Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 will not reset

b-evilsizor
Aspirant

RBS50 will not reset

Purchased a RBR50 with RBS50 satellite package and initially loved it and raved about it! Unfortunately that is no longer the case. The main router still works fairly decent but no longer have the coverage I did before as the satellite quit working. I've attempted to hard reset with no avail. Orbi app doesn't show it connected, Fing doesn't show it connected, used to use a wired backhaul connection but thought it could possibly be the issue. After using the same connection for other devices, can certainly say it is not the issue. Nothing but a solid green power light even while holding in the reset button. To make matters worse, I work for an ISP and have recommended this product to so many of my customers who would clearly benefit from a mesh system. These customers trusted me in my expertise but now all I can tell them is to do their research or tell them how other customers have had success with Eero or other mesh setups. Please help! Such an ugly paperweight! 

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 will not reset

Sp pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release, does the top ring LED start to blink WHITE then pulsate WHITE? 

Message 2 of 10
b-evilsizor
Aspirant

Top led doesn't even light up
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different power adapter, one from the RBR if you can test that quickly or from anther RBS if you have one. If this doesn't work, then I would presume the RBS is bad and needs to be replace. 

Message 4 of 10
b-evilsizor
Aspirant

Slightly embarrassed i didn't think to swap power supplies prior, but unfortunately still all the same symptoms on the remote satellite
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 10
b-evilsizor
Aspirant

Ugh.. not the response I was hoping for.. any recommendations on a new and comparable setup that might last beyond this paperweight?
Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The power LED remaining green indicates "power is OK" to me. i.e. not the power supply.

There are two other things to try:

1. Do a "30-30-30" reset.
    Hold the end of a paperclip in the tiny reset hole for 30 seconds.
    While continuing to hold the paperclip, use the power button to turn the power off.
    While continuing to hold the paperclip, use the power button to turn the power back on.
    Hold the paperclip for 30 more seconds.
    Sometimes "30-30-30" will cause the unit to Factory Reset.
  2. Use TFTP to reload the firmware on the satellite:
    https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 
    https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

If the unit is less than 90 days old, Netgear provides "complimentary support" (ha, you PAID for it) and should authorize a replacement.

The hardware warranty is 1 year.  Since Netgear provides no method to file a warranty claim after 90 days, what some people have done is contact a forum moderator and plead their case for a replacement.

If it is more than 1 year old.... (oh, well  As a paperweight, it is pretty large, but not exactly UGLY)

Message 8 of 10
b-evilsizor
Aspirant

Finally got around to trying this, still no luck unfortunately.. looks like a paperweight it is!  Any recommendations for a new affordable mesh setup that might actually withstand the test of time?  I know this is a Netgear forum, but certainly not the only one having this issue so looking for anything but Netgear recommendations please.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So the TFTP method didn't work at all? Are sure you were able to get the TFTP going on the RBS? 

"Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

@b-evilsizor wrote:

Finally got around to trying this, still no luck unfortunately.. looks like a paperweight it is!  Any recommendations for a new affordable mesh setup that might actually withstand the test of time?  I know this is a Netgear forum, but certainly not the only one having this issue so looking for anything but Netgear recommendations please.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7