Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y - Outdoor Mode vs Indoor Mode

Winco
Tutor

RBS50Y - Outdoor Mode vs Indoor Mode

Has anyone had experience and played around yet with these two settings to see if they get better speeds and connectivity with either one on/off? This setting option is accessable via the Orbi mobile app > network map > controls > Indoor mode on/off

Cheers - Winco

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably doesn't have anything to do with performances, rather how the RBSY works in regards to operating in indoor or outside conditions. 

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Interesting that the User Manual does not mention this setting:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf

The product exists to be mounted "outdoors".  Hard to imagine what this option could be about.  Is it present in the web interface as well as the Orbi mobile app?

Message 3 of 17
Winco
Tutor

Yes. It is present in the web interface.

Basic > Attached Devices > Click on The Device Name > Location > Outdoor or Indoor

I'm not surprised the User Manual doesn't mention it. There is a lot Netgear doesn't mention about their products - hence the need for this online community.

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

(I do not have one of these units)  Under Attached Devices->Device Name, is this a binary choice (indoor/outdoor) or is it a field that could be entered by the user?    (for example, you could type in "Patio", "Barn", "Gazebo", or whatever)  My experience with the "Attached Devices" page is a lot of the fields are descriptive that may be of value to the viewer, but have no obvious impact on how the Orbi performs.  The "orbi_dev_name" and "orbi_dev_name_ntgr" are fields that get shown on the web page, but as far as I can see they have no bearing on performance.  i.e. I can change any of them to whatever I want and the Orbi still "does what it does". The only thing that seems to change is what appears on the Attached Devices page.

Maybe you could set it to "Indoor" for a day and "Outdoor" for a day and see if you notice any difference?

Message 5 of 17
Winco
Tutor

It is a 'radio button'. You have to choose either one or the other. It is different to the editable name field which you can rename the device e.g. "Patio", "Barn", "Gazebo", or whatever.

I have configured mine to outdoor, as it is, well, outdoors!

Message 6 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Where

I agree with you.  This Forum is the only place where someone might offer insight into this bizzare option.  Is there any way you could produce a screen shot of how this is displayed on the web interface?  For example, my (only) satellite shows up like this:

DeviceName.JPG

Where I got to type in "Netgear Orbi RBS50" and "Satellite Living Room".  What does yours show?

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

One experiment that might be fun to try:

On the Orbi debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) check the box for "telnet".  Telnet into Orbi (using whatever telnet client you have. I use Putty and have it set to record the entire session.)  Set up to capture the output, and type the command:

nvram show

This will capture A LOT of the variables that affect how Orbi works.  Search those results for "Outdoor" and see what the variable name is.

(Community member ekhalil has an impressive knowledge of Orbi telnet commands and provided this tip.)

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe a forum moderator can post about this feature:

@Blanca_O 

@ChristineT 

@Winco wrote:

Yes. It is present in the web interface.

Basic > Attached Devices > Click on The Device Name > Location > Outdoor or Indoor

I'm not surprised the User Manual doesn't mention it. There is a lot Netgear doesn't mention about their products - hence the need for this online community.

Message 9 of 17
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Winco

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

- How did you setup the RBS50Y? Is it Orbi Mode or Orbi Extender Mode? 

- What is the firmware version? 

- Is it synced to an Orbi router or Non-Orbi router? 

I setup a RBS50Y (Orbi mode) in our laboratory and was not able to see the options (Indoor or Outdoor mode). The options that are available:

(Web UI) Basic > Attached Devices > Click Device Name

- IP address , MAC Address, Device Model, Device name

- LED On/Off

- LED Lightning Brightness

- Schedule LED Lightning

- Sync (Disabled / Enabled) 

Using Orbi App: 

- LED On/Off

- Schedule LED Lightning

Please describe your setup for us to check further. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 17
Winco
Tutor

Hello Bianca,

Answers to your questions in order:

1. Orbi Mode

2. Latest versions V2.2.1.210 and V2.2.1.204

3. Orbi Router + Orbi Satellite + Orbi Outdoor Extender as a Satellite

4. See attached screenshot of the web interface. 

Message 11 of 17
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Winco

Thank you for responding. Let me check this again. I'll get back to you. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 17
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Was their a resolution to this question regarding the outdoor satellite RBS50Y?
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 17
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any word on if this was solved or not? I have the RBS50Y as well & I’d like to know the outcome of this issue. Thanks, j1n
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 15 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@j1n wrote:
Any word on if this was solved or not?

This is not an issue - much more it's a question about a configuration option, probably introduced after the User Manual was composed, probably as a part of the certification e.g. for Canada or Europe, where certain 5 GHz channel ranges are not allowed for outdoor usage. Amazing Netgear was uanable to answer this 8-/

Message 16 of 17
mgil1
Star

Having now configured two Orbi RBR50 systems - one with 5 satellites (RBS50) and the latest with 6 (5 RBS50 + 1 RBS50Y Outdoor satellite).  

Regarding the RBS50Y Satellite - I think various strands of this post are correct - its a regulatory issue that limits the external band to 2.4GhZ - when set to outdoor mode it will operate as dual band using 5GHz to connect to the RBR50 Router and project 2.4GHz.  

I've noticed this actually gives better performance for my configuration as the 5th Satellite is in a Cottage 30 m from the Outdoor Satellite - If the RBS50Y is set in tri-band (Indoor Mode) the cottage satellite locks onto the 5GHz channel and signal reception is poor according to the app -when the RBS50Y is set to out door mode (dual channel) then the cottage picks up the 2.4GHz channel which gives a stronger signal in the app - nor surprising given 2.4GHz will project further than 5GHz.

So In Summary - the option is purely driven by the regulatory requirements - But if you want to use the Satellite as a booster to another satellite opt for outdoor mode (dual band).

Hope this helps

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7