Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 wired backhaul stopped working

saurin13
Tutor

RBS50 wired backhaul stopped working

I have two satellite RBR50s and both are connected to a wired backhaul. Both were working until recently (both are on the most recent firmware (V2.3.5.30).  

Now one of them will only connect to the main router through wireless. The other one still works over wired backhaul.  When I switch them (to see if its the wired connection), it makes no difference.  The one that will no longer connect to wired backhaul continues to connect that way. 

I've tried rebooting all the routers to no avail.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
saurin13
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response! It is connected directly to a MOCA extender.

I did get it to work eventually. I turned it off, unplugged all Ethernet wires, turned it back on. After it connected to the Wi-Fi backhual after about 15 min, I connected the wired backhaul wire. It worked then.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR or connected thru a ethernet switch? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Is Daisy Chain disabled? DC needs to be disabled if RBS are connected via ethernet. 

Have you tried a factory reset on the RBS. Power them OFF. Connect one with ethernet lan cable. Power one RBS ON. Wait for the pulsating top WHITE led. Then press the Sync button on the RBS and RBR. Try this while in the same room as the RBR with a patch cable. 

CAT6 patch cables recommended. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since upgrading to v30? 

Message 2 of 9
saurin13
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response! It is connected directly to a MOCA extender.

I did get it to work eventually. I turned it off, unplugged all Ethernet wires, turned it back on. After it connected to the Wi-Fi backhual after about 15 min, I connected the wired backhaul wire. It worked then.
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain disabled? DC needs to be disabled if RBS are connected via ethernet. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 9
naseerkhan
Guide

Since when is it required to turn off Daisy Chain to use Wired Backhaul?  Just before this last (v30) update, I had 2 out 3 satellites on Wired (one RBS50 and one RBS40V) and the third RBS50 used to chain off the RBS40V.  I planned to connect the third via ethernet also.  After this update, the one wired satellite started having fits and would throw the router into a tailspin.  Tried the re-sync but not the full procedure to reset yet.  But neither RBS50 will connect via wired anymore about the update.  But they are chaining off the RBS40V which is doing just fine with wired connection even after it's own update.

So if I turn Daisy Chain off, does that kill my one method of feeding the farther away satellites?  Then I really do have to get the wired backhaul working again on these RBS50's.  So frustrating to do all this maintenance after firmware updates... almost as bad as dreading a Windows 10 update...!!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 9
interestedperso
Aspirant

Can someone confirm you have to manually turn of daisy chaining if you connect satellites directly to the network via ethernet cable, this does not seem right, surely it should automatically ignore the setting if ethernet connection is seen ?.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

When the RBS is connected va ethernet, then the RBS doesn't use it's wireless backhaul. That goes thru the cable wire. When the RBS is wireless and Daisy Chained, then the back wireless backhaul is used to conect to the other RBS in the chain. 

Message 7 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@interestedperso wrote:
Can someone confirm you have to manually turn of daisy chaining if you connect satellites directly to the network via ethernet cable, this does not seem right, surely it should automatically ignore the setting if ethernet connection is seen ?.

You don't need to disable Daisy Chain if you still have Satelite (s) with wireless backhaul and you want this/those Satellites to be connected in daisy chain with other satellites.

Message 8 of 9
interestedperso
Aspirant

Hello.

Today i used the info in this link to check mtu, it was correct using this guide:

https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

I then turned of bsckhaul as i have only one satellite and its wired to a switch. After it restarted i got my 520mb wireless, yippee. So certainly needs turning of if not used which in theory it should not as if its connected via ethernet it should not even be getting used and should be handled by the routers software, a firmware upgrade needed i beleive plus lets have the wireless bands used for it turned on for use by the clients, why waste them ?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7