the Orbi updating firmware without any action on your part?

Message 5 of 19
Fastrac
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Going back quite a while I would get a notification of new firmware available when I logged into the Orbi and had to click on the notification to install it.

Recently I have seen some posts in other peoples threads about theirs being updated automatically overnight.

I don;t want to roll back to 2.3.5.30 and set everthing up again, then Negear automatically update it to a newer/problematic version 'overnight'.

Many things come and go on my Orbi and I like to keep track of whats connected to ensure only what should be on the system is connected.

Having working device names makes this much easier that looking at IP addresses. 

Message 6 of 19
vajim
Master

@Fastrac wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Going back quite a while I would get a notification of new firmware available when I logged into the Orbi and had to click on the notification to install it.

Recently I have seen some posts in other peoples threads about theirs being updated automatically overnight.

I don;t want to roll back to 2.3.5.30 and set everthing up again, then Negear automatically update it to a newer/problematic version 'overnight'.

Many things come and go on my Orbi and I like to keep track of whats connected to ensure only what should be on the system is connected.

Having working device names makes this much easier that looking at IP addresses. 

I read ..."had to click on the notification to install it."    Not auto push

I read..."Recently I have seen some posts in other peoples threads about theirs being updated automatically overnight......I've not see this in years....Not even sure NG does this anymore 

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? Sometimes it takes the system time to settle in and take account of the devices and populate them...

Message 8 of 19
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? Sometimes it takes the system time to settle in and take account of the devices and populate them...

does not work

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Worked for me. 

Message 10 of 19
Fastrac
Aspirant

Unfortunately multiple power off & on and factory resets of the Orbi has not fixed the problem since the last update about 4 weeks ago.

The main router has also been rebooted and the problem remains.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd go back to v30 if your needing Device names to work. I'd contact NG support and let them know what your seeing on your system with recent versions of FW. 

Message 12 of 19
vajim
Master

@Fastrac wrote:

Unfortunately multiple power off & on and factory resets of the Orbi has not fixed the problem since the last update about 4 weeks ago.

as i stated

it's amazing that the furry machine never has problems

Message 13 of 19
l8nc
Apprentice

@Fastrac wrote:

Have you checked to make sure either DST or traffic monitoring is disabled? Those settings persist after reboot.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 14 of 19
vajim
Master

Device names 
@l8nc wrote:

@Fastrac wrote:

Have you checked to make sure either DST or traffic monitoring is disabled? Those settings persist after reboot.

The issue with the device listing from where I sit has been able for several months.  Nothing to do with DST or Traffic Meter.

Message 15 of 19
Fastrac
Aspirant

I have just turned off DST and rebooted the Orbi's and still have the same problem - possibly it will sort itself out after a while but I'm doubtful it will.

I cannot find the traffic monitoring option unless it's in the Advanced - Advanced Setup - Traffic Meter section which is greyed out in the menu, maybe because I am using it in AP Mode.

At the moment reverting to 2.3.5.30 is looking really attractive as a known working solution.

I have seen other people posting about this problem and I'm surprised that Netgear have not resolved the problem as each update for me up to and including 2.3.5.30 worked correctly and every version since does not work.

Message 16 of 19
vajim
Master

@Fastrac wrote:

I have just turned off DST and rebooted the Orbi's and still have the same problem - possibly it will sort itself out after a while but I'm doubtful it will.

I cannot find the traffic monitoring option unless it's in the Advanced - Advanced Setup - Traffic Meter section which is greyed out in the menu, maybe because I am using it in AP Mode.

At the moment reverting to 2.3.5.30 is looking really attractive as a known working solution.

I have seen other people posting about this problem and I'm surprised that Netgear have not resolved the problem as each update for me up to and including 2.3.5.30 worked correctly and every version since does not work.

im running 2.5.2.4 and have the device list (pc login) screw up for months. 

I ignore it

Message 17 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that Netgear will devote zero effort toward the Connected Devices display on Orbi satellites being incorrect.

Efforts in Orbi management are clearly directed toward the Orbi "app" rather than the web interface.  I just now opened the app and sure enough the app clearly shows devices connected to both of my satellites are labelled correctly.  The app has no mechanism to connect to an individual Orbi satellite, so information stored on the satellite is of no use to the app.

On a negative note, it appears that recent updates to the Orbi app have now activated Parental Controls and there is no obvious way to turn it off.  Armor remains "not activated" (which is what I want).  So, it's off to the Orbi App forum to ask how to get rid of Parental Controls.

Message 18 of 19
l8nc
Apprentice

@Fastrac wrote:

That's the option - everyone seems to abbreviate it as TM; we sometimes refer to it as traffic meter, traffic monitor, traffic manager, etc - it's all the same option and the text on the interface is "Traffic Meter".

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7