Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50Y WI-FI coverage

ILMer
Follower

RBS50Y WI-FI coverage

I want to extend my WI-FI to my shop which is about 250 feet or so from my Orbi router. Does the RBS50Y have enough coverage to acieve this and without a lot of buffering?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50Y WI-FI coverage

typical distances for 2.4ghz is up to 150ft indoors and 300ft outdoors. this is significantly less with 5ghz.  Orbi can use 2.4ghz for backhaul but its much lower throughput.  As well as those distances are "up to" distances and your speeds are going to decrease with distance. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50Y WI-FI coverage

@ILMer wrote:

I want to extend my WI-FI to my shop which is about 250 feet or so from my Orbi router. Does the RBS50Y have enough coverage to acieve this and without a lot of buffering?

I agree with @plemans that 250 ft. is "asking a lot" and unlikely to be satisfactory.  Other community members have mentioned using products designed for "distance".  I would search the forum for ubiquity. (For example, https://www.amazon.com/NanoStation-NS-5ACL-US-802-11ac-Airmax-Radio/dp/B07GPQKLXW/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2...)

(I am not pushing Ubiquity.  A number of companies sell "point to point" links that are a lot less expensive than a RBS50Y.)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7