Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 ax4200 back haul wired out of sync after a while

BjornMo
Aspirant

RBS750 ax4200 back haul wired out of sync after a while

I have a RBR directly connected to 3 RBS. 1 of the RBS is always out of sync. When I start it up it stated backhaul wired is good, but after a while it goes out of sync.

What I've done so far:
- Updated firmware, now all the same with newest version
- Changed the RBS to different locations in house to others which do work properly
- Reset the RBS
- Disconnected and connected the RBS
- Wireless connection

None of it worked so far
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS750 ax4200 back haul wired out of sync after a while

Is it always the same satellite that goes out of sync?

What if it changes places with one of the other satellites.

Does the problem go with the satellite, or stay with the location?

Message 2 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

Hi Crimpon,
Thanks for getting back.

Yes, always the same satelitte, even when swapping to other places. The same satelitte has the issue, others work fine on all locations.

The satelitte not working properly is the add on (same model, version rbs750 ax4200) as the others, but the others came with the router.
Message 3 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

Adding screenshot, where back haul is out of sync
Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I was hoping to pin this on the embedded ethernet cable moving inside the wall and opening one of the 8 wires.

Dang.

If the add-on satellite is less than 90 days old, Netgear owes you 90 days of complimentary support.  If it is older than 90 days, but less than one year, you can ask for a warranty replacement.

Do I understand correctly that WiFi backhaul also starts off OK and then fails?

Message 5 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

True, I was hoping for something straightforward as well, but cable wise I'm 100% positive it's all correct.
It's 3 days old now, so fairly new.
Whether the WiFi backhaul is working I don't know! I'll check ASAP.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly behind the RBR or is there a LAN switch or a Patch panel in the middile? 

How RBS need to be connected to the RBR: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Swap around RBS to see if the problem follows or not.

@BjornMo wrote:
True, I was hoping for something straightforward as well, but cable wise I'm 100% positive it's all correct.
It's 3 days old now, so fairly new.
Whether the WiFi backhaul is working I don't know! I'll check ASAP.

Message 7 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

I have the (according to the documentation you'd shared) star topology without any switches. I have a modem then the RBR, and all the satelittes are connected to the RBR. I swapped all cables, swapped all satelittes, also tried to connect via all different networkports.

Via WiFi the back haul is stable and works great (see screenshot, but once via cable the satelitte will go out of sync after a certain time (within 5 minutes, while initially states its good).
Message 8 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

Hi Crimpon, wifi back haul is great without any hiccups for a hours now.
Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@BjornMo wrote:
Hi Crimpon, wifi back haul is great without any hiccups for a hours now.

This seems to present a cost/benefit decision.

• This satellite is clearly defective.  It is supposed to function with ethernet backhaul.
  • Ethernet backhaul is better in the sense of being a full-duplex, dedicated link between router and satellite, rather than a 'one unit talks at a time' WiFi channel shared with two other satellites.
  • But is it 'better enough' that anyone would notice a difference in performance?
  • And.... is this margiinal improvement worth going through the effort to convince Netgear to send a warranty replacement?

Since this satellite is brand new, I would consider opening a case with Netgear and see what their response is.  I would also think about how much time and effort this problem represents.

Message 10 of 11
BjornMo
Aspirant

Thanks Crimpon!

That's not the answer I was hoping for. Today I won't really care to much, for the future I can't tell what I really want and what my needs are. Nevertheless it does bother me if I payed for something without proper functioning.

I think I'll try to refund / renewal for the addon satelitte with the retailer first.

Ill let you know what the outcome will be.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7