Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50Y not syncing

RBS50Y not syncing

Just purchased a RBS50Y to add to my RBK50 sytem.  When I try to sync I always end up with a solid magenta light.  I've tried moving the satellite closer, futher away, resetting it, powering it on and off, etc.  I've tried using the hard sync button on my router as well as trying through iOS and the web portal.  Please help!

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the RBR50?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

It's possible that the RBSY has older FW loaded on it and this causes problems with RBRs loaded with newer more recent FW code. Need to get the RBSY updated if possible. https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

Message 2 of 14

FW on the router is V2.2.1.210.

Sysco DPC3010 is what the current modem is. 

Going through your link now but given the RBSY has no ethernet port how would I be able to hook into it to force an update?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I forgot about the RBSY not having a port. Hmmm...

I think this maybe something you need to contact NG support about. 

If you reset the RBSY and trying to sync it while in the same room and it's failing to show a BLUE led status and only PINK, seems that the RBSY isn't getting connected correctly. I know there are two modes the RBSY work in, Orbi and and Orbi Extender Mode. There are two varients of FW for this unit. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 14

Chated with actual tech support and they said the unit is DOA.  Guess I'll go back to the dude on eBay I bought it from and see if I can get my money back.  It was brand new in box so I figured I would be safe. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, ok. Ya, kind of hard to get things from eBay. Some things are questionable. Iv'e stopped buying some things from eBay. Too many people trying so scam buyers. 

If you can get your money back, find a unit on Amazon. 

Message 6 of 14

Yeah I get my money back through paypal so I'm still covered.  But still new in box is new in box, thought the days of DOA items were behind us now. 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Well anything could have happened. Shipping or item was dropped or mis-handled. You don't know what happends in the hands of some eBay sellers. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@ChargerMan426 wrote:

Just purchased a RBS50Y to add to my RBK50 sytem.  When I try to sync I always end up with a solid magenta light.  I've tried moving the satellite closer, futher away, resetting it, powering it on and off, etc.  I've tried using the hard sync button on my router as well as trying through iOS and the web portal.  Please help!

If you have Daisy Chain enabled then the RBS50Y will try to connect to either the router or the satellite in your existing RBK50.

Please disable Daisy Chain and try the Sync again.

Message 9 of 14

When I chated with techsupport they said the unit is bad and I needed to return it.  I currnetly only have the RBR plugged in so the new RBSY only has the RBR to comunicate with. 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be best to return it and if you can get one from Amazon, then that unit should be covered under NG support and warranty. 

Message 11 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

You did note the comment about daisy chain right?

Even tho tech support says it is dead, it may not be.

I would double check that before calling it quits.

Message 12 of 14

I did, but while setting things up I only had my router turned on so no other satellites that would be messing with this add on unit. 

Message 13 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

I believe the setting has the potential to effect it even if no other satellites were on.  That version of firmware has been problematic with backhaul.  The fact you got it through ebay tho tells me it probably was defective.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7