Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 shown under "Connected Devices", but not under "Connected Satellites"

m4f1j0z0
Aspirant

RBS50 shown under "Connected Devices", but not under "Connected Satellites"

I have Orbi RBK50 in AP Mode with ethernet backhaul. I ran through all possible suggestions from this forum on how to get the enternet backhaul working properly (posts like this one https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Steps-to-reproduce-the-Orbi-backhaul-issues/m-p/1516065#M24646).

The Satellite RBS50 is connected, and it works fine over ethernet backhaul, but under connected devices on the Orbi Admin Page it isn't shown as a satellite, but as just another connected device. Why is that? 

My setup is: ISP Modem (in bridge mode) -> Router Asus RT-AC68U (with Merlin) -> Orbi (RBR50 & RBS50 in AP mode). Cableing is fine, I have tested each ethernet connection separately.

As far as I can tell, speed and roaming performance are both fine (500 Mbit over WLAN), it's just pissing me off that the satellite isn't recognized as a satellite, and I dont understand why. Do you guys have an idea what's going on?

See the picture attached, the satellite has the IP 192.168.1.61.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 09.19.01.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
m4f1j0z0
Aspirant

OK, problem solved. I just remembered that someone suggested not to connect the RBR50 to the router through the WAN port.

I just moved the cable to ETH1 port, restarted the RBR50 and RBS50, and voilà, the RBS50 shows normally under connected satellites.

Really this Netgear software / firmware is ridiculous. I might switch to Linksys Velop just out of principle.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the satellite working ok?

Is the satellite directly connected to the base or thru a switch?

Message 2 of 5
m4f1j0z0
Aspirant

The satellite is working fine. It's connected to the ASUS Router, just like the RBR50.
Message 3 of 5
m4f1j0z0
Aspirant

OK, problem solved. I just remembered that someone suggested not to connect the RBR50 to the router through the WAN port.

I just moved the cable to ETH1 port, restarted the RBR50 and RBS50, and voilà, the RBS50 shows normally under connected satellites.

Really this Netgear software / firmware is ridiculous. I might switch to Linksys Velop just out of principle.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements