Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y (Outdoor Satellite) in non-Orbi Extender Mode

TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

RBS50Y (Outdoor Satellite) in non-Orbi Extender Mode

Supposedly you can set up the Outdoor Orbi Satellite (RBS50Y) into non-Orbi Extender mode to allow it to be an extender off of a non-Orbi router.   

According to the limited documentation about this functionality, to put it into this mode, you are supposed to turn off the RBS50Y, hold SYNC, then power on while keeping SYNC pushed until the LEDs pulse Blue and White.   However, this does not appear to be working for me.

There is also a special FW (RBS50Y-EXT-V1.0.0.30) but nothing in the documentation that says you need to load this to the RBS50Y FIRST to enable this functionality, or whether this is something that is a FW fix for this functionality AFTER you set it up.

Has anyone been successful in doing this and any recommendations/suggestions on how to make it work?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Wild guess you talk of these two links:

How do I set up my Orbi Outdoor Satellite in Extender Mode?

RBS50Y Firmware Version 1.0.0.30 (Orbi Extender Mode)

Lots of confusion...

Message 3 of 7
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@schumaku    Those are the pieces of documentation (or lack thereof) that I am speaking of.

@FURRYe38   So, from one of the posts in the thread you noted, it appears I MUST flash the other EXT firmware before I can put it into EXT (non-Orbi) mode.

Thanks to the both of you for responding.  Hopefully a few more users will give some additional guidance.  If not, I guess I'll dive into the deep end, and hope no rocks underneath the surface.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Hope it works for you. 

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

Those are the pieces of documentation (or lack thereof) that I am speaking of.

@FURRYe38   So, from one of the posts in the thread you noted, it appears I MUST flash the other EXT firmware before I can put it into EXT (non-Orbi) mode.

Thanks to the both of you for responding.  Hopefully a few more users will give some additional guidance.  If not, I guess I'll dive into the deep end, and hope no rocks underneath the surface.

Message 5 of 7
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Well, I know that it is definitely NOT  flash  the EXT version of the firmware first.   I tried that and it said it was not a valid or correct file.

So, maybe it is something they tried... but never really got it working.

I'll keep trying things - if I make any progress, I will update this thread.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't seem to get it working, you might contact NG support and have them help you out. Sounds like someting is missing from the setup steps. 

@Blanca_O 

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

Well, I know that it is definitely NOT  flash  the EXT version of the firmware first.   I tried that and it said it was not a valid or correct file.

So, maybe it is something they tried... but never really got it working.

I'll keep trying things - if I make any progress, I will update this thread.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7