Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 satellite will not update V2.7.4.24

Boppy
Aspirant

RBS50 satellite will not update V2.7.4.24

I was able to manually update the RBR50 router but not the RBS50 satellite.  The message:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

Help!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 satellite will not update V2.7.4.24

The Attached Devices page shows the IP address of each satellite.

In the web browser, enter that URL (e.g. http://192.168.1.5)*. Enter the web password. Firmware Update is the bottom menu item.

* If I had 'planned ahead', I would have left IP's 2,3,4,5 for satellites, but I was so intent on installing the Orbi that I connected two PC's and a printer before activating the satellite, which then got IP #5.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This often happens when (a) trying to upload a router file to a satellite (they have distinctly different names for the *.img file), or (b) the file got corrupted during download and needs to be downloaded again.

I prefer to connect directly to the satellite web interface to do a firmware update.

Message 2 of 8
Boppy
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, but I did use the RBS50 img file and downloaded it twice in case it was corrupted.

I see a new post that says do RBS50 before RBR50.  I tried the automatic option three times and then tried the manual.  RBS50 failed but RBR50 worked.

Where do I go from here?  Do I need to do a factory reset?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

A factory reset on satellites is totally painless. (They have nothing to configure.)  Can't hurt.

It is not clear to me whether you are using the router's Firmware Update menu, Manual Update tab or are connecting directly to the satellite's web page.

Message 4 of 8
Boppy
Aspirant

When I first logged on, there was a note about new firmware.  I clicked that.  After a couple of tries with the automatic, I tried the manual option.  I have not tried the sat's web page.  How do I access that?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The Attached Devices page shows the IP address of each satellite.

In the web browser, enter that URL (e.g. http://192.168.1.5)*. Enter the web password. Firmware Update is the bottom menu item.

* If I had 'planned ahead', I would have left IP's 2,3,4,5 for satellites, but I was so intent on installing the Orbi that I connected two PC's and a printer before activating the satellite, which then got IP #5.

Message 6 of 8
Boppy
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!  I went to the sat page and it updated easily.

I also love my Orbis -- I have 3.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7