Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 weak signal

jerryschwartz
Apprentice

RBS50 weak signal

I was using Netgear's handy little WiFi Analytics Android tool to map out the signal strength in various parts of my house, and I found that the signal strength in my bedroom is only 86%. What makes that odd is that I was sitting next to the satellite. The satellite was connected to the mesh, so the signal strength should have been 100%.

Does this mean that my phone was stuck to a connection to one of the other satellites (or the router)? Is there some threshold that triggers the device to be handed off to another unit?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
martyfp
Luminary

It is possible that the phone is connected to the Router instead of the Satellite.  (Perhaps they are a little too close together?)...    I also think that when you get very close to either the satellite or router then the signal strength does drop due to near field effects, this is normal.

If you're using the latest firmware (2.0.0.74) then you can tell which devices are connected to the router or satellite in the "Attached Devices page"

If you turn off wifi on the phone then re-enable then it should connect to the stronger signal.

There is a new option in the Advanced wireless settings that enable "Fast Roaming", that should encourage your phone to switch between router and satellite more aggressively.

Message 2 of 6
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

I do have fast roaming enabled. I will test this again, being careful to turn WiFi off and on. My phone may well be latched onto another satellite or the router. That's why I was wondering what the threshold might be for triggering a handoff.

Message 3 of 6
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

My phone seems to prefer a 5MHz connection even if there's a stronger 2.4Mhz signal available. I can tell that, because my phone can tell me the MAC address it's attached to. My sleuthing hits a bump there, because l can't find the MAC addresses for the router or satellites' 5Mhz band shown anywhere. I'll have to start disconnecting pieces of the gear one by one.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 6
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orbi prefer the 5GHz channel by design.  It's typically has the least congestion and is faster.  If you have MR 2.0+ (and if you don't, you should upgrade), then you can see the Orbi Mac address on the Attached Devices page.  

Orbi Product Team

Message 5 of 6
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

Okay, I understand.

I do have the latest firmware, V2.0.0.74, but the interface only shows one MAC address for each piece of equipment. According to my network tools, the 2.4Mhz and 5Mhz have two different MAC addresses. I have one router and two satellites, and my tools see six MAC addresses. The routers user interface shows three. The user interface on the satellites doesn't show any.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7