Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y blinking amber for 30 seconds then off then amber again for 30 seconds

timmboettch
Aspirant

RBS50Y blinking amber for 30 seconds then off then amber again for 30 seconds

My outdoor Orbi is working great but will blink orange for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds and do this forever. I read something about a warmup when cold out but that should only do this for 15 minutes. Temp is about 10 degrees F. I need to turn this off as a huge risk for someone to steal the device when flashing like a beacon at night.

Any ideas? I might just be stuck covering it up which is crazy for this expensive of a unit.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50Y blinking amber for 30 seconds then off then amber again for 30 seconds

The User Guide says it may blink for 15 minutes while warming up. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf

You are pretty close to the -4F lower limit for the RBS50Y.  Maybe it is colder where the satellite is placed than the thermometer reads? 

I can see that someone is more likely to notice a blinking amber light and climb a ladder in 10F cold weather to find that the satellite is locked to the mounting plate, than they are to notice a white LED illumination light.  If the LED is set to "off", then I would just slap a piece of electrical tape over it.  If you want the white LED (on a schedule), then I think you are stuck until it warms up.

Message 2 of 5
timmboettch
Aspirant

LED is off so of course there is no white light just the amber light that comes every 30 seconds flashing as noted, even though LED is set to off. There is no need to climb a tree, no idea where that comment is coming from. Trying to get rid of the super bright beacon that runs all night. If someone is aware of a real method to turn this problem off for me please share.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

If the white LED is set to "off", then I would cover the amber LED until the weather changes.  Sorry about the ladder.  I don't usually mount outdoor electronics where they are easy to reach.  That was a silly assumption on my part.

If the RBS50Y doesn't "come alive" when the temperature is clearly above -4F where the device is mounted, maybe it's time to make a warranty claim for a replacement?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Take the RBSY inside and see if it does the same thing...

@timmboettch wrote:

My outdoor Orbi is working great but will blink orange for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds and do this forever. I read something about a warmup when cold out but that should only do this for 15 minutes. Temp is about 10 degrees F. I need to turn this off as a huge risk for someone to steal the device when flashing like a beacon at night.

Any ideas? I might just be stuck covering it up which is crazy for this expensive of a unit.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7