Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite - Housing Paintable?

Grayson781
Follower

RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite - Housing Paintable?

Does anyone know if the exterior housing of the Outdoor Satelite RBS50Y is paintable?  Trying to make it blend in with the color of my house siding but do not want to effect performance.  

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not recommended to paint the case. Could interfere with the signal. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please point me to the reference?  (I keep of list of handy URL's and this question is bound to come up again.)

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Grayson781 wrote:

Does anyone know if the exterior housing of the Outdoor Satelite RBS50Y is paintable?  Trying to make it blend in with the color of my house siding but do not want to effect performance.  

I don't know the answer, but I have some thoughts:

• WiFi seems to penetrate a lot of paint in my house.  Both sides of every wall are painted (several coats), and WiFi penetrates through at least two walls, which means four sheets of gypsum board and four layers of paint.  Three walls would be six of each.
  • If you are up for an experiment, how about purchasing a piece of clear plexiglass or acryllic.
    Bend it to fit around the RBS50Y.
    Paint with whatever you are thinking will adhere to the RBS50Y (probably spray enamel or acryllic (latex?))
    Attach to the wall covering the RBS50Y.
    Measure the signal level at various places before and after attaching the plastic.
    If the signal level is essentially unchanged, I'd be more willing to paint the actual case.
    If the signal is measurably lower, I'd think, "better not."

Message 4 of 6
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have not seen an RBS50Y satellite.  If it has any ventilation holes, do not block them with paint or it could cause it to overheat.  I have seen others report having water get inside of theirs, possibly due to a crack in the case or vent holes in the top or sides. I would think that any ventilation would have to be on the bottom side to be weatherproof for outdoor use.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@tomschmidt wrote:

I have not seen an RBS50Y satellite.  If it has any ventilation holes, do not block them with paint or it could cause it to overheat.  I have seen others report having water get inside of theirs, possibly due to a crack in the case or vent holes in the top or sides. I would think that any ventilation would have to be on the bottom side to be weatherproof for outdoor use.

The FCC filing seems to show no ventilation holes at all:

https://fccid.io/PY317200377/External-Photos/External-Photos-3662480 

Nor does the Product Data Sheet

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBS50Y.pdf 

The top and bottom inserts appear to have gaskets.  If the one at the top leaks, "oh, my."  Might be worth putting a bead of silicon sealant around the top joint.

I forgot to attach a picture of my "brainstorm" on how to test if paint interferes with the WiFi.  There's obviously no reason to paint the back side.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7