Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 (satellite) apparent bad certificate (this site not secure on web search)

dbtrade
Aspirant

RBS50 (satellite) apparent bad certificate (this site not secure on web search)

I have an RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites.

One of the satellites shows bad certificate type errors when a device is connetected to it. The main router and the other satellite do not show these errors.

I have tried all the combos of reboot. I have also manually reloaded the firmware to that satellite.

I have not as yet tried to factory reset that satellite as I am unsure of the process to bring it back into my system.

Thanks for any advice you can share...

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 (satellite) apparent bad certificate (this site not secure on web search)

In August of 2019 the SSL certificates for several URL's that Netgear used for routers expired:

routerlogin.com

routerlogin.net

orbilogin.com

orbilogin.net

No one knows whether Netgear simply forgot to renew these certificates or whether the certificate authority refused to renew them because all of those thousands of routers were not actually "Netgear": they were thousands of customers.

So, Netgear created a "Self-signed" certificate which almost every modern browser warns is "not secure" (usually in BIG RED TYPE)

Since I know that this local IP address is in fact my router or satellite, I just select the browser option to "go to this site anyway" and the browser remembers this and quits complaining.

Message 2 of 4
dbtrade
Aspirant

Re: RBS50 (satellite) apparent bad certificate (this site not secure on web search)

I wasn't clear. It is any web destination. www.google.com for example

Message 3 of 4
dbtrade
Aspirant

I use an ACL list that prevents "new" devices from connecting. I switched that off, and then back on, and for now it seems to be working, at least for one device. The device I used for testing was in the accepted device list, so ...  <shrug>

All I know at this point, is the one device is now working from that Satellite, I will need to connect other devices later to see if I need to toggle that setting everytime, or....

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7