Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 wifi problem

gman737
Aspirant

RBS50 wifi problem

Model: RBR50, RBS50, RBW30

Firmware: 2.5.0.38

I'm having trouble with the wifi on just the RBS50 satellite. Often when my phone or ipad is connected to this satellite, it shows full strength and connected, but there is no internet and the Orbi app doesn't show a connection. If I reset the wifi on my phone/ipad and move closer to either the RBR50 or RBW30 to force it to connect to one of those, it works fine. The wired connections on the RBS50 also work fine. I tried rebooting everything, and did a factory reset, but no help. It seems like a hardware problem on the satellite, but when I tried to get warranty service, Netgear gave me the runaround and either tried to charge me a bunch for tech support or said the equipment is working properly.

My next idea is to buy a used RBS50 on ebay, but before I spend more money, I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas. Also, if I could just disable wifi on the RBS50 (which doesn't seem possible), the other units provide enough coverage for the house, but I really need the wired part of the RBS50.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
gman737
Aspirant

Re: RBS50 wifi problem

I might have solved the mystery, time will tell. I had malfunctioning wifi-to-ethernet bridge that wanted to act as a DNS server for the network. I replaced the adapter and devices are connecting to the RBS50 normally now. Thanks for all the help and advice.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not have a solution, but my guess is that everyone will suggest to upgrade the firmware to 2.5.1.8.  The firmware 2.3.0.38 had problems and was taken back by Netgear.  That would be the first thing I try.  (Upgrade the whole system, satellites first.)

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try updating to v2.5.1.8...

Message 3 of 10
gman737
Aspirant

Ok thanks for the tips. I will try updating firmware first.

Here is some of the requested info:

ISP Modem: Comcast Xfinity Motorola SB6121. I get 80-90Mbps normally.

Home: ~3000 sq ft, 3 story

RBR & RBS are on the same floor about 25-30ft apart. Again, the wired connections on the RBS work flawlessly at full speed. The RBW30 is on another floor at the other end of the house and it works fine too.

I ran a network analysis to find the best channel for 2.4ghz. Channel 11 seems the least congested (pretty busy neighborhood).

For 5ghz, I was on channel 40. It looked like everyone else was on the same so I changed to 48. But my wifi analyzer shows it stuck on channel 42 which isn't an option so not sure what's going on there.

The more advanced options I will try if the firmware doesn't work. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the system with out the RBWs. 

Try the FW update as well. 

Message 5 of 10
gman737
Aspirant

Firmware update did not help. Rebooted all Orbi's after the update (but no factory reset). My phone shows connected to the RBS50's IP address, full signal strength, but no internet and running the Orbi app fails to connect to anything. I can connect to the RBS50 using my computer (which is hardwired to RBR50, so backhaul is working), it shows only hardwired connections, no wifi connections-including my phone even though my phone shows connected.

I bought the RBW to "fix" the problem by putting it in the room that my phone and ipad were normally in, as an attempt to have them connect to that instead of the RBS. Usually works.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and use a wired PC to walk thru the setup wizard. Skip adding the RBS. Just get the RBR setup. Be sure to power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON. Complete the setp wizard.

IF this also fails, Please get in conntact with NG support. System needs to be RMAd. 

Message 7 of 10
gman737
Aspirant

I might have solved the mystery, time will tell. I had malfunctioning wifi-to-ethernet bridge that wanted to act as a DNS server for the network. I replaced the adapter and devices are connecting to the RBS50 normally now. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, glad you found something. Hope it keeps working well. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@gman737 wrote:

I missed the part in Message 3 of 9 that mentioned the 'adapter'.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7