Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 - static device hardwired to a satellite is not showing up in attached devices.

RBS50 - static device hardwired to a satellite is not showing up in attached devices.

I've got an RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites.  I have a security camera with a static IP hardwired to one of the satellites.  The camera pings and is working fine, but it does not show up at all as an attached device when logged into the router as admin.  It's missing from "Attached Devices" in both Basic and Advanced views.  I've tried on a Windows 10 desktop, laptop, and the Orbi app for Android.  Current Orbi firmware is V2.5.1.8

Rebooting the camera, router and satellites doesn't help.  Anyone else experience this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: RBS50 - static device hardwired to a satellite is not showing up in attached devices.

Are you using a wired backhaul, or using the wireless backhaul?  I have one of my RBS50 satellites using a wired backhaul to the RBR50 router, and I have a wired PC attached to that satellite.  Perhaps the backhaul type may affect this?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 25

Thanks, Tom, for your reply.

I'm using the wireless backhaul.  Using a wired backhaul isn't an option unless you'd like to volunteer to come pull cable. Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Marty

Message 3 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@baldmagicguy wrote:

I've got an RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites.  I have a security camera with a static IP hardwired to one of the satellites.  The camera pings and is working fine, but it does not show up at all as an attached device when logged into the router as admin. 

Can you please clarify "static IP"?  i.e. is the camera (literally) set up with a static IP rather than DHCP, or does the camera have an IP assigned in the Advanced Tab, LAN Setup?

One thing that has frustrated me (in the past) was my Attached Devices display not showing my Nest thermostat.  What I discovered was that the Nest "doesn't talk".  i.e. if I don't have the Nest "app" open on a device, the Nest doesn't send or receive any data packets, and it never appears on the Attached Devices display.  When I open the Nest app, suddenly, there it is!

I'm not saying this is what is going on, but what happens if you open the Attached Devices display and then access the camera.  ping it.  connect to the camera video feed.  whatever?

Message 4 of 25

Hi CrimpOn,
Thanks for your reply.
All of my cameras are setup with static IPs on the cameras themselves. I don't assign them an IP within the router. No dhcp. This is the only camera that is hardwired. The others are using WiFi and are showing up fine.
I see where you're going so, for grins, I started a continuous ping on the hardwired camera and checked to see if it showed up.
Nope. Same thing. It's like the router doesn't know it's there. The camera works fine and this is more of an annoyance than anything. Still... It would be nice to see *all* devices on my network.
Message 5 of 25
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Since the camera is using a static IP, it never asks the router for a DHCP address.  The WiFi connected cameras do tracked since they connect to the WiFi and get authenticated.

I likewise have several IP cameras on my network.  I have them use DHCP, but I setup a DHCP Reserved Address for them on the Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup page.  That way my cameras would always be issued the same IP.  I used to have static IPs on the cameras with my prior router, and IIRC I saw the same issue you did until I changed my setup to use Reserved Addresses instead of static IPs. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

If you do use static IPs on your cameras, make sure that this IPs resides out side of your routers default IP address pool. They should not be with in the pool. You may have to set up a smaller default DHCP pool size to do this. I have 3 cameras using static IPs as weel. My DHCP IP address pool size is .100 to .200. The cameras are at .93 thru .95. I have room on either side of the pool for other static IP addressed devices. 

They show up on the RBRs web page, however RBS doesn't seem to show or if they do, they are labled as 'unknown' using a web browser on the RBSs web page. This seems to be a known issue here. 

@baldmagicguy wrote:
Hi CrimpOn,
Thanks for your reply.
All of my cameras are setup with static IPs on the cameras themselves. I don't assign them an IP within the router. No dhcp. This is the only camera that is hardwired. The others are using WiFi and are showing up fine.
I see where you're going so, for grins, I started a continuous ping on the hardwired camera and checked to see if it showed up.
Nope. Same thing. It's like the router doesn't know it's there. The camera works fine and this is more of an annoyance than anything. Still... It would be nice to see *all* devices on my network.

Message 7 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

oh....look what I found.....Current Orbi firmware is V2.5.1.8

Message 8 of 25

Hi Tom,

Thought I'd test your theory so I set the camera to dhcp and added it to the reserved list with the same IP.  I was dead in the water for awhile and had visions of climbing up in the garage to connect my laptop directly to the camera again to reconfigure it.  It was a royal pain in the butt getting it up there in the first place.

After the *second* reboot of the router, it finally dished out the correct IP to the camera and it started working.

That being said.... it is still not showing up in either attached devices list.  So.... it doesn't seem to matter if I have the camera set to static or not, so I changed it back to static.  For whatever reason, having a device hardwired to a satellite (at least on my system) doesn't report to the router. 

If I had some hair, I'd lose it.

Thanks for your reply and giving me something to try.  I've been an IT guy since 1985 and actually enjoy this.... even though it can be maddening at times.

Cheers,

Marty

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Then connect your cameras via DHCP and let them acquire an IP address to see if they appear in the list? 

Message 10 of 25

Ahhhhhhhhh..... I didn't even think about the dhcp pool.  Thanks @FURRYe38!

I'm about to start my shift, otherwise I'd try that now.  I will report back.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Marty

Message 11 of 25

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Then connect your cameras via DHCP and let them acquire an IP address to see if they appear in the list? 

Ummmmm.... no.  I don't want to go to all that trouble just for this little annoyance.  IMO.... you shouldn't have to do this if the router and firmware is worth its salt.  I'm starting to wonder now.

I did change my dhcp pool so that these cameras don't fall within its range.  No luck.  Still not showing up in active devices.

I'm not overly concerned with this issue.  Maybe, if Netgear is listening, they will fix this in a future firmware release.  I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your replies and your time.

Cheers,

Marty

Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@baldmagicguy wrote:

I have a security camera with a static IP hardwired to one of the satellites.  The camera pings and is working fine, but it does not show up at all as an attached device when logged into the router as admin.  It's missing from "Attached Devices" in both Basic and Advanced views.

These technical puzzles just cry out for a "reason why."  Does the satellite web page "Connected Devices" display show the camera?  (I just love that after three years, the router calls them "Attached" devices and the satellite "Connected" devices.)

Message 14 of 25

@CrimpOn wrote:

@baldmagicguy wrote:

I have a security camera with a static IP hardwired to one of the satellites.  The camera pings and is working fine, but it does not show up at all as an attached device when logged into the router as admin.  It's missing from "Attached Devices" in both Basic and Advanced views.

These technical puzzles just cry out for a "reason why."  Does the satellite web page "Connected Devices" display show the camera?  (I just love that after three years, the router calls them "Attached" devices and the satellite "Connected" devices.)

Ha!  I hear you.

When connected directly to the satellite, the camera does show up with a device name of "Unknown."

Message 15 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@baldmagicguy wrote:

When connected directly to the satellite, the camera does show up with a device name of "Unknown."

Yes, this is another one of those "Orbi Things" that people have been posting about.  For some unknown reason, the information we have so carefully entered into the router to describe devices do not propogate to satellites.  This is "normal".  Surely the device has data packets passing through the router?

Message 16 of 25

@CrimpOn wrote:

@baldmagicguy wrote:

Yes, this is another one of those "Orbi Things" that people have been posting about.  For some unknown reason, the information we have so carefully entered into the router to describe devices do not propogate to satellites.  This is "normal".  Surely the device has data packets passing through the router?

LOL!  Oh.... you could say there's one or two packets passing through the router.  I have an NVR hardwired to the router that records all my cameras.  There's a constant video stream running throught the router to the NVR.

Everything works perfectly except for the camera showing up in the attached device list.

Message 17 of 25
theoak
Luminary

I have a wifi garage door opener that behaves like this. See my config in my signature. It shows up in my personal router, from the Orbi app however (web or iOS) it would not show up. The door sends to notifications via its app when the door is opened or closed.  So it is clearly connecting to my wifi and the internet.  Its success rate on showing up in the Orbi iOS app I would say is around 50%; like you, it is more like an annoyance.  Today - Orbi sees it.

Message 18 of 25

@theoak wrote:

I have a wifi garage door opener that behaves like this. See my config in my signature. It shows up in my personal router, from the Orbi app however (web or iOS) it would not show up. The door sends to notifications via its app when the door is opened or closed.  So it is clearly connecting to my wifi and the internet.  Its success rate on showing up in the Orbi iOS app I would say is around 50%; like you, it is more like an annoyance.  Today - Orbi sees it.

So your issue is just with the app, correct?  I'm not seeing it at all with both the web interface and the app.  My success rate is 0%.

Why is it the simple things get to me?  LOL!  I may never know.

Message 19 of 25
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I had encoutered a similar issue, where the "Attached Devices" page was empty after FW upgrade.  I suspected that Orbi internal device database might have been corrupted as a result of FW upgrade.  After I did a hard reset, using paper clip to stick in the back of Orbi until it blinks amber, and reconfigured Orbi from scratch, devices started to show up as expected.

I don't recommend a hard reset unless you believe it's a must.  Good luck!

Message 20 of 25
theoak
Luminary

@baldmagicguy wrote:

@theoak wrote:

So your issue is just with the app, correct?  I'm not seeing it at all with both the web interface and the app.  My success rate is 0%.

No ... it was with both the web gui and the app.  Lately it has been showing up.  So maybe it sorted things out.

Message 21 of 25

@SW_ wrote:

I had encoutered a similar issue, where the "Attached Devices" page was empty after FW upgrade.  I suspected that Orbi internal device database might have been corrupted as a result of FW upgrade.  After I did a hard reset, using paper clip to stick in the back of Orbi until it blinks amber, and reconfigured Orbi from scratch, devices started to show up as expected.

I don't recommend a hard reset unless you believe it's a must.  Good luck!

Thanks.  This is just an annoyance.  Don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Message 22 of 25

@theoak wrote:

@baldmagicguy wrote:

@theoak wrote:

No ... it was with both the web gui and the app.  Lately it has been showing up.  So maybe it sorted things out.

Hope so.  But the real question is.... Is your garage door open or closed?  LOL!

Message 23 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@baldmagicguy wrote:

some in here live in the rabbit hole

Message 24 of 25

@Retired_Member wrote:

@baldmagicguy wrote:

some in here live in the rabbit hole

Me_Backstage.jpg

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7