Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y Satelite Firmware Update

Jeffgear
Luminary

RBS50Y Satelite Firmware Update

Hi all

I noticed a new firmware release was available for the RBR50v2 and RBS50v2 at the weekend. I manually download the files and successfully updated my router and indoor satellite from v2.7.3.22 to v2.7.4.24 with no issues.

However, I cannot find the v2.7.4.24 firmware file for the RBS50Yv2 Outdoor Satellite. I tried the RBS50v2 file and it rejected it, so it appears there are very specific firmware variants for the indoor and outdoor satellites.

Just bit concerned that one of my satellites is running an older firmware without the latest bug and vulnerability fixes.

Is it normal for the firmware versions to be phased out over a period of time or has the outdoor satellite been dropped from the supported list?

Thanks

Jeff

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Its normal for them to be done in phases. 

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jeffgear,

It is best practice for the firmware to be pushed in phases.  This is done to ensure the updated firmware is compatible with the end-users.

For future reference please only install the firmware specified for the device. 

Which firmware do you have currently installed on your RBS50Yv2?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
Jeffgear
Luminary

Hi KevinLiT

I'm still running v2.7.3.22 on the outdoor satellite as there's no v2.7.4.22 for it as there is with the indoor satellite and router. 

Message 4 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for confirming @Jeffgear,

Firmware v2.7.3.22 is the current active firmware for the RBS50Y.  Please keep in mind that the outdoor version is different from the indoor version. Therefore, device updates will vary from version to version. 

Please refer to the following pages for the current firmware for your device:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbs50yv2.aspx

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Looks like there's a firmware update out for the RBS50Y now. I don't see it on the website yet, but my RBS50Y updated itself to version 2.7.4.12 about a day ago according to its uptime.

Message 6 of 7
Jeffgear
Luminary

Just admin'ed into the RBR50v2 and it reports no firmware updates available for my outdoor satellite RBSY50v2 which is still on 2.7.3.22, where as my RBR and indoor satellite RBS50v2 were both updated (manually) to 2.7.4.24. and been stable since.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50Yv2#download also reports that only 2.7.3.22 is available.

I will check both every few days unless it magically updates itself in the mean time.

2.7.4.12 could be a regional variant for your country. I'm AU/NZ so I'm probably bottom of the world pecking order!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7