Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBW 30 Firmware 2.5.0.4 and 2.6.1.6 files are corrupt

JS142
Aspirant

RBW 30 Firmware 2.5.0.4 and 2.6.1.6 files are corrupt

Before and after unzipping firmware downloads for RBW30 versions 2.5.0.4 and 2.6.1.6, the firmware file is labeled as "Recovered File Fragments"  instead of "Disk Image File" that I get when I download firmware updates for my RBR50. 

Is there any plan to fix these RBW30 firmware files?

My RBW30s won't update automatically -- message says "update failed" and I can't do the update manually because I get "...Fragments"  RBW30s are currently running 2.5.0.2

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JS142
Aspirant

Re: RBW 30 Firmware 2.5.0.4 and 2.6.1.6 files are corrupt

In file explorer I changed the extension of the unzipped firmware download file from .chk to .img

then I had to connect to each RBW30 unit individually using their respective IP addresses.  From there I could work through the menus to get to manual firmware update and use the renamed .img file.  The file loaded and updated.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] the firmware file is labeled as "Recovered File Fragments"
> instead of "Disk Image File" that I get when I download firmware updates
> for my RBR50.

"labeled" by _whom_?  Windows?  What does Windows know about what's
in that file?  And what do you care how it's "labeled" by Windows?
Hint: "Disk Image File" is wrong, too.

> Is there any plan to fix these RBW30 firmware files?

I doubt it.  There might be, if there were anything wrong them.

> [...] I can't do the update manually because I get "...Fragments"
> [...]

"[You] get" what, exactly, from what, exactly, when you do what,
exactly?

"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1721037#M124018

Message 2 of 6
JS142
Aspirant

In file explorer I changed the extension of the unzipped firmware download file from .chk to .img

then I had to connect to each RBW30 unit individually using their respective IP addresses.  From there I could work through the menus to get to manual firmware update and use the renamed .img file.  The file loaded and updated.

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> In file explorer I changed the extension of the unzipped firmware
> download file from .chk to .img

I'd expect that not to be helpful, and to cause more trouble than it
might save.  Some devices won't accept a file with the wrong file type
(".XXX").

> [...] and use the renamed .img file. The file loaded and updated.

And did that method _not_ work with a file with its original name?

Message 4 of 6
JS142
Aspirant

Based on your comment that there was nothing wrong with the file but perhaps the arbitrary file ext name  and your implication that Netgear and Windows might not be on the same page when unzipping and naming the file, I figured changing the file ext name might work.

As for connecting to each individual satellite, no I did not try that with the .chk file because the ORBI manual update page told me that the file type was wrong when I tried to upload the .chk file.  I don't remember the message after I changed the ext to .img, but it wasn't wrong file type.   Whatever the message, it occured to me to try to connect to each satellite one at a time and do the upload that way. 

Some other notes:  my RBW30 were not factory paired to the RBR50.  The three RBW30s had been part of another system and I had to reset them in order to pair them to the RBR50.

I previously had trouble updating this and another RBR50 which came with firmware versions in the 1.x.x.x range which would not auto update to the current 2.7.1.60..  I eventually manged to update to 2.7.1.60 by updating first to the lowest 2.x.x.x, then 2.2.1.212, then 2.7.1.60.  I stumbled on this solution after reading the release notes on random 2.x..x.x updates.  It would be nice if the release notes on all updates included some of these secrets.  If Netgear thinks that no one would want to update 1.x.x.x firmware to the latest version, they should think again.  My RBR50s came right out of their shrink wrapped boxes  Some date stamps on the packaging showed one unit dated from 2017 and the other from early 2020.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Once the files are unpacked, .CHK or .IMG Should NOT be opened thus they are not currupt. These file formats are only used and opened and processed by NG devices, i.e. orbi units. So the only thing you need to do is to unpack the .zip file, then use the Orbi devcies web page to manually select these files and manually send the file to the device and manually update it. Do not attempt to open the .chk or .img file using windows explorer or any other windows applilcation. These are only used and processed by NG devices for there FW updates. 

@JS142 wrote:

Before and after unzipping firmware downloads for RBW30 versions 2.5.0.4 and 2.6.1.6, the firmware file is labeled as "Recovered File Fragments"  instead of "Disk Image File" that I get when I download firmware updates for my RBR50. 

Is there any plan to fix these RBW30 firmware files?

My RBW30s won't update automatically -- message says "update failed" and I can't do the update manually because I get "...Fragments"  RBW30s are currently running 2.5.0.2

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7