Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y Outdoor Orbi flashing amber for 30 seconds

Furoco
Tutor

RBS50Y Outdoor Orbi flashing amber for 30 seconds

I have an outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y) which provides access to my wireless security cameras.

Recently the cold weather has arrived and the bottom light has started flashing amber. I have updated the firmware to the latest available and power cycled the unit. The light continues to flash for 30 seconds, then go out for a couple of minutes then repeat.

It is operating absolutely fine (I can access the cameras live with no issue) and the Orbi app reports a good signal strength.

I note that others report that in the the cold weather it can be 'warming up' with a flashing amber light for 15 minutes in extreme cold, but it is no lower than -2 'C outside (so not as  extreme as the specificed -20 'C operating temperature) and does not stop this cycle of flashing.

Can anyone advise?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Furoco

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

The satellite is warming up because its temperature is less than 41°F (5°C). This might take about 15 minutes if the surrounding temperature is less than 4°F (–20°C)

Reference: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf [page 8]

Would turning off and on the Orbi Satellite make any changes? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Furoco
Tutor

Hello Bianca,

Thanks for trying to help, but I am assuming you are a bot, as you seem to have not read my post 😞

As I stated, 

I note that others report that in the the cold weather it can be 'warming up' with a flashing amber light for 15 minutes in extreme cold, but it is no lower than -2 'C outside (so not as  extreme as the specificed -20 'C operating temperature) and does not stop this cycle of flashing.

Hence the 'warming up' diagnosis does not fit with what I described above (it is nowhere near -20 'C and 'does not stop this cycle of flashing', meaning it is has not stopped flashing, even after several days, let alone 15 minutes.

Thanks anyway

Furoco

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Furoco wrote:
I have an outdoor Orbi (RBS50Y) which provides access to my wireless security cameras.

Recently the cold weather has arrived and the bottom light has started flashing amber. I have updated the firmware to the latest available and power cycled the unit. The light continues to flash for 30 seconds, then go out for a couple of minutes then repeat.

It is operating absolutely fine (I can access the cameras live with no issue) and the Orbi app reports a good signal strength.

The statement referenced reads: "The satelliteis warming up because its temperature is less than 41°F (5°C). This might take about 15 minutes if the surrounding temperature is less than 4°F (–20°C)"

I read this to say when the temperature is less than 41°F but higher than 41°F, then the satellite will take less than 15 minutes to warm up. (Perhaps 30 seconds?)

What is the ambient temperature?  (i.e. is it less than 41°F (5°C)

@Blanca_O

@Furoco
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7