Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 vs RBK50

gdavis
Tutor

RBS50 vs RBK50

For a second satellite should I use RBK50 or RBS50? What is the difference?

I have a 3000sqft house and a 2xRBK50 system with wired backhaul that is unable to cover the house. I wish to add a second satellite and am confused by the RBK50 vs RBS50 designations with little difference in specs. I expect to set up the second satellite also with a wired backhaul.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 vs RBK50

"R" means "router".  "S" means "Satellite".  If you want to add another satellite, it MUST be the RBS50 ("S" for "Satellite").

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

I use 1 base router at one end of my home or wireless.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

@gdavis wrote:

For a second satellite should I use RBK50 or RBS50? What is the difference?

I have a 3000sqft house and a 2xRBK50 system with wired backhaul that is unable to cover the house. I wish to add a second satellite and am confused by the RBK50 vs RBS50 designations with little difference in specs. I expect to set up the second satellite also with a wired backhaul.

Message 3 of 10
gdavis
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38,

Should the distance matter for a wired backhaul? It is about 40feet. Each device is an RBK50. The distance from my iPhone to satellite is about 25ft but the materials could impact the transmission.

Channels are on auto... looks like I am operating on channel 9.  I'll give manual a shot on channel 1 which seems to be open. There look to be two other neighbors and three devices (HP-Printer and Button) and two un-identified.

My switch is Netgear JGS524 v2 (ProSafe 24 Port Gigabit)

Thanks for taking an interest!

Message 4 of 10
gdavis
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

"R" means "router".  "S" means "Satellite".  If you want to add another satellite, it MUST be the RBS50 ("S" for "Satellite").

Thanks CrimpOn,

That makes sense. The fact that Netgear sells RBK50's in a package of two with one that can be a satellite was confusing. One would assume you just get another of the same.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, distance is still a factor. 40 feet your fine. 

Main channels to use are 1, 6 and 11...

Just checking switch. Orbi doesn't like managed switches with IGMP protocols...

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, I typed before thinking.  The ORBI RBK50 kit includes one RBR50 (router) and one RBS50 (satellite).  R for router. S for satellite.  The design is for one router and one OR MORE satellites.  Never two routers. If you want to keep your existing router, but want additional WiFi coverage, you need to purchase another satellite.  AND.... you need to be aware of the complications inherent in your design.  i.e. having one router connected to another router is redundant and often leads to unwanted behavior.  If each router is attempting to assign DHCP addresses, for example, they have to be in different IP ranges.  Most users who want to keep their existing router do two things: (1) they turn off the WiFi in their existing router. (2) they put the ORBI in access point mode.  Their existing router does all the DHCP assignments and the ORBI handles all the WiFi.

If you read the forum, there seem to be a lot of people who sincerely believe that the ORBI does not function well as a router and the ONLY way to get things to work is to use it as an AP.  Others, such as myself, use it as their only router and have no problems.

Sorry if I wandered off topic.  I fixated on your specific question (RBR vs. RBS).  I have only one satellite and have nothing to offer about having more than one.

Message 7 of 10
gdavis
Tutor

Thanks @CrimpOn,

I had no idea! I do indeed have an RBR50 and RBS50 and must not have noted the difference at the time due to the hassle of setting up the wired backhaul (Current firmware seems to handle it ok).

I probably could have kept my previous router and turned off the wifi. My modem, switch and panel is in the basement. So for my setup I have Cat6 from the modem in the basement to the RBR upstairs  on the mainfloor then Cat6 back down to the basement to the switch and then back up via cat6 to the RBS on the top floor.

My intention is to put another cat6 connected RBS on the top floor as there must be some combination of pipes and chimney that is blocking the signal between rooms.

I really appreciated the help from you and @FURRYe38

Message 8 of 10
gdavis
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38,

Multicast was a feature I didn't know that I had nor that I use. I wonder if that is why my Sonos periodically disconnects and reconnects. (It is rather annoying when listening to a radio station, I get a repeat of the introductory message.) The Sonos is also wired via the switch to the RBR50.

Per your prior suggestion, on first look the channel 1 connection looks to be about the same signal strength. I will have to use it a bit more to see if it wavers.

Thanks much

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, distance is still a factor. 40 feet your fine. 

Main channels to use are 1, 6 and 11...

Just checking switch. Orbi doesn't like managed switches with IGMP protocols...

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements